pixeltracker

Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS- Page 3

Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS

slmlbl Profile Photo
slmlbl
#50Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/1/17 at 7:50pm

So my question is:

Is the voice over at the start "sugar butter flour" still Sara or have they changed it? I've been hoping they changed it to Jessie while Sara is in

The Pecan Sandies
#51Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/1/17 at 9:02pm

slmlbl said: "So my question is:

Is the voice over at the start "sugar butter flour" still Sara or have they changed it? I've been hoping they changed it to Jessie while Sara is in
"

The voice over and pre show announcement are both still Sara

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#52Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 12:04am

I saw this tonight - splurged - and WOW. I mean, I saw the show with Jessie and absolutely fell in love with it, but having grown up basically listening to Bareilles' music, I had to see her. And she delivered. I thought her acting was outstanding. She's not as meek as Jessie played it, but I think her portrayal totally worked. She had a spunky attitude with her work friends, but was very meek/quiet with Earl, which I think spoke true. And of course her voice is flawless. Like seriously. Just gorgeous. The little riffs she added here and there. And I finally enjoyed "Soft Place to Land." I don't know why, but that song never spoke to me, but I found myself so captivated by it tonight. The gorgeous harmonies, etc. Chris was hilarious as the Doctor. He's so cute and charming and great voice. Will was great. I mean, we hated him, so I guess he did his job. It's a thankless role, and there's not much to do with it, but I think he played Earl truthfully and showed us a few sides to him. 

The ensemble is, of course, killing the game. 

On first viewing I thought maybe the show was overdirected and over-choreographed. But on second viewing - with Diane Paulus and Nina Vardalos near me - I think it works. It's maybe not how I would have conceived it, but I like it. It's sweat and gorgeous. I think this is my favorite show of the past few seasons - granted I haven't seen Hamilton or heck even Dear Evan Hansen. 

I'll def. be back.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#53Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 12:32am

Oh! I almost forgot! Tonight Dr. Pom went to give Jenny her prescription in their first scene together, the piece of paper flew out of his hand, landed on the stage and then flew into the front row. Chris literally dove, head first, into the front row, fell the ground, grabbed the piece of paper, and climbed back on stage. Sara didn't even break. So maybe this happens, but I was in shock/awe/and laughing hysterically as I was in the second row. 

KathyNYC2
#54Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 1:10am

RippedMan said: "Oh! I almost forgot! Tonight Dr. Pom went to give Jenny her prescription in their first scene together, the piece of paper flew out of his hand, landed on the stage and then flew into the front row. Chris literally dove, head first, into the front row, fell the ground, grabbed the piece of paper, and climbed back on stage. Sara didn't even break. So maybe this happens, but I was in shock/awe/and laughing hysterically as I was in the second row. 

"

Dear 3 people in the front row of @WaitressMusical - my sincere apologies for falling face first into your crotches. You wanted live theater.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#55Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 1:40am

He was so great, and his commitment to the bit was incredible. And Sara literally held the same look through the whole sequence. So anyone doubting her acting is a fool. I understand she has no professional credits, but honestly, as an actor, that doesn't mean a lot. There are a lot of terrible actors out there that people like for whatever reasons. She wrote this music, she is connected to it, and you can tell. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#56Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 4:32am

Good to hear. I am back in town next weekend, and am hoping to sort out a few dates to try and get box seats while she is still in the show.. when I saw live clips of her singing these songs, she always seemed so emotive already, it just seemed like she would be able to pull it off. Glad to hear that is the case! On my most recent trip to the diner, I became a huge fan of this show.

Jesus_Freak Profile Photo
Jesus_Freak
#57Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 1:24pm

I've just finished watching the absolutely wonderful and charming motion picture starring Kerri Russell that is the basis for this equally wonderful Broadway musical!

Has anyone else seen it? RIP Adrienne Shelly - a talent taken much too soon. Wish you were here to see this.

I am looking forward to seeing Sara Bareilles in the show.

Jesus_Freak Profile Photo
Jesus_Freak
#58Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 1:24pm

I've just finished watching the absolutely wonderful and charming motion picture starring Kerri Russell that is the basis for this equally wonderful Broadway musical!

Has anyone else seen it? RIP Adrienne Shelly - a talent taken much too soon. Wish you were here to see this.

I am looking forward to seeing Sara Bareilles in the show.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#59Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/2/17 at 4:07pm

Jesus_freak, the movie is one of my favorites of all time which is why I was hesitant about this musical. I also am not really a Sara fan (I don't dislike her or anything--just indifferent) which also played into my hesitation. But I moved to the west coast before it started previews so my feelings are pretty moot.

However, if Betsy is indeed the next Jenna, I will be there in a heartbeat when I'm back in NYC this summer.

KRaser1
#60Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:20pm

I know a previous post mentioned that Sara came out to the stage door but didn't sign. Is that still accurate? Will she take photos typically?

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#61Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/4/17 at 2:36pm

Has the blue waitress costume changed? In Sara's promo photos, her outfit looked like more of a cobalt-y color as opposed to Jessie's pale blue.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

The Pecan Sandies
#62Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/4/17 at 2:45pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Has the blue waitress costume changed? In Sara's promo photos, her outfit looked like more of a cobalt-y color as opposed to Jessie's pale blue."

