pixeltracker

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements- Page 21

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements

Birdwell
#500HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 11:05am

As a woman of a certain age and re the distaining on Brian Stokes Mitchell as GW: diversity has many forms. Not necessarily an endorsement, just an observation.

Olivia11
#501HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 11:43am

DottieD'Luscia said:
For those who have seen Lexi, has she been given a long mourning coat for It's Quiet Uptown, as opposed to the bolero the understudies seem to be wearing?"

Saw it last night with Lexi and she did have full length mourning coat on. She also did a great job as Eliza. 

Liza's Headband
#502HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 11:48am

Forget age... what about vocal style? Stokes has a purely classical sound and is very "old school." I couldn't imagine a voice, as wonderful as it is, more mismatched for this score than his. What an odd suggestion... 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#503HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 11:54am

George Washington's songs sound like classic musical theater numbers to me. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#504HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:21pm

macnyc said: "George Washington's songs sound like classic musical theater numbers to me."

On what planet?

Liza's Headband
#505HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:24pm

George Washington's songs sound like classic musical theater numbers to me.

Seriously? Gurl, are you cray cray? There's really only one genuinely "classic musical theatre number" in the show, and it's called What'd I Miss?

BroadwayConcierge
#506HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:31pm

Not to discredit you at all, Headband, but I also personally don't think "What'd I Miss" is that classic of musical theatre. "Burn," maybe? Breaking the trend of "traditional musical theatre" is kinda one of the points of Hamilton...

Sam2
#507HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:32pm

^ What about That would be enough, You'll be back or Dear Theadosia? I'd consider these as 'classic musical theatre numbers' as well.

Liza's Headband
#508HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:49pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Not to discredit you at all, Headband, but I also personally don't think "What'd I Miss" is that classic of musical theatre. "Burn," maybe? Breaking the trend of "traditional musical theatre" is kinda one of the points of Hamilton...

"

I'd love to know what how you'd describe that song, then. 

BroadwayConcierge
#509HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:53pm

Liza's Headband said: "I'd love to know what how you'd describe that song, then."

Straight from the Genius page...

"This song, and Thomas Jefferson’s style throughout the show, has a different sound than many of the other characters. Jefferson was older than Hamilton’s cohort by over a decade, and he has very different, and somewhat backwards priorities. To reflect that, his songs draw on old-school African American genres like ragtime, boogie-woogie and other Southern jazz flavors that pay homage to his Virginian loyalties. There are also pretty wonderfully apparent strains of funk & soul music, the genres that helped birth the hip hop movement embodied by Hamilton and his friends. His major musical inspirations were Gil Scott-Heron and Outkast. There’s also a lot of Cab Calloway—the real grandfather of rap—in there."

There are definitely musical theatre strains in it, but it's really not "genuinely" classic musical theatre...

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#510HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 1:45pm

Let me make myself clear. I am a big Brian Stokes Mitchell fan ever since his days on TRAPPER JOHN, MD, which most of you probably don't even know about or remember.

Stokes vocal chops not to mention his age are a mismatch for what any of the male roles in HAMILTON require.

Some shows/roles are not for all performers no matter how phenomenally talented they are. This is the case with Stokes and Hamilton. They are not going to cast a 60 year old man to play a role whose contemporaries are between the ages of 25-40. 

Stokes looks great for his age but let's be realistic he could not pass for 40. 

DivaProf
#511HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 1:58pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Let me make myself clear. I am a big Brian Stokes Mitchell fan ever since his days on TRAPPER JOHN, MD, which most of you probably don't even know about or remember.

Stokes vocal chops not to mention his age are a mismatch for what any of the male roles in HAMILTON require.

Some shows/roles are not for all performers no matter how phenomenally talented they are. This is the case with Stokes and Hamilton. They are not going to cast a 60 year old man to play a role whose contemporaries are between the ages of 25-40. 

Stokes looks great for his age but let's be realistic he could not pass for 40. 

"

First post on this thread HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements.  I love Brian Stokes Mitchell as well, but have to agree with this.  He just doesn't fit the "young, scrappy and hungry" mold of the other characters.  Even given the fact that Washington is meant to be a bit older and more polished than the others.  Also, and most importantly in my opinion, can Brian Stokes Mitchell rap???  

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#512HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:03pm

ERASED AS BASED ON A COMPLETE MISCONCEPTION.

