pixeltracker

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22 - Page 26

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#625COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:15pm

Kad said: "The point is the character is at an age where she should be settled down and isn’t. Lenk is only in her early 40s. Harping on her age is silly."

I completely agree, I have seen several actors playing Bobby that were either younger or older than 35. Nobody cares. Well, except a few grub worms but that doesn't matter. This will sell very well because Patti LuPone happens to be in it and the gender swapping is a brilliant, fresh take.

Can't wait!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#626COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:25pm

Pose2 said: "This will sell very well because Patti LuPone happens to be in it..."

I agree with you, but apparently Stephen Sondheim gave a radio interview where he questioned Patti LuPone's box office draw. I guess we'll see.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#627COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:27pm

ljay889 said: "How exciting we will inevitably get another cast recording of this production! Do we think they will be lowering some keys for Lenk’s much sultrier voice?"

I hope they do play around with some of them. I thought Craig sounded great, but there were some jarring moments in group numbers that really took me out of it. That “really ABOUTTTTTT” in the opening isn’t great. Maybe Lenk could just do it down the octave. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

zainmax
#628COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:41pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Pose2 said: "This will sell very well because Patti LuPone happens to be in it..."

I agree with you, but apparently Stephen Sondheim gave a radio interview where he questioned Patti LuPone'sbox office draw. I guess we'll see.
"

Link?

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#629COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:46pm

zainmax said: "CATSNYrevival said: "Pose2 said: "This will sell very well because Patti LuPone happens to be in it..."

I agree with you, but apparently Stephen Sondheim gave a radio interview where he questioned Patti LuPone'sbox office draw. I guess we'll see.
"

Link?
"

think it's in this Graham Norton podcast that LuPone and Sondheim did together, but I'm not 100% sure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06ndrj0

Yes, this is in fact the interview. Sondheim's comments on this start around the 31:00 mark.

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 02:46 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#630COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:47pm

He was basically saying there aren’t broadway stars anymore who really sell tickets. Patti pushed back in the joint interview, but he wasn’t explicitly referring to her or her presence in this production. 

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 02:47 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#631COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:15pm

People today really don’t like facts being pointed out but 4 out of the last 5 broadway shows Patti did all closed early due to low sales.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#632COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:20pm

Jordan Catalano said: "People today really don’t like facts being pointed out but 4 out of the last 5 broadway shows Patti did all closed early due to low sales. "

What??!! Fake news you crazy leftist!!! 

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#633COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:20pm

Can we just please get a revival of COMPANY with a full orchestra instead of a tiny desk concert-level ensemble?

Regardless, super excited for this.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#634COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:23pm

ljay889 said: "He was basically saying there aren’t broadway stars anymore who really sell tickets. Patti pushed back in the joint interview, but he wasn’t explicitly referring to her or her presence in thisproduction."

If I'm hearing it correctly he told Patti point blank "I don't think the general public knows your name. It's people interested in the theatre and maybe even movies and TV, but the general public knows only, essentially, TV stars."

To me he was saying Patti is a Broadway star who will only sell tickets to people like us who follow theatre, and the general public isn't buying a ticket to Company to see Patti LuPone.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#635COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:23pm

The orchestra is not tiny in this. The new orchestrations are sumptuous and far better than any Tunick’s reductions. Nothing will top Tunick’s originals, but his reductions are disappointing. Cullen did a great job rejuvenating the sounds of the score.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#636COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:27pm

ljay889 said: "The orchestra is not tiny in this. The new orchestrations are sumptuous and far better than any Tunick’s reductions. Nothing will top Tunick’s originals, but his reductions are disappointing. Cullen did a great job rejuvenating the sounds of the score. "

And hopefully they retain Cullen’s orchestrations from London. But perhaps worth mentioning that (like all things) it costs a lot less to employ musicians in the West End than on Broadway. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up doing some further reduction. But hopefully not...

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#637COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:28pm

i for one, and i know nobody here cares what i think about Katrina playing Bobbie..will wait and read about this new revival production when it plays a few performances before i commit to spend any monies to come see it on Broadway...on the other hand if all the main players from the West End had been brought over, i would have already purchased my flight and hotel stays!...just saying...

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 03:28 PM

Jordan Catalano
#638COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:36pm

I thought the orchestra sounded great in London.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#639COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:45pm

CATSNYrevival said: "ljay889 said: "He was basically saying there aren’t broadway stars anymore who really sell tickets. Patti pushed back in the joint interview, but he wasn’t explicitly referring to her or her presence in thisproduction."

If I'm hearing it correctly he told Patti point blank "I don't think the general public knows your name. It's people interested in the theatre and maybe even movies and TV, butthe general public knows only, essentially,TV stars."

To me he was sayingPatti isa Broadway star who will only sell tickets to people like us who follow theatre, andthe general public isn't buying a ticket to Company to see Patti LuPone.
"

Sorry, Cats. You are correct. Just relistened and that is what he said. I didn’t take it specifically In regards to  Company though. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#640COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:49pm

QueenAlice said: "ljay889 said: "The orchestra is not tiny in this. The new orchestrations are sumptuous and far better than any Tunick’s reductions. Nothing will top Tunick’s originals, but his reductions are disappointing. Cullen did a great job rejuvenating the sounds of the score. "

And hopefully they retain Cullen’s orchestrations from London. But perhaps worth mentioning that (like all things) it costs a lot less to employ musicians in the West End than on Broadway. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up doing some further reduction. But hopefully not...
"

Cullen is listed in some of the press releases. So that is great. 

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#641COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:55pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I thought the orchestra sounded great in London."

I'm listening to the London recording and the orchestra sounds so...tinny?  Small? lacking energy?  Can't put my finger on it.  Maybe it's just how it was recorded.  I'm so used to the BOOM, brass and thrusting percussion of the original.  I'll wait to hear it in person to fully judge.  

I figured we weren't going to be getting a huge ensemble, though, since it's going into a somewhat smaller theatre.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Jordan Catalano
#642COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:59pm

Yeah the cast recording does sound different than I remember it in the actual theatre.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#643COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:11pm

The recording needs to be louder. That’s my biggest gripe with it, aside from the wonky accents. The orchestrations are still fab, and the exit music is perfection. I think broadway will produce a much more lively recording.

Theatrefanboy1
#644COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:23pm

I guess with the all American casTing comment that would mean a no for Richard fleeshman. I wonder who will take his role over. Matt Doyle? Kyle dean Massey? Jonathan Groff? Taylor Frey? 

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 04:23 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#645COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:46pm

Matt Doyle is playing Jamie.
I did think of Kyle Dean Massey for Andy, as well.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#646COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:50pm

My favorite number in the London cast recording is surprisingly "Someone Is Waiting" - I don't even like that song normally, but Craig's voice is simply breathtaking in that one song and so are the orchestrations. Her take on that particular song is also a lot more palatable to me than when a male Bobby sings it (probably some double standard here but whatever, I am a product of the society I grew up in). Everything else I would personally love to hear from the American cast. Even "Ladies Who Lunch" doesn't pack the punch which I wanted.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#647COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:57pm

ljay889 said: "Matt Doyle is playing Jamie."

I don't think there has been anything official over Doyle so far, but his name has been floating in this thread at least since Leak was mentioned, so I would not be surprised. Probably going to have to wait for February to get the full cast list if we go at the rate these announcements have going ha.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#648COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:57pm

ljay889 said: "Matt Doyle is playing Jamie."

I don't think there has been anything official over Doyle so far, but his name has been floating in this thread at least since Leak was mentioned, so I would not be surprised. Probably going to have to wait for February to get the full cast list if we go at the rate these announcements have going ha.

luisacontini
#649COMPANY
Posted: 8/30/19 at 5:54pm

If my sources are right (and they were right about Lenk/Doyle), Christopher Sieber is Harry, and Greg Hildreth is Larry. Heard that a black actor has the offer for Larry, but I wasn't given a name.

Videos