pixeltracker

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 21

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

MemorableUserName
#50074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:14pm

For those complaining about the show starting late, well, that's what happens when you delay your show until the fall. Football always runs long, so CBS's Sunday shows usually start late in the fall. (And considering football, 60 Minutes and Big Brother all get higher viewership than the Tonys, I'm sure they don't care in the least about showing the Tonys on time.) CBS knew it would likely happen. It's how it is.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#50174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:14pm

Re: American Utopia, is every audience member on their feet the whole time live at the St. James like they are now for the ceremony? Might be possible since it's a concert, just want a confirmation.

Oh look, a bibu!

DEHFanatic Profile Photo
DEHFanatic
#50274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:15pm

It is available live on Paramount+ just click the menu and "Live TV"/

Total DEH fanatic and love to chat with similarly obsessed fans. Please feel free to PM me. In times like these, we could all use a friend.

angoradebs
#50374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

The late start is totally normal for fall Sundays on CBS. In markets where football runs late, the primetime shows start late and air in their entirety. It's not new at all, it's just the first time it's affected the Tony's since they normally air in June.

SFFrontRow
#50474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

SmoothLover said: "Karen was great in Rouge. I am sorry to hear that she is not well liked by so many."

I thought she was excellent in Moulin Rouge, but I had to contact the production company to complain of her being understudied even though it was no the scheduled day for the understudy. They comped a ticket for a performance two days later and she was in it.

As I have posted a few times now on this thread, she understudied in three of the shows she was in when I saw them. Moulin Rouge was the last straw and I decided to complain. Too bad because she really is a talent and others say how she is as reliable as anyone, but not in my experience. Luck of the draw.

And I have been to 499 performances over the years (a pandemic project to count the shows and money I have spent on NYC theater) and seen numerous understudied for leading actors but not with a percentage of Ms Olivo.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:17pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Re:American Utopia, is every audience memberon their feet the whole time live at the St. James like they are now for the ceremony? Might be possible since it's a concert, just wanta confirmation."

People are up and dancing but not the entire audience, at least when I’ve been there  

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#50674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:18pm

Any market that was carrying Miami-Las Vegas will see it in its entirety starting at 9:54 ET. That's true for CBS or Paramount+ since its live stuff is tied to the local CBS station.

Thank goodness the Tonys are usually in June or this would probably be a yearly problem.

Updated On: 9/26/21 at 09:18 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#50774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:18pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Angie Schworer and Rachelle Rak! LOVE."

LOVED IT!!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BCfitasafiddle
#50874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:23pm

Damn. Now I wanna go see Moulin Rouge.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#50974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:24pm

It's too bad Moulin Rouge! only goes downhill from that thrilling opening sequence.

Burstein left no crumbs. The set looks gorgeous. And the music still sounds great under McBride's trusted baton.

Oh look, a bibu!

iwuldwf
#51074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:25pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Jordan Levinson said: "Re:American Utopia, is every audience memberon their feet the whole time live at the St. James like they are now for the ceremony? Might be possible since it's a concert, just wanta confirmation."

People are up and dancing but not the entire audience, at least when I’ve been there

"

It also depends on the song. Basically everyone gets up for the biggest hits.

On a separate note, and I don’t remember if this was an unpopular opinion during the Bette/Dolly Tonys performance debacle, but I wish they would always let currently running nominated shows perform on their own stages. Moulin Rouge’s performance was so great, and if the point is to sell tickets, let them sell tickets! I hate the cheap sets (aka screens) they usually have for Tony performances.

Updated On: 9/26/21 at 09:25 PM

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#51174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:26pm

Was that Natalie? Didn’t look like her

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:26pm

That “Moulin Rouge” performance i just shows how they need to film numbers in their own theaters from now on.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#51374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:27pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Was that Natalie? Didn’t look like her"

Indeed it was, and she looks stunning!

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#51474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Legend's got a great voice, but I'd rather see the Broadway Company perform on their own. Oh well.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Tag said: "Read the LA Times article on Karen, and then after you throw up, you'll know why she is disliked."

I just read it.  Didn't throw up and I can't dislike her for her decisions and rationale.  I walked away from performing in Chicago theatte for very similar reasons and it has taken almost 20 years for the theatre community in Chicago to start owning up to the abusive practices that everyone let slide for FAR too long.  I can only imagine how much worse it is on Broadway where the stakes are higher are people are willing to put up with a lot more simply because it's "Broadway", especially if you're not a "star". 

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#51674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:29pm

Anyone else loving that these are taking place in Broadway houses?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#51774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:30pm

Jordan Catalano said: "That “Moulin Rouge” performance i just shows how they need to film numbers in their own theaters from now on."

Wasn't my favorite show but that taped performance would have made me buy a ticket. I was thinking the same thing. It looked great in its own theater and thought they should do this in the future.  Although there is still something exciting about seeing them live at the awards.

Just give the world Love.

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#51874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:32pm

Watching on CBS. So far it’s a string of pop rock golden oldies, like a PBS fundraiser. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#51974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:35pm

i thought that MR performance was meh- wanted to see more individual moments from cast, and hear tveit sing.

i dont understand this at all. im watching them give out a play revival award no one in america cares about but they hid all the performance awards? Kill the speeches, but give the awards live. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#52074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:35pm

Legend's got pipes. Beautiful voice. 

Also, gotta love Kenny Leon giving a heartfelt tribute to the black victims of police brutality (plus Kobe Bryant, who passed away the week his A Soldier's Play opened on Broadway).

Oh look, a bibu!

Jakeevan942
#52174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:36pm

I was at the Moulin Rouge taping on Tuesday night, and I will say that, from watching the angles they were able to get, you wouldn't be able to get a product like that live at Radio City. That also was an edit of 4 full runs of the number, and about a half dozen pick-up takes of different bits with the cameras on stage for close-ups, including the camera at the upstage edge to catch Danny's monologue.

I said from the first take that doing that performance in the theater, of the song that the world associates with the   title, would sell tickets, and I think it will. Let's see how the other two do.

Updated On: 9/26/21 at 09:36 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#52274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:37pm

Gorgeous, Kenny.

PipingHotPiccolo
#52374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:43pm

that BLM performance is going to make so many Americans change the channel. there HAS to be a better way to package and present that critical material. 

but pretty sure that was Danielle Lee Greaves, RENT extraordinaire, there singing those two lines of Ragtime. shes got a VOICE.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#52474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 9:43pm

Good performance, Watts et al!

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos