pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 24

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#575Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:46pm

Best Costumes, Lighting, Cherography, Featured Actor, and Featured Actress (Caroline), and hopefully Leading Actress for Anastasia

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 10:46 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#576Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:41am

Haven't seen Karl yet I admit but I can't imagine Platt losing. However, as far as Best Musical goes I do wonder if Come From Away will sneak in from behind. I don't think it is technically as good as DEH but the themes are just so timely, and there is so much goodwill. Audiences seem to be eating it up. If the Tony voters vote with their heart, they will go for Come From Away. 

I know that sounds weird given DEH seems like the little show that could that you vote for with your heart. Maybe in another season. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

brdway411
#577Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 1:10am

qolbinau said: "Haven't seen Karl yet I admit but I can't imagine Platt losing. However, as far as Best Musical goes I do wonder if Come From Away will sneak in from behind. I don't think it is technically as good as DEH but the themes are just so timely, and there is so much goodwill. Audiences seem to be eating it up. If the Tony voters vote with their heart, they will go for Come From Away. 

I know that sounds weird given DEH seems like the little show that could that you vote for with your heart. Maybe in another season. 
"

I just saw both GHD with Andy and DEH back to back. I have to say I think that Platt will take best actor, as for Show, I have yet to see Come from Away (aiming for next week), but if it comes down to GHD and DEH, my money is on DEH. I loved it. We enjoyed GHD but DEH stole my heart. 

Updated On: 4/21/17 at 01:10 AM

M.O.A.I. Profile Photo
M.O.A.I.
#578Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 2:16am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Parker better get a nomination. She delivered one of my favorite play performances ever. 

I'm guessing Janney, Linney, Metcalf, and Parker as "locks" with the fifth spot up for grabs (Blanchett, Field, or Ehle)...

"

My rationales in this category:

1. Metcalf - the frontrunner. It's her year.
2. Linney - a big star in a lauded revival doing stellar work in two roles. It may be a headache, but role switching screams range.
3. Ehle - Oslo is a strong contender for Best Play, and it'll surely sweep in its two stars on its coattails.
4. Blanchett - lukewarm reviews in a closed show, but Blanchett herself got great notices and she's second only to Streep as far as prestige glamor goes.
5. Janney - we'll have to wait and see how Brantley likes Six Degrees, but no matter what I think she'll get good reviews. And, most crucially, the show will still be running, unlike...
6. Parker - could very well sneak in, but the show may have been too "small" and too distant a memory.
7. Day - should go featured to be competitive.
8. Field - both she and the show received mixed notices, although I get the sense her performance itself is less divisive.
9. McTeer - pity, because she's a good actress, but not a chance.
10. Lane - even less of a chance.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#579Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 9:56am

M.O.A.I. I think your top five are spot on. I really hope it's Metcalf's year. Not because I love the play but she's always doing such great work and I think she's due.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#580Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 10:07am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Best Costumes, Lighting, Cherography, Featured Actor, and Featured Actress (Caroline), and hopefully Leading Actress for Anastasia"

Wow, um, that's... some mighty wishful thinking for Anastasia to pick up six Tony awards.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#581Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 10:50am

I mean, the idea that anything other than Comet is taking the technical awards is funny to me. I suppose Hello, Dolly could just because of the lush nature of the show, but I'm still not sure anything could compare.

I do not think she'll be nominated, but I would love to see Astrid van Wieren get a nomination for Come From Away. Yes, she doesn't get the number that Jenn Colella does, but I thought her performance beautifully grounded the whole ensemble. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#582Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:02am

Bette Miller has Best Actress, Musical. Done. Period. Reviews and smash hit. Onward. 

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#583Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:06am

Kad said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Best Costumes, Lighting, Cherography, Featured Actor, and Featured Actress (Caroline), and hopefully Leading Actress for Anastasia"

Wow, um, that's... some mighty wishful thinking for Anastasia to pick up six Tony awards.

"

Oh dear! NOMINATIONS, not winnings! Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. blushThe Tony for Leading Actress is 100% Middler's. 

BeukyBaby
#584Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:17am

Regarding nominations for Featured Actress in a Musical, I see Amber Gray and Brittain Ashford's names bandied about for Great Comet, but how about Grace McLean? She really blew me away the whole show, especially with her searing "In My House" number. Any buzz around her? She's astounding.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#585Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:21am

^Yeah the three supporting comet ladies are sensational.  I would love to see them all squeeze in, but it's a very busy category this year.  I suspect that Amber Gray will be the one with a nomination.

And yes Grace McLean is national treasure and everyone should listen to her song "Natural Disaster."

little_sally
#586Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:23am

Does anyone see anyone from Indecent getting a nomination? I think they're very strong collectively but it felt like such an ensemble piece.

wonderfulwizard11
#587Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:26am

Judging from the reviews, it doesn't seem unlikely that Richard Topol and/or Katrina Lenk slip in. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#588Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:27am

Ensemble-driven shows are tough, but I think Lenk has a decent chance of being the representative nominee.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

cb2addict2 Profile Photo
cb2addict2
#589Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:30am

Would be absolutely thrilled for Katrina Lenk if she got a nomination. Fingers crossed!

Jarethan
#590Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 11:33am

Dear Evan Hansen

Hello Dolly

Oslo

The Little Foxes

Bette Midler

Ben Platt

Laura Linney

Kevin Kline

Rachel Bay Jones

Gavin Creel

Cynthia Nixon

Richard Thomas

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#591Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:02pm

What are people thinking for Revival of a Play? Is the award itself basically between Jitney and Little Foxes?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#592Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:13pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "What are people thinking for Revival of a Play? Is the award itself basically between Jitney and Little Foxes?"

I think so, with Jitney probably taking the win. I haven't seen Little Foxes yet; though from reviews and b-rolls I think that production is more about the actresses, costumes, and the set. As a whole, Jitney was very well done.

Does The Play That Goes Wrong have a shot at the win? I think it will likely be nominated, but we have heavy hitters with Olso, Indecent, Sweat, and... Heisenberg (is this even a contender)?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#593Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:17pm

I think that The Play That Goes Wrong is likely going to be bested by the dramas this season. I think its best shot at a win (and it's a very possible win, IMO) is Scenic Design of a Play. I'm also hoping it'll pick up a Featured Actor nom or two!

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#594Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:18pm

It bums me out that overenthusiastic fans are ruining the appeal of DEH for a lot of people who haven't seen it. I totally, totally get it, as fandoms have absolutely soured me on shows in the past (Rent, N2N, and Hamilton, to name a few). But I do hope that it isn't enough to actually prevent someone from seeing the show. I saw it at Second Stage, loved it, and then went back on Broadway about a month ago, where I thought it was even better. It's obviously not something everyone will love, and it's ridiculous to get hostile towards anyone who didn't love it, but.... yeah. I really hope those overly vocal fans will shut up about it enough so that people like Mildred Plotka can go with an open mind and enjoy it (or not enjoy it) on its own merits. I'm definitely rooting for it for Best Musical (and Platt for Leading Actor), but that's simply because I enjoyed them the most. Maybe it was just the headspace I was in that night, but DEH (especially the second time) was one of my all-time favorite theatrical experiences. 

Re: Great Comet sweeping the technical awards... I do think it has a (deserved) lock on set & lighting, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dolly takes costumes. (Or War Paint, for that matter.) 

Still scratching my head about both Amber Grey and Brittain Ashford's performances and why they're considered exceptional, but different strokes for different folks.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#595Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:22pm

I'mHere79 said: "Wondering whether there is an outside chance for a couple additional supporting actor/actress nominations for Come From Away, and if so who in the ensemble could be named (after Jenn): Chad Kimball, Joel Hatch, Astrid Van Wieren?"

I've been thinking about this too, but scratching my head. The Featured Actor category seems a little more open, but I don't know which of the CFA men I'd single out - one of the best things about that show is that no one disproportionally stands out. Which is wonderful in context but lousy for awards, haha. On the women's side I could see Q Smith singled out (in addition to Colella), but that Featured Actress category is already really crowded, so who knows. 

Updated On: 4/21/17 at 12:22 PM

little_sally
#596Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:24pm

I keep going back and forth about whether or not The Play That Goes Wrong will be nomination. I don't think it deserves to get in over Significant Other or ADHP2. However, I definitely can't see Heisenberg being remembered over those three.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#597Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:27pm

I think The Play That Goes Wrong will easily be shut out by the high-quality dramas of the season.

I also think Heisenberg will be shut out simply because it will be forgotten. The play will have the last laugh, though, by virtue of the fact it is the most easily producible play I have seen in a long time. A two-hander with minimal sets with roles for a kooky lady and an older man?  It'll be licensed heavily.

Updated On: 4/21/17 at 12:27 PM

wonderfulwizard11
#598Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:30pm

Kad, I think you're right and I also think that's true of Significant Other. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#599Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:32pm

In terms of Best Featured Actor really enjoyed Rodney Hicks in Come From Away. I thought he added a lot of down to earth humor in a show that often veered dangerously close to sap. 

Videos