THE VISIT Reviews

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#50THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:16pm

Which reviews (other than the NYT) have the most impact?  or are viewed as the most important?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#51THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:23pm

So how many Tony nominations shall The Visit receive?

Best Musical?
Best Leading Actress in a Musical (Chita Rivera)?
Best Direction of a Musical?
Best Original Score?
Best Book of a Musical?
Best Orchestrations?
Best Lighting Design of a Musical?
Best Scenic Design of a Musical?

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#52THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:32pm

I would guess:

Musical, Leading Actress, Score, Lighting and Scenic.

theatreguy12
#53THE VISIT Reviews

It is just so evocative….I would love to see it get nods for musical, leading actress, score, direction and lighting and set design.  There's something to be said for all of these aspects of the show, even if it doesn't resonate with everyone.

I'm happy to see it getting some love….it was just such a unique experience.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#54THE VISIT Reviews

8 nominations ~ that seems pretty spot on Jeffrey for The Visit but a lot of musicals opened this season so we'll see next Tuesday 4/28 8:30am

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/23/15 at 11:32 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#55THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/23/15 at 11:46pm

I must say that I am pretty satisfied with the reviews. Even the mixed/negative ones are respectful of the piece. And there are many positives and pull quotes.

MNC77
#56THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 12:06am

It almost seems like some of the critics are scared to be too negative, so they focus on the good aspects and brush aside the bad ones. Though, to be fair, its hard to outright criticize kander and ebb or Chita Rivera

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 12:38am

Angela Lansbury and Rita Moreno were there tonight, which is AWESOME!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#58THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 1:11am

THE VISIT Reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#59THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 1:18am

Who drew that? It's wonderful.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#60THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 1:40am

Fantod

artist Justin “Squigs” Robertson penned this portrait of the entire cast.

About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#61THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 1:56am

Those are great. They are like what the Sardi's caricatures should be like.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#62THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 2:27am

I love that cartoon, too.

Has there ever been a bolder writing team on Broadway?  What a career for Kander & Ebb!  London can only look on and envy (and that goes for this whole season actually).

itseemssobeautiful Profile Photo
itseemssobeautiful
#63THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 2:32am

Does anyone know much stage time (approx) John Riddle (Young Anton) gets? Brantley seemed to enjoy his performance. I saw him as Che in the Evita tour and he was hands down the highlight of the show. I hope this is the beginning of a long Broadway career for him!

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 02:32 AM

Freeman5
#64THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 2:55am

I saw an earlier production of The Visit and I will never forget Chita Rivera's Cliare, truly one of the most powerful performances I have ever seen. From these reviews and other posts on here, it sounds like the thing that makes this production less powerful and riveting is Roger Rees' performance, esp. his singing voice. I don't get a sense that John Doyle changed the actual show much at all?

I want to express an unpopular opinion about the Lead Actress in a Musical Tony race: I think that the roles of Claire (Chita Rivera) and Lily Garland (Kristin Chenowith) are much more difficult for an actress than the much easier Anna (Kelli O'Hara) in The King and I. I know the fanboys have their hearts set on Ms. O"hara winning the Tony, and perhaps she will win. But in terms of who should win, I prefer Ms. Rivera, Ms. Chenowith, Ms. Davie and Ms. Padgett (I haven't seen the others). My only point is that voters for awards ought (but don't) factor in the degree of difficulty and whether they have been met - I'm thinking about the way figure skaters are judged - if they do quads they are rewarded for them, and I think that should be true of stage performances  (with quads being pulling off difficult roles, performing songs that are less well known expertly, creating original characters and making them memorable, chemistry, stage presence, and intangibles). I think it's going to be extremely close this year and any of the three actresses can win it. I'm decidedly not rooting for Kelli O'Hara. Part of that isn't her fault at all: there is a huge problem (imo, I know many don't share this view) with this particular production that can be summed up in two words: Ken Watanabe. He has zero chemistry, poor diction, and is distracting - I really hate his casting in this role, hate it is too mild of a reaction. An Anna without a strong worthwhile King simply doesn't cut it. I know most of you disagree but at least respect my differing opinion.

The Visit is a wonderful night of theatre with a legendary performer giving a great bravura performance, performing a complex rich exciting score with a thoughtful interesting better than usual book for a musical. The design elements are mesmerizing and memorable. While having fun is great, theatre that is more dramatic is great too.

I'm so glad that Chita Rivera was so tenacious and got The Visit on to broadway. I look forward to seeing other actresses in this role, such as Patti LuPone, Audra McDonald, Debra Monk, Tonya Pinkins - as these actresses get older, they will have a vehicle for their talents with a lead role for an older musical actress.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#65THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:18am

Riddle and Veintimila are on stage for almost the entire performance. I don't think either one has any speaking lines though.

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#66THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 6:16am

Given the challenging nature of the piece I'm delighted with the reviews.

Plenty of pull quotes.

I admired the score more than most of the critics, but I'm a K&E devotee.

The reason people are going to be interested is to see Chita, Kander, and Ebb in their final collaboration. In that regard the reviews are going to be a huge assistance in marketing the show.

....but the world goes 'round

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#67THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 8:39am

Anna, one of the best-written roles in musical theatre, is not a difficult role? Perhaps we don't give Ms. O'Hara enough credit for making it look so effortless. Anna is nowhere near a walk in the park in terms of difficulty.

indytallguy
#68THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 8:50am

"Anna, one of the best-written roles in musical theatre, is not a difficult role? Perhaps we don't give Ms. O'Hara enough credit for making it look so effortless. Anna is nowhere near a walk in the park in terms of difficulty."

I was just thinking about the same thing.  I certainly don't see Claire (as staged in the current production) being more difficult than Anna.  I supposed it depends on the factors that influence one to consider a role difficult.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#69THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 8:51am

I wonder if the good reviews will translate into an increase in ticket sales. The one thing I'm really interested in seeing is the set.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

TheaterGal3
#70THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 9:10am

I think that’s the problem, Kelli O’Hara makes it look easy. Critics have also pointed out how effortless she makes it look. Instead of being rewarded for this she’s being overlooked. I don’t view Anna as an easy character to play. I saw The King and I and was truly impressed by Kelli’s acting. I had an excellent seat making it possible for me to see all of her facial reactions. Those reactions were not bland at all. She's much more than that amazing voice and brought all of that to the role of Anna. I haven’t seen The Visit yet, but the critics seem to have more praise for Kristen and Kelli’s performances than they do Chita’s. I don’t think Kelli should be rewarded because “it’s time” nor do I think Chita should be rewarded because this could be her last time on Broadway.

I’m looking forward to seeing The Visit next month. I did see the set when I was in Williamstown last year and thought it looked awesome. I was at a concert Kelli was doing and that was the setting on the stage. Ironic. No matter who wins, what a great time it is for theatergoers who get to watch these actresses in these roles.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#71THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 9:20am

I appreciate Tazber's remarks. For K&E and Rivera devotees, it's nothing less than required viewing.  It's hard to imagine anyone else invested in the American musical skipping it.  But that's a biased opinion.  I suspect the road past the Tonys will be a difficult one.  Wishful thinking: it plays til Labor Day, allowing the above-mentioned potential audience access.  Though everything about this show serves my own tastes, I can't see it lasting into the fall. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

jonanthony2 Profile Photo
jonanthony2
#72THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 9:21am

"I think that’s the problem, Kelli O’Hara makes it look easy. Critics have also pointed out how effortless she makes it look. Instead of being rewarded for this she’s being overlooked. I don’t view Anna as an easy character to play. I saw The King and I and was truly impressed by Kelli’s acting. I had an excellent seat making it possible for me to see all of her facial reactions. Those reactions were not bland at all. She's much more than that amazing voice and brought all of that to the role of Anna. I haven’t seen The Visit yet, but the critics seem to have more praise for Kristen and Kelli’s performances than they do Chita’s. I don’t think Kelli should be rewarded because “it’s time” nor do I think Chita should be rewarded because this could be her last time on Broadway.
I’m looking forward to seeing The Visit next month. I did see the set when I was in Williamstown last year and thought it looked awesome. I was at a concert Kelli was doing and that was the setting on the stage. Ironic. No matter who wins, what a great time it is for theatergoers who get to watch these actresses in these roles. "

Ok folks let's not get our panties in a bunch because someone has a different opinion than some of you lol.. Any actress nominated will deserve it but not all can be nominated. Let's not start the "Rudeness Express" that rolls through these boards so often because we all don't see things the same way. 

TheaterGal3
#73THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 9:22am

Ok folks let's not get our panties in a bunch because someone has a different opinion than some of you lol.. Any actress nominated will deserve it but not all can be nominated. Let's not start the "Rudeness Express" that rolls through these boards so often because we all don't see things the same way. "

There was no rudeness.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 4/24/15 at 9:39am

Trying not to be biased because I love the production, but I think I only had read about 2 mixed reviews on Chita's performance. The rest seemed on par with O'Hara's reviews. I haven't read Chenoweth's since opening night. I think it's safe to say that all three received mostly raves, which makes the Tony even more exciting.

Videos