Why Wasn't LB A Hit?

SporkGoddess
#25re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 7:35pm

Let's face it, the book is absolutely terrible.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

EmieMarie Profile Photo
EmieMarie
#26re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 7:52pm

I predict that as soon as the rights come out every high school girl will be begging their drama teacher to do LB as the spring musical or whatnot...

Fear no more the heat o' the sun, Nor the furious winter's rages; Thou thy worldly task hast done, Home art gone and ta'en thy wages: Golden lads and girls all must, As chimney-sweepers, come to dust. ~Cymbeline

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#27re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 7:56pm

Still sad it's gone. re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?

I think it's almost 2 year run was pretty good considering the theater it was in. I think if it was in a smaller venue and the show itself wasn't so gosh darn expensive to run, it would have lasted longer.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#28re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 8:05pm

Despite an enjoyable, fun, and catchy score, it's just not a good show, IMO.

I can understand why many love it, but I think it would have needed to be a PHENOMENAL adaptation of the charming film with AMAZING reviews and word of mouth to have really been a hit.

Personally, I hate what the show did to the character of Elle. The terrible book and some of the lyrics make Elle, sadly, much more shallow and vapid in the musical. It's really unfortunate that in the show, Emmett essentially achieves for her what she does for herself in the film. Wasn't Elle's own true potential and success once she applies herself the whole point and charm behind the story?

SporkGoddess
#29re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 8:14pm

I agree. Elle didn't come across as intelligent at all.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#30re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 8:20pm

It is weird... Emmett came off as so much more appealing and interesting in the musical than in the film, but it seems like they sacrificed Elle's character for that. It's kind of like how the musical version of Les Mis focused so much on Eponine that it basically ignored Cosette... who's the important one. I did like the way Elle proposed to Emmett, though.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 10/22/08 at 08:20 PM

KathyGriffinLovesYou Profile Photo
KathyGriffinLovesYou
#31re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 8:20pm

Scarywarhol. Exactly.

and LB SUCKED!!!!!
Horrible main character. Elles funny the first couple minutes. It gets old.

SporkGoddess
#32re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 8:50pm

Honestly, I prefer movie Emmett. He was funnier and you didn't just the impression he wanted to be a lawyer so he could make money. I liked how he supported Elle without her having to lean on him.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#33re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 8:54pm

Oh... perhaps it just comes down to the fact that I've always loved Christian Borle and have never thought much of the Wilsons. Blast, my bias is showing again.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

SporkGoddess
#34re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 9:08pm

Nah, a lot of people prefer musical!Emmett, so I'm actually in the minority. re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?

I think the problem is Elle and Emmett's relationship is super subtle in the movie and the musical tries to make it more overt, but it's stuck to the same basic narrative (you don't see anything happen until the ending when they get engaged). However, in the musical it doesn't work because the relationship isn't subtle.

And, like you said, in making Emmett too prominent you sacrifice Elle's character.

geekgirl06 Profile Photo
geekgirl06
#35re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 9:29pm

Maybe that's why I liked the LB musical better than the movie! Because no matter the context, I never really liked Elle to begin with so the musical never hurt my idea of her. But the Emmett/Elle relationship in the movie always rubbed me the wrong way. When they get engaged, it's too much of a Where the hell did that come from? moment. If there really never is a relationship formed in the movie, why even have an engagement?

Anyway, as to why it wasn't a hit: Has anybody mentioned overexposure? It's publicity campaign was waaaaaay off. If your musical isn't a strong piece of theatrical genius, don't broadcast the entire thing on MTV. People are going to watch it, think it's either cute or crap, but very few of today's average people are going to go "WOW! I have to get to Broadway now so I can see that masterpiece live!" Also, when people watch a TV spot or see an ad and are bombarded with a bunch of girls running around singing "OMG, OMG You Guys!!!", they aren't going to rush out and buy tickets, they are going to make fun of song in question and move on with their lives. Perhaps if they had focused on a different song they might have lived a little longer. Who knows. And as much as I may think this musical is nothing to cry over, it is kind of sad that it has closed while a musical abomination like Young Frankenstein whose only redeeming value is the set, can remain open (though hopefully not for long!)

Dancing through life... For the next ten minutes

WishingOnlyWounds2
#36re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 9:32pm

Despite great direction and a wonderful cast, the show was not a hit because the book was uninspired and the score was unmemorable.

"unemmorable."? How could you not remember a song entitled "OMIGOD YOU GUYS"? I had that stuck in my head for weeks after seeing it along with "So Much Better" and "Legally Blonde".

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#37re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 10:04pm

See, that's the problem. I only remember "Omigod You guys." I don't recall anything else from that show. And I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the changes in the character of Elle. Reese Witherspoon was awesome in the movie, but Laura Bell Bundy just annoyed the crap out of me. I don't know Bailey Hanks, so I can't comment on her portrayal.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#38re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 10:12pm

Personally I found the show vapid and boring, the music bland and the book insipid. But the bread dead tweens who screamed at every performance shot be shot.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#39re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 10:15pm

Oh, like only "tweens" were really the only ones screaming... seriously just say teens this isn't Disney Channel.