Apologies.

Updated On: 8/9/16 at 02:03 PM

aaaaaa15
#513HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:14pm

I believe they were discussing him for the role of George Washington, not King George. The King is specified as for Caucasian actors.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#514HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:15pm

Ah, me bad..... whoa...... I'm erasing.  Immediately.

Too bad Mitchell isn't playing the King instead.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#515HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 3:10pm

George Washington is the elder statesman of the piece. He's been around, been battered and beaten, and has regrets. He looks back with pain at his youthful exploits, when he led his men into a massacre and witnessed their deaths firsthand. He is in direct contrast to the young, scrappy and hungry generation and is not supposed to "fit the mold" of the younger set. He's 23 years old than Hamilton.

Updated On: 8/9/16 at 03:10 PM

umbrellaman
#516HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 4:17pm

Is it unusual that they haven't announced a new Lafayette/Jefferson yet?   They've brought in outside folks for the other principals (don't count Javier Munoz), rather than elevate a current cast member.   However, since the only thing in the rumor mill is Jevon McFerrin rehearsing to be a swing - perhaps the plan is to get him ready and then officially name one of the current understudies?   Perhaps they can't do that quite yet because they need the flexibility with the swings, especially without a permanent Burr replacement?   

Liza's Headband
#517HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 4:21pm

macnyc said: "George Washington is the elder statesman of the piece. He's been around, been battered and beaten, and has regrets. He looks back with pain at his youthful exploits, when he led his men into a massacre and witnessed their deaths firsthand. He is in direct contrast to the young, scrappy and hungry generation and is not supposed to "fit the mold" of the younger set. He's 23 years old than Hamilton.

"

Find video or audio of BSM rapping, then get back to me. Regardless of his age, his style is simply not built for this show. And that's okay. No need to deny it. 

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#518HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 4:22pm

I'm thinking they want to spread out the replacement announcements. 

BroadwayConcierge
#519HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 4:32pm

I don't think it's weird they haven't announced a new Lafayette/Jefferson.

I don't think it's weird they haven't announced Dixon's start date.

I don't think it's weird they haven't announced Renée's final performance.

Why? Because they have tickets sold from now til the end of time. They have absolutely no time crunch to be on the ball with press releases and casting announcements.

Yes, it's frustrating for us devotees and hungry Broadway news consumers, but we're a small niche that means nothing for their sales (and most of us have already bought tickets anyway!). They're settled in financially for the long haul; they'll take their sweet time dropping news.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#520HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 4:36pm

^Thats why I think Mandy could be going in when Chicago goes into Tech, She's already in rehearsal and it seems that the new Lafayette/Jefferson isn't. 

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#521HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 10:16pm

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements

DottieD'Luscia said: For those who have seen Lexi, has she been given a long mourning coat for It's Quiet Uptown, as opposed to the bolero the understudies seem to be wearing?

Olivia11 said: Saw it last night with Lexi and she did have full length mourning coat on. She also did a great job as Eliza. 

I AM SO GLAD TO READ THIS!  LOL!  Thanks for asking Dottie!  

Updated On: 8/9/16 at 10:16 PM

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#522HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 10:29pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Let me make myself clear. I am a big Brian Stokes Mitchell fan ever since his days on TRAPPER JOHN, MD, which most of you probably don't even know about or remember.

I remember! Every Sunday!  I used to watch CBS's All In the Family, One Day at a Time, Alice, The Jeffersons and then Trapper John, MD!  When I went to see Shuffle Along, I was more excited about seeing him than Audra!  but as much as I admire him and his career, no, I don't think he'd read well for the roles in Hamilton.

Updated On: 8/9/16 at 10:29 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#523HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 10:58pm

Liza, I don't recall George Washington rapping. Maybe I'm forgetting something. 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#524HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 8/9/16 at 11:06pm

macnyc said: "Liza, I don't recall George Washington rapping. Maybe I'm forgetting something. "

He raps in "Right Hand Man," maybe somewhere else? But his rap is a lot less intense than everyone else's. It's nothing Mitchell couldn't do. And the idea that him not looking 40 somehow makes him inadequate to play the role is ridiculous. Lin-Manuel Miranda played a 19-year-old Hamilton with extraordinary results, and Anthony Ramos plays a 9-year old Philip. I think we can handle Brian Stokes Mitchell as a 45-year-old man in this particular show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos