pixeltracker

TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences & More- Page 3

TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences & More

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#50TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:39pm

"Since the Best Leading Actress in a Play race will likely boil down to Davis vs. Lavin, I would pick Lavin. Her performance is out of this world."

Isn't Linney a real threat, if not favorite, to win?

Wayman_Wong
#51TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:39pm

' 'Memphis' may now become a Tony-winning score.'

I know. A thrilling thought to those of us who love the show. :)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#52TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:40pm

Davis had the Tony in the bag in the Featured Actress category. She certainly still has a chance, but it's not the lock it would have been in Featured.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#53TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:43pm

I hope Davis wins Lead and Maxwell wins Featured. Doubtful, but still...

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#54TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:43pm

In response to the earlier question, the most nominations in a single year is 4, held by Stew for Passing Strange (Book, Score, Actor, Orchestrations) and Elisabeth Swados for Runaways (Book, Score, Direction, Choreography).

I think Memphis just won a Tony. I don't think Best Score is going to a non-musical, and Memphis will get more votes than Addams Family.

I think, with Barbara Cook moving, Memphis also got a guaranteed Best Actress nomination in Montego Glover.

These two rulings increase the likelihood that Memphis will get more Tony nominations than any other new musical (and possibly any musical at all). The Memphis producers must be very happy today.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#55TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:44pm

Theatre Guy
I am with you onn that, more than it may appear... I am going by the comments about Linda, Jan Maxwell and that she was more of a shoe in for featured. I really didn't doubt she very well may have been put in the lead category. i asked why in the other nomination thread, but i thought it was more of a lead nomination, forgetting about the billing.

I do think she is a viable candidate and deserves it...she is my pick. :)

"it's a dirty little war"

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#56TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:44pm

StageManager2, I have seen Lansbury's performance twice so far and Finneran's performance twice as well. Based on my live viewings of both of their performances, I think Angela is giving a better performance.

How many times have you seen both of their performances live??

Edit: I would vote for Angela first, Barbara Cook second and Katie third (if I had the choice).
Updated On: 4/30/10 at 01:44 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#57TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:48pm

I am VERY happy about American Idiot. MEMPHIS may very well win now.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#58TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:49pm

I am sure many people who have seen both live twice also have another opinion. also, once is sufficient to base an opinion on.

i think you are probably right, but that doesn't mean someone else is wrong

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#59TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:50pm

The other thing that will make Memphis producers happy is that Cook will probably push Rebecca Naomi Jones out of contention, and that combined with the Best Score ineligibility for American Idiot means that the chances that Memphis will have more total nominations than American Idiot have increased.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

sundayclothes2
#60TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:53pm

I actually think Cook will push Lillias White out over Rabecca Naomi Jones.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#61TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:55pm

Memphis - Tony winning score.

God, it's such a boring and pedestrian affair. My cat writes better songs on the piano and he doesn't even know what he's doing.

How embarrassing would it be to lose Best Score to incidental music though. I would literally LOL.

....but the world goes 'round

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#62TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:00pm

"Isn't Linney a real threat, if not favorite..."

oh yes, i forgot to add her into the mix too.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#63TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:03pm

American Idiot is not Eligible for Best Score!

Woo-Hoo! Happy Happy Joy Joy! Best Sunny Sunshine Day Ever!! How can it get any better that this! What a beautiful life! All is fair and just, and right with the world!

AI was the absolute WORST musical I've seen since I've been living in New York!

The best score of this season was Scottsborogh Boys

PS: I love Spring Awakening, and I'm rocking out to Rent right now in Celebration! But AI was truly a trashy, abonoxious, hollow piece of a soul-sucking, torturuous, abomination!!!! imo.

Take THAT Green-Day fans! Today is my day! And you will have Tony Night. So let me have this one!

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#64TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:03pm

Lillias White was never in to begin with.

Also, I meant what is the record number of nominations for work on multiple shows?

sundayclothes2
#65TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:04pm

^Then who was?
I am assuming it will be:
Cook, Lansbury, T. White, Finneran, Jones
Updated On: 4/30/10 at 02:04 PM

ColorTheHours048
#66TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:08pm

Isn't Linney a real threat, if not favorite, to win?

Linney certainly hasn't been forgotten and won't be snubbed a nomination like Kristin Scott Thomas was last season, nor will the Tony committee overlook her by any means. But Lavin and Davis's performances are fresh in their minds. All three received love letters and all three are worthy, but the committee is lazy.
Updated On: 4/30/10 at 02:08 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#67TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:10pm

Terri White, Rebecca, Erin Davie, Christine Andreas, Ramona Mallory, Cass Morgan, Karine Plandant (sp?) to name a few.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#68TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:12pm

While I love Rebecca Naomi Jones, she's playing a completely one dimensional character who gets nothing to do in AMERICAN IDIOT besides flounce around and alternate between sexy, aloof, and angry.

Lillias White's stage time is certainly limited in in FELA!, but she knocks her big number in the second act out of the stratosphere. She manages to make her looming presence felt the entire show, even when she's not on stage.

She's much more deserving of that fifth spot in Featured Actress.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/30/10 at 02:12 PM

bwayguy22089
#69TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:30pm

Can someone explain something to me... ?

I haven't seen Enron, but isn't it a play? I'm confused with it being eligible for best score. Thanks!

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#70TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:31pm

"American Idiot is not Eligible for Best Score!

Woo-Hoo! Happy Happy Joy Joy! Best Sunny Sunshine Day Ever!! How can it get any better that this! What a beautiful life! All is fair and just, and right with the world!

AI was the absolute WORST musical I've seen since I've been living in New York! "

(a) You're a moron. (b) You must not see many musicals.

Personally, I thought "American Idiot" had the best music of any show this season, but it SHOULDN'T have been eligible for best score. It's all music from a years-old Grammy-winning album, that wouldn't be fair. Should "Jersey Boys" have been eligible for Best Score too?

And ColortheHours, I agree with you about the committee's laziness, proven many times in the past (e.g.: the aforementioned KST snub), but this production wasn't many moons ago, it just closed a few weeks ago, and I've heard more than a few vague rumblings (from people who actually vote in some of these things) that "Time Stands Still" could feasibly be a threat to WIN Best Play, so I wouldn't 100% rule out Linney just yet.

ColorTheHours048
#71TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:40pm

I agree, Miracle. The show is far from forgotten since, like you said, it only just closed recently. And I'm not completely counting her out. I would personally vote for Lavin, but Linney, Lavin, and Davis are ALL threats and are ALL deserving.

I wouldn't be upset if any of them won.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#72TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 2:47pm

Miracle Elixer
Does someone's opinion of AI really make them
a) a moron
b) someone who has not see or know musical theatre?

i think not. that opinion echoes a lot of people just maybe not as animated as that.

i thought it was almost a given that it would not be eligible anyway.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#73TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 3:09pm

Yay! I'm excited about Jan Maxwell's future Tony and Kate Baldwin's (and maybe Christiane Noll's!) future Tony nomination!

Watch, they nominate four play scores for Best Original Score. I'd laugh. And then cry. And then applaud.

Boy, Featured Actress in a Musical... They just made that category hairy as all heck. Catfight to the death! Mistake putting Barbara in that category in my opinion. Not only will she now compete with her co-star, but also the two frontrunners?

I have a bit of a feeling we might see some very surprising Tony nominations.

~Steven

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 3:30pm

This is going to be one of the craziest Tony awards in recent memory. I cannot think of ONE definite winner in any category. Wow.

Videos