Many people screamed, of all ages.

I was also lucky enough to see it 4 times with no screaming... my 5th time, closing night... was loud.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

SporkGoddess
#40re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 10:35pm

geekgirl06: The relationship happens during the time we don't see. I actually like how it's subtle like that.

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#41re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 10:39pm

I agree about Elle's character. In the movie during the bunny costume scene when Warner tells Elle that she's "not smart enough," you see the look on her face change from happiness to disbelief to anger to determination, and she says, "I'll show you how valuable Elle Woods can be!" I always love that she pushed herself to prove everyone wrong. But in the musical, Emmett is the one to push her into that during "Chip On My Shoulder" which always irked me.

Also, she got herself accepted into Harvard in the film and didn't have to do the "what about love?" crap she did in the musical.

I love a lot of the songs from the show, it's fun to sing in the car. I haven't seen the show but I plan on seeing the tour, so we'll see how that goes. I just always thought these character changes were unnecessary.

Updated On: 10/23/08 at 10:39 PM

SporkGoddess
#42re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 11:06pm

It was unrealistic how she didn't get in. She had a 4.0 and a top LSAT score. Numbers are what matter in law school admissions.

Sorry, I could write an essay on what's wrong with the show's book.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#43re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 11:18pm

"How could you not remember a song entitled "OMIGOD YOU GUYS"? I had that stuck in my head for weeks after seeing it along with "So Much Better" and "Legally Blonde"."

Just because you can recall one song doesn't make the score memorable. I only found a few memorable songs from the show, but overall, the score was pretty unmemorable.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

zamedy
#44re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 11:40pm

It was cute but I wasn't blown away. Some songs were very catchy, others were very forgettable. The classroom scenes in Act One dragged and lost my interest. The book is weak. And yes, it's audience appeal is limited. Sure the teeny boppers and gays love it. But outside of that, who really? Not the middle age to older Broadway couple who has more disposable income to spend then the teens and tweens.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#45re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 11:46pm

I have a lot of issues with musical compared to the movie. True, the movie isn't excellent stellar source, but it's leagues better than the musical, mostly due to its cast.

But as others have said, the musical totally screws up the "girl power!" message of the movie by making Elle entirely dependent on Emmett (and other characters).

Enid the lesbian isn't funny. Sorry. Another example of something from the movie being made way too overt.

The "return to the scene of the crime" thing is a WTF moment and just an excuse to have a reprise of a catchy tune and another set change. Seriously? Instead of having Elle surprise everyone in the courtroom by linking trivial knowledge to the murder in a totally professional address, we have to get a 3 minute plot detour to a bathroom that culminates in Enid the lesbian in a bad wig?

The Harvard introductory songs suck. "Blood in the Water" is particularly bad and completely cuts the "surprise" of Callahan's "offer" to Elle by making him into a totally unscrupulous, money-hungry villain.

Cutting the female professor and having her place in the plot at the end given to Vivian doesn't really work.

The book really, truly is a mess.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BNN
#46re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 11:51pm

Just to add my 2 cents once more, I found the Delta Nu girls to be the best part of the show. Maybe because I secretly wanted to be one, because it looks like their parts were the most fun in the show.

Tick Tock

#47re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/22/08 at 11:58pm

To be honest, I'll say I'll have to agree to disagree with most people in this thread.

I think the musical does more better than Reese's movie does. I love the movie still, but after seeing the musical I can pick out more flaws in it than before I had seen the musical.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/23/08 at 12:00am

Such as what?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

#49re: Why Wasn't LB A Hit?
Posted: 10/23/08 at 12:10am

My main one being in the movie, Emmett isn't even a character, he's virtually a piece of boring wood that appears every now and then and the relationship with Elle comes out of nowhere. The musical's take on their relationship is more real.

The rest of the auxiliary cast in the movie is virtually character-less as well. Elle, Warner, Vivienne, Paulette, and Brooke are the only characters in the movie. Every one is else is boring and wooden. The musical gives everyone, even a unimportant as a character as Enid a vivid fleshed out character.

I don't agree that Elle's message of girl power is changed in the slightest, yes, Emmett gives her the realization that she needs to push herself toward her goal, but realistic isn't that how it would go? Doesn't change Elle's message as a woman or character in the slightest. She's still the one who achieved the great feat of getting in Harvard, getting the internship, winning the case, and graduating Harvard at the top of the class. Emmett can't take her class work and do it for her now can he? So Emmett, does NOT get her where she ends up in the end of the musical, only she and she herself does.

But I've said enough, you can disagree if you want it's your right, but I much prefer the musical to the movie.

Updated On: 10/23/08 at 12:10 AM

Videos