pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 22

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

MadsonMelo
#525Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 6:04am

I was wondering If the box Office may hurt Metcalf? If It doesnt, maybe Linney has a chance as her reviews were glorious. We still have the opening of Six Degrees, but Im not Beting on Janney.

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#526Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:30am

Do we know officially if Laura Linney will considered for leading actress and Cynthia Nixon will be featured?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#527Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:31am

Another Winter said: "Do we know officially if Laura Linney will considered for leading actress and Cynthia Nixon will be featured?"

Not officially, but on Opening Night Linney played Regina and Nixon played Birdie...so I think that is the assumption. Unless they petition both ladies leading. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#528Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:44am

Regardless of who played which role on opening night, I don't see how Nixon could be considered anything but leading. Presumably the nominating committee and voters won't only see her as Birdie, right?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#529Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:04am

I've seen Great Comet, Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen. I liked all three shows but it will be a travesty if DEH doesn't win the Tony for Best Musical. One of the most moving experiences I've ever had in a theater. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#530Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 2:54pm

poisonivy2 said: "I've seen Great Comet, Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen. I liked all three shows but it will be a travesty if DEH doesn't win the Tony for Best Musical. One of the most moving experiences I've ever had in a theater."

Agreed on all counts! I hate the negative backlash that DEH has been getting because of overzealous fans (though I totally get it because Hamilton now annoys me for the same reason)... I am in no way a "fangirl," but that was one of the best theatre experiences I've had in my life. I enjoyed the hell out of Come From Away too and would love to see it get recognized in some way (Director? Book?) but Evan Hansen was the superior show for me. 

I was wowed by the tech elements of Great Comet, but really didn't care for the material at all. That said, I had truly terrible seats and was grumpy through the whole show because I couldn't see the majority of it. Based on how much people on these boards love it, I am giving it another chance in a couple of weeks, this time from front row mezzanine. If I'm going to pooh-pooh a show, the least I can do is see it the way it way meant to be seen. (Props to the Comet superfans here for unknowingly convincing me to give it another chance.)

But I digress. Evan Hansen FTW. 100%.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#531Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:27pm

I'd be okay with Come From Away winning Best Original Score because even though I loved DEH's score and thought some songs like "Only Us" will become classics I think CFA's rousing score elevated the musical more, if that makes sense. The score of DEH simply worked together with the excellent book and cast, but I feel like CFA with a weaker score would not have worked at all. 

I would also be fine with Jenn Colella winning Best Supporting Actress. Actually I feel like Rachel Bay Jones, Jenn Colella, Kate Baldwin, Brittain Ashford, all gave lovely performances and are deserving.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#532Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:31pm

little_sally said: "Regardless of who played which role on opening night, I don't see how Nixon could be considered anything but leading. Presumably the nominating committee and voters won't only see her as Birdie, right?"

If they're going according to the roles the actresses played on opening night, they HAVE to see her as Birdie, because she isn't eligible for Leading Actress.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#533Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:39pm

I have heard the nominators are only considering Linney as lead and Nixon as featured, and are only being accommodated with tickets for those performances.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#534Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:44pm

Hoping Johanna Day pulls off a much deserved win for Sweat. She'll no doubt get a nomination, as she got one for the Drama League (as did co-star Michelle Wilson), but out of all the performances I've seen (Metcalf, Linney/Nixon, and the Indecent girls), I'd say Johanna is giving the best performance.

Is there any buzz for Amber Gray for Supporting Actress? If not, Rachel Bay Jones winning would be the only award I would agree that DEH deserves. Praying for a hail mary win for Andy Karl, as well as Come From Away (though I truly wish it would go to The Great Comet, as I believe it to be the superior production this season).

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#535Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:54pm

VotePeron said: "Hoping Johanna Day pulls off a much deserved win for Sweat. She'll no doubt get a nomination, as she got one for the Drama League (as did co-star Michelle Wilson), but out of all the performances I've seen (Metcalf, Linney/Nixon, and the Indecent girls), I'd say Johanna is giving the best performance.

Is there any buzz for Amber Gray for Supporting Actress? If not, Rachel Bay Jones winning would be the only award I would agree that DEH deserves. Praying for a hail mary win for Andy Karl, as well as Come From Away (though I truly wish it would go to The Great Comet, as I believe it to be the superior production this season).

"

Rachel is winning...Amber will be nominated. Her performance is NOTHING like Rachel's 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#536Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:56pm

ethan231h said: 

Rachel is winning...Amber will be nominated. Her performance is NOTHING like Rachel's 

"

Why are you being so aggressive 

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#537Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:11pm

VotePeron said: "ethan231h said: 

"

Why are you being so aggressive 

"

Amber's role in Comet is literally nothing compared to Rachel's role in DEH. Ultimately rachel is giving a much more emotional performance in a already emotional musical. How she does that every night boggles my mind.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#538Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:19pm

ethan, thread after thread, everybody on here knows you're the biggest DEH advocate. It's great, but just dial it down a notch. You can speak for the greatness of DEH without putting other shows or performers down.

little_sally
#539Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:21pm

VotePeron said: "Hoping Johanna Day pulls off a much deserved win for Sweat. She'll no doubt get a nomination, as she got one for the Drama League (as did co-star Michelle Wilson), but out of all the performances I've seen (Metcalf, Linney/Nixon, and the Indecent girls), I'd say Johanna is giving the best performance.

I don't know if Day is going to be considered featured or lead but I don't think she deserves to win over Metcalf, Linney/Nixon (however they're deemed), or Janney. To me, her role feels like a featured one, and I think she has a good shot winning there.

froote
#540Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:22pm

Amber's part isn't meant to be particularly emotional. Her performance fits the role just like Rachel's performance fits her role. The award isn't for 'most emotional performance'.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#541Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:28pm

The producers have been putting forward Day as a lead in other awards, so I assume they'll do the same here.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#542Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:32pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "ethan, thread after thread, everybody on here knows you're the biggest DEH advocate. It's great, but just dial it down a notch. You can speak for the greatness of DEH without putting other shows or performers down.

"

You don't need to tell me what to do but thanks!!!! 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#543Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:34pm

I think Rachel Bay Jones is wonderful in Dear Evan Hansen and deserves to win, but I feel like people are equating crying with a good performance. Just being emotional doesn't a good performance make- which fortunately isn't the case here, but still. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 4/20/17 at 04:34 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#544Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:49pm

Rachel deserves to win (especially after that snub for Pippin).  Amber is brilliant in The Great Comet and a Tony is certainly in her future, but I don't think that this is her year.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#545Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:50pm

It's not crying. I just felt like she exuded a naturalness as "mom" that was very real. Her body language was very much like an actual mom. This is harder to pull off than people think, IMO. There wasn't much stageyness in her portrayal of the mom. 

little_sally
#546Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:52pm

Kad said: "The producers have been putting forward Day as a lead in other awards, so I assume they'll do the same here.

I still don't think she has a real chance against Metcalf, Linney/Nixon, Janney, or even Blanchett.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#547Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:55pm

little_sally said: "Kad said: "The producers have been putting forward Day as a lead in other awards, so I assume they'll do the same here.

I still don't think she has a real chance against Metcalf, Linney/Nixon, Janney, or even Blanchett.
"

Neither do I. I feel this may be Metcalf's year.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#548Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:57pm

poisonivy2 said: "It's not crying. I just felt like she exuded a naturalness as "mom" that was very real. Her body language was very much like an actual mom. This is harder to pull off than people think, IMO. There wasn't much stageyness in her portrayal of the mom. "

Right, which is why I said a win for her would be well-deserved. But a performance being the most outwardly emotional doesn't mean it's the most worthy of recognition. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#549Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 5:11pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "poisonivy2 said: "It's not crying. I just felt like she exuded a naturalness as "mom" that was very real. Her body language was very much like an actual mom. This is harder to pull off than people think, IMO. There wasn't much stageyness in her portrayal of the mom. "

Right, which is why I said a win for her would be well-deserved. But a performance being the most outwardly emotional doesn't mean it's the most worthy of recognition. 
"

I agree with this. I like DEH, but it seems to be becoming a competition for which fan in the audience can cry the loudest. Also, the writing and performances are clearly calculated to produce tears during very specific moments. The show doesn't make me organically tear up like Next to Normal did every time I saw it. 

Videos