MAME kinda sucks

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#25MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 6:09pm

Justin (Kiki) Bond for Mame or Vera or Miss Gooch.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#26MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 6:13pm

I think Harvey Fierstein would make a beautiful Mame, but thats just me.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 6:32pm

Mame is great

Dear World is another story.

Poster Emeritus

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#28MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:03pm

Ummm. Wasn't there a fox hunt in Mame? And didn't Mame turn the whole thing around by rescuing the fox, passing the hounds, and bringing back the fox alive? Didn't that change the face of fox hunting and bring back a new gentility to the sport of the hunt? Isn't that what all that "you brought style" and "You came, you saw, you conquered and absolutely nothing is the same" all about?
Funny. I never thought it was that complex an idea that a Yankee taught the Southerners something new and her charm managed to charm them unlike any other Yankee had ever been able to before.

gcal
#29MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/12/08 at 1:14am

Andrea McArdle as Mame

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#30MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 5:41pm

"I'd rather spend time in Liverpool than our South."

Ahhhhhhh....

*a light goes on in the dim recesses of Scripps' mind*

So if Mame were to show up in Blood Brothers she'd stop Mickey from shooting Eddie, get jobs for all the Scallys and arrange contraception for "our Donna Marie who's already got three."

And still bring home the fox.

I understand now.

Thanks for posting y'all.

Connemara Profile Photo
Connemara
#31MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 5:56pm

I don't know how anyone can hate Mame. It's a masterpiece and is without question in Jerry Herman's top three (Le Cage, Mame and Hello Dolly!).

It made Lansbury a theater star FYI. For that reason alone it deserves respect and adoration.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#32MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 6:13pm

My very first Broadway show was a matinee of Mame just after it opened. That night I saw Hello, Dolly. If I had gotten hit by a bus that night it would have taken the undertaker at least two days to wipe the grin off my face.

Soon after that they passed a law that no one should ever be allowed to see Mame and Hello, Dolly in the same day.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#33MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 6:52pm

Patash, I know nothing about your sexuality and it's none of my business, but you have to agree that's about the gayest day anyone can hope for!!

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#34MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:19pm

theatre kid, your guess is right, except for one thing. La Cage had not yet been created -- that coupled with Mame or Hello, Dolly would have been the Gayest day ever --- LOL. Is now the time to say that the very next day I saw Ethel Merman in the revival of Annie Get Your Gun??

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#35MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:33pm

The success of the piece truly hinges on who is cast in the title role.

Over the years the show has morphed into a sad showpiece for past their prime personalities hungry for a little diva worship.

I think the REAL secret to casting Mame is to have a TOP NOTCH actress in the role.

I "think" I remember Angela Lansbury commenting on other actresses playing the role. She said that they tended to play MAME! while she (Lansbury) played the character Mame Dennis.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#36MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/14/08 at 9:18pm

It's a fun musical comedy with some brilliant songs ("It's Today", "Open a New Window", "Bosom Buddies" and espeically "If He Walked into my Life") and has what I consider to be Jerry Herman's very best score. It should definately see a revival. It's about a free-spirited, non-comformist that doesnt accept bigotry or hatred. We need that nowadays.

Urban
#37MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/15/08 at 5:42am

I am going to a concert version of Mame in October

Friendofethelm
#38MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/15/08 at 7:10pm

Right before Angela Lansbury began her long stint on MURDER, SHE WROTE, she starred in a Broadway revival of MAME. It was a lavish, faithful production. Lansbury was as vibrant, glamorous, and exciting as ever, and ...

Nobody came.

I personally like the show, but for it to work today, I think you'd need to stage and cast it in a fresh way. This might sound mad, but I think it would be very interesting to see MAME given a more intimate production with fluid staging, less sets and a smaller chorus that would focus on the well-constructed script, tuneful, clever songs and the central relationship between Mame and Patrick.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#39MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/15/08 at 9:09pm

According to MANY critics and written accounts of the production, the '83 revival was anything but lavish. "Cheap" "Bus and Truck" were often used to describe the show's design.

I've always felt that the show was too much a watered down version of the original Lawrence and Lee play.

A fresh look at the book wouldn't hurt. I even think THATS HOW YOUNG I FEEL could work with some minor book adjustments.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 09:09 PM

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#40MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:04pm

Did anyone here see Christine Baranski do it in DC a year ago? I think it got quite mixed reviews, but never talked to anyone who actually saw it.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#41MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:38pm

"After the Civil War, the South remained poor for many years."

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#42MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/16/08 at 7:51am

Having thought about it a bit more, I'm becoming uncomfortable with the Mame/Blood Brothers combo. I think the scally's would steal her mink and sell it down the pub. Gooch would probably get knocked up again. At least Vera would have the commonsense to stay at home.

Better to send Dolly Levi to Easington to find a new Mrs for Billy Eliott's Dad.
Updated On: 8/16/08 at 07:51 AM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#43MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/16/08 at 11:53am

I saw a fabulous production of Mame in Seattle this past February starring Dee Hoty.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#44MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/16/08 at 2:11pm

I think i'd like to see Bernadette Peters or Victoria Clarck take a shot at it. Eventually I'd kill to see Rachel York do it!

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#45MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/16/08 at 4:46pm

York would be great in about 10-16 years. Clark and Peters are more Dolly material.

Would have loved to see Michele Lee or Leslie Uggums when they did it. Again, Hoty was pitch perfect.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

FMills
#46MAME kinda lays there like a bad date
Posted: 8/20/08 at 5:50pm

I saw the Dee Hoty production as well! She was brilliant. I have to admit it's not my favorite show, but it really held together in this production.

Videos