News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL- Page 25

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#600THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 6:03pm

Well I for one love these costumes, especially the Lion's. I wasn't sure at first when I read "dreads" but I gotta admit, I think it looks pretty terrific as do the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Shanice is adorable as Dorothy!

teddy1996
#601THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 7:30pm

Here are more photos THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

teddy1996
#602THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 7:37pm

teddy1996
#603THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 7:38pm

teddy1996
#604THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 7:39pm

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#605THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 8:07pm

Love them. Especially Scarecrow. 

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#606THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 8:51pm

The DVD is currently available for pre-order on Amazon. Will be released December 22.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiz-Live-Shanice-Williams/dp/B016KAMQTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444783786&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Wiz+Live%21

jimmycurry01
#607THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 9:06pm

I absolutely love these pictures. The only thing that I can nit pick over is the color of her shoes. I love that The Wiz keeps her shoes silver, and yet here they seem to have chosen red. That is just a trifle though. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#608THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 10:41pm

They look fantastic! The Lion looks perfect and I love Dorothy's modern look. It works great. The Scarecrow looks kind of creepy though, but still cool

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#609THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 11:52pm

So I know no one here will believe me - but I ran into Shanice a few weeks ago and was like "I'm so excited to hear songs from the original score!" And she was kind of weird and just was like, "Oh...yeah." And now I know why. I'm so profoundly disappointed that "Born On The Day Before Yesterday" isn't making it in this Broadcast. It's honestly one of my favorite songs in the score. Color me disappointed THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

Showface
#610THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 11:52pm

I love the costumes! I will admit.the scarecrow look is slightly creepy, but I think it's creepiness factor might have been accidentally enhanced by the photo editing of the photos.

" I love that The Wiz keeps her shoes silver, and yet here they seem to have chosen red. That is just a trifle though. "

She actually does wear sliver slippers in the group photo! The red shoes are probably from before she switched into the silver. THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

teddy1996
#611THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/13/15 at 11:57pm

Born on the day before yesterday is in it. There was a video of elijah practicing it with the crows dancers but the video got deleted. 

jimmycurry01
#612THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:47am

teddy1996 said: "Born on the day before yesterday is in it. There was a video of elijah practicing it with the crows dancers but the video got deleted. 

"

So is he now singing both songs? We have confirmation that the song from the movie is definitely in this version too. 

Or maybe they tried "born the day before yesterday" and decided to scrap it. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#613THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:50am

Perhaps the movie song is being used in another place?? I'm not familiar with the movie song so I don't know how transferrable the lyrics would be to another moment in the Broadcast.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

jimmycurry01
#614THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 1:08am

Maybe, it was originally sang by the winkies before it was cut from the original broadway production, but the article published yesterday said that Elijah Kelley was singing the song, so I am still inclined to believe that something has changed. Perhaps Kelley preferred You Can't Win and the producers caved to his wish, perhaps the rights to You Can't Win were tied up so they were rehearsing Born the Day Before Yesterday. It is all speculation for now. What we do know is that You Can't Win is confirmed to be in this production, and the only source that points to Born the Day Before Yesterday is in has been removed from the internet.

With a revised book, it is possible that they managed to find somewhere else to stick it. But I'm feeling skeptical for now. 

broadwayguy2
#615THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 2:04am

Re: the red shoes.

The ruby slippers are owned by MGM and can not be used without paying them a LOT of money. The Wiz uses, and will use here, the ruby slippers. I find the red sneaker choice interesting because we all know the ruby slippers and most do not know the silver slippers. This is clearly her look at the top of the show, where we will meet her in red sneakers, as a clear not to MGM, but then she will get the silver shoes, per the artwork, in Oz.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#616THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 4:56am

broadwayguy2 said: "Re: the red shoes.

"The ruby slippers are owned by MGM and can not be used without paying them a LOT of money. The Wiz uses, and will use here, the ruby slippers. "

Color me confused, so then what's the problem? I guess the producers shelled out the money necessary to MGM then, right?

c0113g3b0y
#617THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 5:20am

I think broadwayguy2 meant that Dorothy would wear red colored shoes (sneakers) for a portion of the production as a nod / reference to the MGM movie before switching to actual silver colored slippers.

You need to pay MGM to use the words 'ruby slippers' or use the actual ruby colored slippers. In Wicked the words ruby  slippers are not used in the script either (Nessarose's shoes - they are silver in color and when Elphaba enchants them a red spotlight shines on the shoes turning them red THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL )

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)
Updated On: 10/14/15 at 05:20 AM

jimmycurry01
#618THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:59am

Not to get incredibly technical, but now you would have to pay Warner to use the ruby slippers. MGM has not owned any rights to The Wizard of Oz for many years now. Warner now holds all rights and does all licensing for the film. 

c0113g3b0y
#619THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 10:07am

jimmycurry01 said: "Not to get incredibly technical, but now you would have to pay Warner to use the ruby slippers. MGM has not owned any rights to The Wizard of Oz for many years now. Warner now holds all rights and does all licensing for the film. 

"

I didn't know that Warner owns the rights now. thanks for the info!

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#620THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:47am

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but The Wiz is a terrible musical. It has some good songs, but the concept and the book are horrible. I don't see why people are talking about this months ahead. These costumes are ok but they aren't going to save a terrible show.  I saw the original and it was awful. I saw the movie and it was awful. What makes anyone think that this dated, weird take on The Wizard of Oz is going to work on TV? 

And all this hype is just insane.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#621THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:17pm

Well, CurtainsUpat8 - I saw The Wiz in LA back in the day with Ren Woods as Dorothy - and it remains one of my best experiences ever at a musical.  I was dazzled the whole time.  I have seen some more recent youth productions and while some of Addaperle's dialog is a bit dated at this point - I think the show remains charming.  As for weird take - The Wiiz is much more faithful to the book than the MGM movie version of The Wizard of Oz.  I guess I don't know what you mean by "weird".  It is a pretty straightforward presentation of the original story.  NBC will be sorry that you won't be tuning in - and while I don't think this will do Sound of Music numbers, I do think it will do much better than Peter Pan numbers.

Also, people tuning in will not be expecting Judy Garland so there should be less of the confusion that there was with The Sound of Music.  

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#622THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:50pm

Harvey Fierstein is supposedly reworking the book. Some of the dated dialogue might be removed. The movie did suck. I have been assured by people on the project "We ARE NOT doing the movie!".

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#623THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:53pm

"As for weird take - The Wiiz is much more faithful to the book than the MGM movie version of The Wizard of Oz. "

I was obsessed with the books as a kid.  But how is this true?  Aside from the colour of shoes?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#624THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 10/14/15 at 1:03pm

Well, for one, The Wiz uses all four witches like the book does.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Videos