pixeltracker

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy- Page 25

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

binau Profile Photo
binau
#600Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 12:38am

I think the other slightly frustrating thing about the word ‘gimmick’ here is that people are taking the few light moments - which generally feel earned at best or benign at worst - and pretending that the entire production is based on these gimmicks. It isn’t. And it feels a little like taking 10 seconds of Sutton’s ‘worst pies’ and pretending she couldn’t sing the role. All I’ll say is, watch the production with an open mind and judge for yourself. 

The production is thrilling, funny, shocking, moving, musically brilliant. It’s visually highly stunning - like an abstract piece of modern art. 

In comparison, the 2017 revival was cheesy, boring, poorly sung and downright cringeworthy at points. I think the fact that ‘Lady’s paying’ has been cut should tell you that Jamie Lloyd has higher standards for the show than the writers would have asked in the past. I don’t know how people can be defending this material with a straight face. The only thing that worked for me was Glenn Close’s performance but unfortunately she just doesn’t have the vocals to make her songs thrilling the same way many others in the role did/do. 

Never in a million years would I ever think that people would be so precious to treat this show as if it was FOLLIES or SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. My god, we want to die on a hill about the ‘lyrics’ the ‘lyrics’. Am I the only one that recognises the lyrics are for the most part not good and not part of the show’s strengths? 

I’ll leave you with this quote from Patti LuPone herself. For the first time with this production, I actually can’t say I agree with her anymore. 

“On closing night, I entered through the lobby of the Adelphi Theatre, which was a new experience for me. As soon as I walked in, the first three people I saw were Trevor Nunn, Christopher Hampton, and Anthony Powell. I walked right up to them—I think I actually punched Anthony Powell in the arm, not the person I should have punched hello. I was very nervous, as you can imagine. They turned around and looked at me as though they had seen a ghost. Trevor turned white.

“I took my seat with Matt in the orchestra and started watching Sunset Boulevard. It was boring and slow. The black, white, and gray set didn’t help the production, in my opinion. At the intermission I saw David Caddick, and I actually said to him, “David, were we this boring?” He said no. Clearly the show had gone downhill in the two or three years it had been running, as shows can do. That’s not unusual.

I went to the closing night party for a while. When I talked with Trevor, he said the show didn’t deserve to close. I just looked at him and said, “But, Trevor, it was so boring.” He gave me a stupefied look. Well, it was, Trevor. I walked away knowing that whatever was wrong with the show wasn’t entirely my problem. I may not have been the ideal Norma for a lot of people, but Sunset Boulevard was a deeply flawed musical—with me or without me.”

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 2/28/24 at 12:38 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#601Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 12:39am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Penna2
#602Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 1:30am

binau said: 
The production is thrilling, funny, shocking, moving, musically brilliant. It’s visually highly stunning - like an abstract piece of modern art.

Completely agree. Have a very good, full-length boot and was blown away. Never saw any other version of the show. Nicole was amazing - her voice is simply wonderful and so expressive.

I’ll leave you with this quote from Patti LuPone herself. For the first time with this production, I actually can’t say I agree with her anymore.

“But, Trevor, it was so boring.” He gave me a stupefied look. Well, it was, Trevor. I walked away knowing that whatever was wrong with the show wasn’t entirely my problem. I may not have been the ideal Norma for a lot of people, but Sunset Boulevard was a deeply flawed musical—with me or without me.”"

I cannot recall seeing an article anywhere where Patti Lupone has been complimentary of anyone who has re-created a role in a show she's done or a sung a song she sang. After Susan Boyle performed I Dreamed a Dream on Britain's Got Talent, she couldn't say how amazing and inspirational Boyle was, just talked about her own interpretation. Big talent, big mouth, small human being.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#603Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 2:18am

It seems like Patti is a fan of Sutton Foster.  She saw her in Anything Goes and just recently saw her in Sweeney.  Two Patti roles, although of course not actually originated by her. 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#604Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 5:24am

binau said: "The production is musically brilliant.”"

I agree that the writing is wonderful, but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You also said before that your mind wandered off during the show. 

I also think that the musical direction in this version was very poor. 

You defend the gimmicks by saying the material is total trash so they are a relief. You don't seem to care about deliberately taking audiences out of the show. You complain about the lyrics and your idea is that audiences should not listen to them? Wouldn't it be more thrilling to you to have other lyrics or writing then? 

I think it's a shame that the director wants Nicole to break character so often. I have more trust in her. I agree that Glenn Close was afwul and Patti Lupone is a small person.

Updated On: 2/29/24 at 05:24 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#605Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 7:03am

I think I should be clearer in my terms/definitions - when I say 'musically brilliant' I'm very much referring to the performances, and when I say performances I'm specifically referring to Nicole S and David Thaxton. And when I say 'performances' I'm referring to the combination of musical timbre, dynamics, acting choices etc. which I think might encompass some of what I assume you mean when you say musical direction. I'm not referring to the writing*. 

For me, these two performances are beyond Tony worthy and I don't feel I'm saying this naively - I saw the show about 4 times, 3 times with Nicole, once with Rachel Tucker - I've studied recordings of the show over and over again. And of course I've seen A LOT of Broadway theatre, including all of the greats live (i.e. Bernadette, Patti, Donna, Elaine, Lansbury, Audra, Betty, Marin, Sutton etc.). I'm not just some TikTok fangirl (in fact, I don't even use TikTok, and I don't really know who Nicole S is actually outside of this show lol), nor would I say I'm easily pleased.

So it's hard for me to recognise what your experience is with this production if you don't see it as it's just not my experience at all - I'm hoping when the cast recording comes out it will become clearer. I fully expected the show to go to Broadway after seeing Nicole a couple of times because I just found her absolutely jaw dropping. For me, it's not just poor or average or even good - it's among the best I've ever seen. And it's actually a subtly new sound too. After so many years sick and tired of cookie cutter pop vocals it's refreshing to hear someone bring something actually new in terms of sound. The best analogy I can think of is it's like listening to someone as virtuosic as Whitney Houston take on the role. 

As for taking audiences out of the show, well again this is where I'd say your experience of the show does not reflect mine or what I think the Director's intentions are. And if we go specifically into let's call it 'gimmick by gimmick' I think it's clearer that most are not intended to take people out of the show at all. For example if we begin to list a few I remember:

* Nicole looking out at the audience when Joe says they're not all here to see her - I don't think this is intended to take people out of the show. She is being filmed and is on screen - it is meta because it's literally true of the audience AND it's absolutely true that of course Norma (and specifically Nicole's Norma) would have the kind of attitude that Nicole displayed here. It's in service of the character and show.

* Nicole twirking - again given the context of the scene where she is acting out Salome in the most ridiculous/hilarious way it does feel like Nicole's Norma would have actually thought this was good and done this. It's in service of the character and show. 

------Now I understand you would take issue with the above because it doesn't feel silent film star and is outside the period but again this is where I'm saying that the only way this production works is if you can kind of suspend disbelief and understand that we are in an abstract world that reflects what a faded silent film star movie star would look and feel like if we applied 21st century sensibilities of celebrity and faded celebrity onto it (along with the subtext of Nicole's actual career from what I understand of it - as mentioned I don't know much about her besides this show though of course I have researched a little now). I promise you this is not meant to take you out of the show - if you can find a way to suspend disbelief it all feels very logically consistent and justified in the context of this kind of world. 

* Act two title number - I agree that this very much does take people out of the show and is the one place that it feels gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky at points. However, this is where I'd say it's benign. Also, the audience eats it up. AND the traditional structure of two act musicals usually have a lighter number opening Act two so nothing feels particularly odd or out of place to me. 

* "As if we never said goodbye" clapping - this is a weird one I didn't remember Nicole doing this much earlier in the run but definitely noticed it at the end. But again, like the twirking, the attitude to the audience (also all the other line readings such as 'don't have to worry about money honey', 'now go' etc.) it's all kind of consist with the character. I absolutely believe that Nicole's Norma would be trying to get as much attention and praise as possible like this - and the crazy thing about the song is BECAUSE Nicole IS so amazing we do give it to her. Nicole knows what she is doing is special, Norma knows what she is doing is special, the audience knows what she is doing is special. It's a wild moment and I think it should go down in theatre history.

While ultimately I think the X factor (no pun intended) of Nicole's performance is her vocals - I also am still haunted by some of her line readings. The lines with Mr DeMille before 'As if we never said goodbye' were in particular quite chilling, sad and pathetic. "last time I saw you you were some place terribly gay..we were dancing on at table". I really hear the subtext of her trying to charm her way but the line has this kind of nostalgic, heartbroken quality to it that it might have been the last time she was actually happy lol and the whole scene sets up the song so well.  

God, I might just need to see this in NYC again. 

* I'm not referring to the writing which I kind of feel it's in the same vein as Carrie for me - the Norma ('Margaret White'Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy songs, especially the big ones, I do love. But the secondary/ensemble ('High school'Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy songs I do find difficult to enjoy - I find it to be filler and banal. So yes my mind still wandered occasionally because there is only so much a Director can make this work (and I think the ensemble facial expressions, dancing, lighting and lack of colour DID at least make it work for me) - whereas my previous reaction to the material was far worse (cringing or very bored). 

Updated On: 2/28/24 at 07:03 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#606Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 8:35am

binau said: "Never in a million years would I ever think that people would be so precious to treat this show as if it was FOLLIES or SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. My god, we want to die on a hill about the ‘lyrics’ the ‘lyrics’. Am I the only one that recognises the lyrics are for the most part not good and not part of the show’s strengths?"

You may be the only one who (repeatedly) insists that your appraisal is the only valid appraisal.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 2/28/24 at 08:35 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#607Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 8:37am

Penna2 said: "I cannot recall seeing an article anywhere where Patti Lupone has been complimentary of anyone who has re-created a role in a show she's done or a sung a song she sang. After Susan Boyle performed I Dreamed a Dream on Britain's Got Talent, she couldn't say how amazing and inspirational Boyle was, just talked about her own interpretation. Big talent, big mouth, small human being."

100%

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#608Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/28/24 at 8:23pm

binau said: "* Nicole lookingout at the audience when Joe says they're not all here to see her - of course Norma (and specifically Nicole's Norma) would have the kind of attitude that Nicole displayed here. It's in service of the character and show.

* Nicole twirking - again given the context of the scene where she is acting out Salome in the most ridiculous/hilarious way it does feel like Nicole's Norma would have actually thought this was good and done this. It's in service of the character and show.

* Act two title number - I agree that this very much does take people out of the show and is the one place that it feels gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky at points. 

* "As if we never said goodbye" clapping - this is a weird one I didn't remember Nicole doing this much earlier in the run but definitely noticed it at the end. But again, like the twirking, the attitude to the audience (also all the other line readings such as 'don't have to worry about money honey', 'now go' etc.) it's all kind of consist with the character. "

I think all these things are a desperate attempt to make herself seem cool, b*tchy, popular, sexy and young to the audience. As a performer. Not as Norma the character. And some audience members seem to fall for it. Twerking has nothing to do with Salome. It is truly putting ego above the role. Which is a shame in my opinion. 

It made me see just Nicole, but that seemed to be what some audience members wanted.

About the bad musical direction, I meant the wrong choices in dynamics, tempo, musical choices, etc. Which made her lose pace in every line. For example in the song AIWNSG I felt like she was dragging and then the cool Nicole clap and kick came and from there she was ahead of the music. One big mess. I have heard versions with so much more dynamics, finesse, emotion, tempo and better vocals. The first half of the song should be thrilling and a wonderful interplay between vocal and instruments which was not at all the case here.

Updated On: 2/28/24 at 08:23 PM

Phillyguy
#609Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/29/24 at 10:02am

Seb28, I feel like we saw a completely different show. I thought the overall direction and acting were brilliant and i can’t wait to see it again on Broadway. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#610Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/29/24 at 10:41am

This endles discourse has gone on way longer than it needs to.  I will close by saying any show that leads to such passionate opinions  - either positive or negative - is doing exactly what great art should. Obviously, this is essential theatre to see when it opens on Broadway. Get your tickets.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#611Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/29/24 at 4:47pm

Whatever this is, it is not great art. As described above in detail. It is essential that people know this so they can decide if they want to spend the money or not. I felt robbed.

The biggest takeaway from this might be bigger than this particular production. How much will popcorn culture ruin theatre forever? What will be left when every production has had their turn?

Updated On: 2/29/24 at 04:47 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#612Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/29/24 at 5:14pm

“Essential” is doing some heavy lifting here.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#613Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 2/29/24 at 5:15pm

Seb28 said: "Whatever this is, it is not great art. As described above in detail. It is essential that people know this so they can decide if they want to spend the money or not. I felt robbed.

The biggest takeaway from this might be bigger than this particular production. How much will popcorn culture ruin theatre forever? What will be left when every production has had their turn?

"

people on Broadway message boards clutching their pearls?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

BETTY22
#614Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/2/24 at 4:06pm

It starts on Monday. Creative team is in New York for auditions.........

This is very exciting......I saw it in London and it's brilliant. 

Broadway Flash
#615Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/2/24 at 5:02pm

Auditions for who? They already have all the principles coming over.  The creative team doesn’t need to be there for the chorus.  The Effect starts performances tomorrow.  Do you know when Tammy Faye is starting performances?  

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#616Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/2/24 at 5:50pm

Broadway Flash said: "Auditions for who? "

Probably the ensemble and understudies/standbys.

BorisTomashevsky
#617Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/2/24 at 7:27pm

Alan Williams and Fabian Aloise are listed as attending the vocal and dance auditions (respectively) this coming week, so part of the creative team will be there. 

getatme
#618Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 12:51am

Broadway Flash said: "Auditions for who? They already have all the principles coming over. The creative team doesn’t need to be there for the chorus. The Effect starts performances tomorrow. Do you know when Tammy Faye is starting performances? "

The Norma alternate, Norma standby, and all ensemble and covers. Not sure where you’re getting that “the creative team doesn’t need to be there for the chorus” I’m not sure  I can assure you when it comes to the original cast, the creative team is present for all final callbacks for ensemble calls, and if they’re not physically present, they get final approval.

Broadway Flash
#619Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 3:04am

Most of the time they get their friends in the show. Broadway is rigged. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#620Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 9:38am

Broadway Flash said: "Most of the time they get their friends in the show. Broadway is rigged."

What are you TALKING ABOUT?

BETTY22
#621Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 4:45pm

Broadway Flash said: "Most of the time they get their friends in the show. Broadway is rigged."

I don't understand what this means? 

Broadway Flash
#622Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 5:12pm

There’s an old feeling that there’s no point in auditioning cause they already know who’s gonna be in the show.  I’m not saying it’s pointless, but directors and choreographers like to use the same people over and over again (their friends). 

jimmycurry01
#623Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 5:47pm

Seb28 said: "Whatever this is, it is not great art. As described above in detail. It is essential that people know this so they can decide if they want to spend the money or not. I felt robbed.

"

I am curious, at what point in the London run did you see this production? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#624Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 3/3/24 at 6:20pm

Nobody in this thread knows what anybody means, so you’re in good company. 

We have the elders thinking Sunset Boulevard is sacred text when it’s always been a very mediocre musical. We have the “what theatre is this going in” crowd. We have the smooth brain crowd. The more the merrier! 

Videos