pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:28am

"if you have no interval, then you are selling less than a full show, not to mention the lost interval sales."

Less than a full show???   Because it doesn't need an intermission?  Because it "might" be a little shorter?  Ridiculous. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

evic
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 9:34am

It Shoulda doesn't have an intermission.......every year, there is a massacre on Broadway with shows closing after the Tonys.  I think this year will be different where a slew of shows will pack up after the nominations are announced.  The Euro and pound is very weak now and I think many Europeans will not be running to the theater this summer.

Jay94
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 12:14pm

Phantom also crossed 1 Billion this week, the second show to do so after The Lion King.

hppyglucky
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 1:40pm

If Shoulda only went up in attendance because it was press week, and everything was comped, then why did it's gross jump by $100,000?  Maybe I'm missing something.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 2:09pm

@hppyglucky- I don't think anyone suggested that Shoulda's paid sales did not go up. Its attendance went up considerably (because of the press comps, at least significantly), its avg price went down and it remains under water. I think the uptick in sales may relate to the specifics of that week, but I doubt it is a general trend. The producers unquestionably are on it, but they are still bleeding and it really seems unlikely there is an audience out there to get them over the hump.

neonlightsxo
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 2:10pm

My comment was about the 25% increase in attendance, I didn't say anything about the price or gross.

Jarethan
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 3:41pm

Clearly, Renee Flemings is NOT a Broadway attraction.  In response to a prior comment, if she was, they wouldn't have to paper and discount so heavily...and still gross under $200K.  This always smacked of Summer Stock to me, not Broadway in 2015

I am surprised that The Visit is doing Sooooo badly.  Shows that Chita is not (and never has really been) a box office attraction.  Which is a shame...I saw it in Virginia a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot, although I thought of it as having limited appeal.  I still thought that is would do better than this, however.  

I am thrilled at Finding Neverland's grosses, since I am among the group who thinks it is a rare magical event, even if not perfect.

Finally, I don't know if anyone has noticed that -- really for e first time ever -- Matilda and Kinky Boots seem to have reversed places.  I know that Matilda benefits from families, etc., but Kinky always did better until a couple of weeks ago.  Matilda seems to be getting a major second wind, whereas Kinky seems to be settling into a downward slope.  Hope it is not too steep, because I loved it and figured it was good for 5 - 6 years.  Not so sure anymore, especially if a few spring show -- namely, Neverland, American in Paris and Something Rotten-- become real hits, which I am thinking may end up being the case....not to mention The King and I.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 3:48pm

re Matilda vs Kinky Boots, while the former is ahead in the 2015 horse race, the latter is doing exceptionally fine, and if that is a slide, it's one any producer would love to be on. 

Jarethan
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 3:56pm

I was thinking how it seems to be trending.  I thought it would sell out for a few years.  It just seems to me that there is an earlier than expected settling down.  also, I am really interested that after 2 years, positioning vs. Matilda seems to be shifting.  That's all.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:07pm

I believe Matilda cost almost twice as much as Kinky Boots, so Kinky Boots has made more profit by now I would imagine.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 4:12pm

2 MORE WEEKS UNTIL TONY NOMINATIONS!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

ebontoyan
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:13pm

Re KB vs. Matilda: Let's see if Billy Porter's return will change KB grosses. I don't think   the show needs to worry...yet

bfreak
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:23pm

Even though Kinky Boots isn't selling out every single performance, I don't think people should get worried or think it's threatened to close. It is normal for a show to level off after a few years (unless your name is Wicked, The Lion King, or The Book of Mormon) Look at Phantom of the Opera. That hasn't been SRO for years but it is still doing respectable numbers (like Kinky Boots) and will be open for many more (again most likely Kinky Boots will be as well).

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 5:36pm

"2 MORE WEEKS UNTIL TONY NOMINATIONS!!"

Really Philly ?

Thanks anyway.

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:24pm

One reason Kinky Boots isn't doing as well as Matilda right now could possibly be down to all of the more adult musicals and plays currently opening and running. KB is predominantly for an adult audience.  Neverland, Visit, OTT, AAIP, Rotten, etc, along with Fish in the Dark, Audience, Skylight, Only a Play, Wolf Hall, etc are all aimed at the adult wallet.  

The family show market is really down to Lion King, Aladdin, and Matilda.  Last year there was Annie and Cinderella as well up until January - if I have my closings right..

With Wicked and maybe Gigi making a play at the tween and teen female audiences.

After the Tony's, things will close and the ticket picture will likely get better for the longer running shows that may be dipping now.

Just a thought.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/14/15 at 10:35pm

Matilda is the far superior show. So glad to see it in the top 5 again. It was only a matter of time before Tony buzz died for Kinky Boots. And I doubt Billy Porter returning will impact anything? 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 4:55pm

Matilda historically gets a bump every holiday the kids are out. Last year it did the same thing, went down in May up and came back up mid June through the summer. 

Up In One

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 5:02pm

notthecomfychair

The family show market is really down to Lion King, Aladdin, and Matilda.  Last year there was Annie and Cinderella as well up until January - if I have my closings right..With Wicked and maybe Gigi making a play at the tween and teen female audiences.

---

You forgot about FINDING NEVERLAND and yes many say it is not really a family show but per a concierge friend it is the most asked about show for families wanting to get tickets with their children.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:34pm

I didn't forget Neverland. I put it amongst the more adult shows because everything I have heard says that the material of the musical is less appealing to families than the Disney or Matilda.  While I haven't seen it, I based my opinion on what I was told by theatre people I know who saw it either in Boston or here in NYC. Their opinions on the show were mixed to say the least, but none felt the material was a great choice for families.  Many did say that there were some clumsy attempts to make it more appealing to the the family audience. To be honest, when I saw the film, I didn't think the material would be great for families.

Interesting that the concierge reported the way they did. I haven't seen the marketing for the show. I wonder if Harvey W is pushing for a family audience?

Updated On: 4/15/15 at 07:34 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#69Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:41pm

if he is smart (and he is) Harvey is pushing for all audiences.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#70Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 7:52pm

With all these shows struggling its amazing that I cant find a decent affordable seat to most of them. There's a problem here. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#71Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:05pm

^ Your right - the way they control the inventory they probably actually loose business. I'd rather not go than sit in a bad seat but they rather hold out for full price or premium prices than release the seats to people who actually want to see the show. In the end they wind up papering or sending them over to the booth. 

Up In One

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#72Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:33pm

^ Please tell me English is not your primary language.

AnarchyinthePreK Profile Photo
AnarchyinthePreK
#73Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:58pm

I have a ticket to see the Heidi Chronicles in July...Is there any chance it will still be open?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#74Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/12/15
Posted: 4/17/15 at 12:10am

^ Heidi? July? NO!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos