pixeltracker

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.- Page 3

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#50Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 9:42am

I thought the entire thing from start to finish was musical comedy heaven.

Kathleen Marshall did here what she did with Pajama Game. She treated the show with respect...but not as a museum piece. Yes...the book creaks here and there and tightening is needed. But for a first preview? Absolutely stellar.

Sutton Foster looks sensational (strangely, in the blond wig, she reminded me of a young Kate Capshaw...I was hoping for a verse of Anything Goes in Mandarin). She sounds terrific, dances like an Olympian and brings humor, warmth, charm and vulnerability together into a perfectly winning performance. She's magic.

Special mention must be made of Laura Osnes who has somehow found a way to infuse vitality into the corpse of a role known as Hope. Her Goodbye, Little Dream, Goodbye (a song I cannot stand) was simply gorgeous.

Colin Donnel (who I didn't realize I saw as Young Ben in the Encores Follies) was pretty perfect as Billy. As were everyone in the cast. Jessica Stone? Delicious.

Yes...even Joel Grey, who seemed a bit unsure of his lines. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll find surer footing as the preview process goes along.

And what a joy to see John McMartin playing the role of Elisha Whitney with such a joyful, drunken elan.

It was nice to see a show that could wink at itself without devolving into camp. And to see a show where everyone was on the same page in terms of performance style.

And then there were the production numbers. Yes...Anything Goes and Blow, Gabriel Blow rightfully stopped the show. But It's De-Lovely was so romantic, and yet, thrilling at the same time. Friendship and You're the Top simply made you fall in love with the stars. It was gorgeously designed.

Honestly...it was a marvelous night. I still feel like I'm walking on air this morning.

This show has made me the happiest I've felt in over two months. And that's saying something.

TrpleThreat89
#51Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 9:46am

I agree with most of the comments here. I'm a big Sutton fan, but I agree that this was an odd role to see her in, but she did look great, and sing and dance it well. I thought Joel Grey was adorable, and those mishaps were hilarious. (plus, Joel broke during the "prison door opening" mishap). I really was impressed with Colin Donnell. His voice is so incredibly smooth, his dancing is great, and he's not bad to look at. Laura Osnes looked and sounded beautiful. I loved "De-Lovely" with the four ensemble couples dancing around with Billy and Hope. So romantic. Actually, I was a little disappointed with the lowered key on "Blow, Gabriel, Blow."

Absolutely NO merch there. Show curtain is blue with a ship on the left, and "Anything Goes" on the right.

To get it out of the way, here are the understudies:
Reno - Tari Kelly
Billy & Evelyn - Josh Franklin
Moonface - Robert Creighton
Hope - Nikki Renee Daniels
Evangeline - Linda Mugleston
Elisha & Captain - William Ryall
Purser - Clyde Alves
Erma - Joyce Chittick
Luke & John - Daniel J. Edwards

And since someone will ask about this, both Sutton and Joel did come out and sign Playbills.
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 09:46 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#52Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 10:39am

RobbieJ - I am thrilled at your review! You really make me excited about seeing the show. Especially given your previous assessment of Sutton and her talent from years ago. Also your comment about Kathleen Marshall. I really wasn't impressed with Kiss Me Kate and Grease was just an embarrassment. I'm glad she's back on track with Anything Goes.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SonofRobbieJ
#53Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 10:45am

Ya know...I think she gets an unfairly bad rap for that Grease. I thought it was FAR more enjoyable than the mid 90's version with Rosie O'Donnell, et al. I think Grease is nearly unrevivable at this point.

As for Ms. Foster, a lady can always admit when she's wrong. And boy was I wrong. She truly has become an absolute star, and brings all of that to her Reno Sweeney. She's sexy, smart, funny and a powerhouse. Everything I want my Reno to be.

Q
#54Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:06pm

Sonof - I will still always treasure the memory of "Circus Ponies!" Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#55Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:37pm

I agree with everything Robbie said. I feel pretty euphoric today myself.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#56Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:43pm

I may be completely wrong about this, but with a show that is such a classic like Anything Goes, doesn't the score overshadow the book?? I feel like that would help me forget about the faults of the book. Then again, if the production numbers aren't great, then that's an upset.

miss pennywise
#57Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:45pm

The production numbers are SENSATIONAL!