I believe that was just for the promo shots. It's still the pale blue in the show

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#63Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:59pm

Just saw the first act. Unfortunately, I have to say Sara's performance leaves more to be desired. Seeing Sara made me realize what made the show work when Jessie was here: there's a sense of brokenness and fragility in Jessie's Jenna that Sara's sass, while serviceable to a few numbers, can't quite replace. Maybe she still needs time to settle in, but I'm afraid to say she doesn't act like someone suffocated in a marriage with an abusive husband. Quite the opposite, she seems to be just fine in scenes where such issues are not mentioned and borderline passable in What Baking Can Do and the Earl song. This, eventually, makes the closing number "Bad Idea" a really bad idea. You kind of get the idea from Sara's performance that she just wants to have fun instead of her being stuck forcing her to do so. I would venture to say that without Jessie's nuanced and stellar performance or one on a comparable level, the show does seem quite average.

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 08:59 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#64Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:15am

I don't think that's a fair criticism at all. Not every battered housewife is going to act the same? Jessie's played it more meek and quiet, but I think Sara played it more like she's got a lot of life to live. You saw the spunk and "sass" she had with her friends, so when she was with Earl and clammed up, it made it all the more heartbreaking because you knew the kind of person she was. To each their own I guess. I loved both performances. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#65Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:40am

RippedMan said: "I don't think that's a fair criticism at all. Not every battered housewife is going to act the same? Jessie's played it more meek and quiet, but I think Sara played it more like she's got a lot of life to live. You saw the spunk and "sass" she had with her friends, so when she was with Earl and clammed up, it made it all the more heartbreaking because you knew the kind of person she was. To each their own I guess. I loved both performances. 

"

It's true that one character needs not and should not be played in the same way. However, my biggest problem with Sara's performance is that her Jenna starts out and ends up the same person. The material is at least good enough to give Jenna an arc, and in Jessie's performance you could clearly hear two Jenna's in the two versions of Opening Up. And speaking of the Earl scene, I got this weird feeling that Jenna was abused by Earl only for the first time rather than a long-term victim. Again, Sara might need some time to settle in and finetune her performance. But after seeing Jessie four times, you would naturally expect an replacement, name or not, to deliver a stellar performance.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#66Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/5/17 at 1:10am

That's your opinion. I thought both did a stellar job. They just played the part differently. You, apparently, prefer Jessie's performance. That's fine. I just think the part can be played in a multitude of ways, and I'm glad Sara didn't feel the need to copy Jessie. 

KathyNYC2
#67Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:21am

RippedMan said: "That's your opinion. I thought both did a stellar job. They just played the part differently. You, apparently, prefer Jessie's performance. That's fine. I just think the part can be played in a multitude of ways, and I'm glad Sara didn't feel the need to copy Jessie. 

"

I Agree. I was excited that Sara did not just copy what Jessie did and put her own spin on the role. I am sure that Jessie does the best Jessie version, understudy Stephanie does the best Stephanie version and Sara is doing her version. All get unbelievably great responses for their efforts by audiences. And I personally see changes in Jenna from start to finish no matter who has played her, Sara included. 

That said, Sara has been here less than a week and I'm sure her performances will be more nuanced as her run continues, as will performances of Chris and Will as new cast members also. I just don't also get the "this seems like the first time Jenna was abused" comment. Right before Jenna tells Earl she is pregnant and Earl looks like he's going to hit her, Sara's Jenna was definitely trying to get out of the way, like she knew what was coming. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#68Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/10/17 at 12:56pm

New highlight reel!

Link

I must say, Sara "reads" a lot more like the Jenna I imagine, than I thought she would. (I saw her more as Becky.) And I'm not used to Will Swenson looking so...sleazy! Lol

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#69Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:08pm

I saw the show on Saturday night and the new cast is fantastic! Dare I say, I enjoyed Sara's "Whats Inside" and "What Baking can do" more than Jessie's. Her belt is so clean and during WBCD she held out the notes for a few more seconds than they are written, and the crowd went crazy. Her accent also sounds super polished and natural considering this is the beginning of her run. 

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#70Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:31pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/VIDEO-WAITRESS-Unveils-New-Highlights-of-Sara-Bareilles-Smashes-Records-at-the-Brooks-Atkinson-Theatre-20170410

Looks like we are getting box office numbers early this week on WAITRESS and it is killing it!  $1.2m for last week which I think is going to put it well above the 100% gross potential mark.  

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#71Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:34pm

Caught the show with Sara last week and it is truly an amazing experience. She is incredibly committed and sounds so good in all her songs.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#72Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:44pm

Bought a box seat for her penultimate weekend, looking forward to seeing her in the show!

Ilovemusic3
#73Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/22/17 at 6:56pm

Hello!

Please forgive me for reviving an old thread just to ask a question.   Also, please forgive me if this has been asked already. Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS

Has anyone seen Sara on a Sunday? My niece wants to see Sara and she has a busy schedule.  Sundays work best for her. 

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate your help. :)

akmiller_98
#74Sara Bareilles in WAITRESS
Posted: 4/22/17 at 7:33pm

I saw it on a Sunday and Sara was in.

Videos