~ Best12Bars

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#58Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:51pm

I thought it was FAR more enjoyable than the mid 90's version with Rosie O'Donnell, et al.

I will agree with you on that point. The Vegas Grease of the 90s was ridiculous. I don't think Grease is unrevivable, but it needs to be brought back to its roots. The original production was a runaway hit for 6 years before the sanitized film version appeared on the scene, so it obviously held up on its own. I think that's the only way it can come back again respectfully.

Now I'm truly torn. I may have an opportunity to see an additional show in my schedule (planning on La Cage again with Mom in tow just as she wanted, War Horse and Book of Mormon) and I was thinking it would be How to Succeed, but these comments are pushing me towards Anything Goes. The other tossup is Good People.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SonofRobbieJ
#59Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 12:53pm

Yes. The score is the star, and it's really well served here. The orchestra sounds bright and sharp, and the energy brought to the numbers by the entire cast simply make them soar.

The book is still a bit of a relic, but I found myself invested in this production more than any other. I've never actually cared about the Billy/Hope romance before (even when I played Billy!!), but Donnell and Osnes are really winning in this roles.

miss pennywise
#60Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 2:35pm

BTW, the choreography of "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" is reminiscent of the "Sing Sing Sing" number from Bob Fosse's DANCIN'. Does anyone else see that or is it just me?

~ Best12Bars

suechru
#61Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 2:35pm

Just got my hiptix ticket for row GG. How's the view from the rear mezzanine?

2010: Next to Normal (May 25), Hair (Jun 9), American Idiot (Sep 10), Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (Sep 26), The Scottsboro Boys (Oct 17), Fela! (Nov 14), Next to Normal (Dec 30) 2011: That Championship Season (Feb 15), La Cage Aux Folles (Mar 16), The Book of Mormon (Mar 16), Anything Goes (Mar 30)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#62Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 2:40pm

I was in row GG last night...the view was excellent!

suechru
#63Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 2:45pm

Good to hear! I figured it couldn't be that bad from the seating chart. I know the book is probably weak as this is a pre-Oklahoma musical but this really looks like a fun show with a nice score. I'm really excited!

2010: Next to Normal (May 25), Hair (Jun 9), American Idiot (Sep 10), Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (Sep 26), The Scottsboro Boys (Oct 17), Fela! (Nov 14), Next to Normal (Dec 30) 2011: That Championship Season (Feb 15), La Cage Aux Folles (Mar 16), The Book of Mormon (Mar 16), Anything Goes (Mar 30)

Josh Freilich
#64Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 3:07pm

Nice to hear from everybody!

Now that we got the understudies out of the way, how about the band?

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#65Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 3:53pm

I know that timing is not completely set in stone yet, as it is in previews, and can and probably will tighten up. But, can someone give me an estimate about how long it ran last night? I'm debating on when to see it, and timing will definitely be a factor there.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

thismyshow
#66Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:15pm

did jessica walter come out last night? as a huge arrested development fan i hope the answer is yes :)

TrpleThreat89
#67Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:16pm

I think we got about about 10:45, although the show started a few minutes late. I'm sure it will tighten a little bit before opening.

bwayfan7000
#68Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:16pm

As far as this book goes, I think they're using an updated version, but I seem to remember reading that the original book was written in roughly a week...could be wrong, though.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#69Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:20pm

i have a picture of the show curtain, but cant figure out how to post it directly to this message without a link...anyone care to lend a hand?

I'll take the wind and soar.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#70Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:35pm

^ Upload it to photbucket/image shack then post in in the body of the message

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

miss pennywise
#71Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:36pm

First act is about 1.5 hours. Second act is 55 minutes.

~ Best12Bars

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#72Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:47pm

PLEASE post a picture. I'm a curtain freak... I know.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#73Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 4:49pm

still not working...any more thoughts?

I'll take the wind and soar.
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 04:49 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#74Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 5:02pm

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos