ANASTASIA Reviews

cam5y
#50ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:51pm

Mike66 said: "The WORST thing about the EW review is it gets its historical facts wrong.  Way wrong.

As to whether their deaths were "tragic", that depends on how you feel about dynastic rulers who enslave their peoples en masse.  (The Russians did not end the serf system until late in the 19th century.)

OK, back to Broadway now...."
"

Serfdom in Russia was abolished in 1861. Slavery was abolished in the US in 1863. Is slavery worse if it is enacted by dynastic rulers?

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#51ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:53pm

I've read three reviews -Time OutNY, EW and Hollywood Reporter-. The three of them mention screaming teenagers. 

I... want to guess all the critics went to the same show instead of that happening every time? (But I guess the latter is fairly possible as well)

Mike66
#52ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:57pm

Serfdom in Russia was abolished in 1861. Slavery was abolished in the US in 1863. Is slavery worse if it is enacted by dynastic rulers?

"Um, yes.

Um, part two, slavery aint nothing to be proud of....  And perhaps it would have been understandable if there had been a handful of people "in charge" who were lined up against a wall for all of that too.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#53ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:59pm

All fingers crossed that they get a positive from NY Times.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#54ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:59pm

"They all have very excellent teeth."

Huh?!

cam5y
#55ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:00pm

Mike66 said: "

"Um, yes.

Um, part two, slavery aint nothing to be proud of....  And perhaps it would have been understandable if there had been a handful of people "in charge" who were lined up against a wall for all of that too.
"

Um, yes? Slavery is absolutely nothing to be proud of. And I would argue that it is much worse if it is enacted by a so-called democracy.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#56ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:03pm

New York Times is in, by Brantley. Pretty negative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/theater/anastasia-review-broadway.html?_r=0

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 10:03 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#58ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:08pm

That Times review... OUCH... 

"Once she switches from her street-sweeper rags into Parisian haute couture (the costumes are by Linda Cho) you may discern a resemblance to that current fashion plate of American royalty, Ivanka Trump. I did anyway. Such are the little self-diverting games a constant theatergoer plays when the mind wanders."

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Mike66
#59ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:08pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "New York Times is in, by Brantley. Pretty negative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/theater/anastasia-review-broadway.html?_r=0

"I think Brantley has reached a "Negative but I'm not going to be Cruel" zen moment these last few days.... He seems to be pretty snarky though.

But he clearly didn't like this any more than he liked Charlie...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#60ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:09pm

To whoever mentioned how the songs are a lot like the past musicals, congrats b/c a lot of critics pulled that out, especially Ben.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#61ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:16pm

I've yet to see Anastasia (going in a few weeks), but I just sent the NYTimes review to some of my friends who have, and a few of them said they think he was far too harsh on the show.

Between this, Wicked, and even Charlie for all that matters, is Brantley ever really a fan of musicals that appeal to families and/or millennials?

Trish2
#62ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:17pm

The NY Times is surely a pan--there's no question.

When he keeps bringing up how embarrassed everyone is, as well as songs from better shows, you know it's not good! Yikes.

But like he mentioned, it may find footing with it's targeted audience.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#63ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:18pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I've yet to see Anastasia (going in a few weeks), but I just sent the NYTimes review to some of my friends who have, and a few of them said they think he was far too harsh on the show.

Between this, Wicked, and even Charlie for all that matters, is Brantley ever really a fan of musicals that appeal to families and/or millennials?

"

In most recent memory, he liked School of Rock.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#64ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:19pm

^And Matilda!

cam5y
#65ANASTASIA Reviews

BroadwayConcierge said: "I've yet to see Anastasia (going in a few weeks), but I just sent the NYTimes review to some of my friends who have, and a few of them said they think he was far too harsh on the show.

"

Matilda. Is Billy Elliot too long ago?

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#66ANASTASIA Reviews

"

Brantley ADORED "Matilda".

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/theater/reviews/matilda-the-musical-at-shubert-theater.html

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#67ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:21pm

I agree with his review.  But I knew going in that I was not the demographic for this musical.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

pupscotch
#68ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:27pm

Damn. I wasn't expecting raves, but definitely not pans. And there were so many Trump references (whether to him or Ivanka), I'm astonished and I must say confused as to why.

ForB4
#69ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:27pm

Brantley may not be the demographic for this show but he's still being too harsh imo. And why do people keep making references to Trump?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#70ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:28pm

Maybe because it is a  shi***y show?  I mean.. COME ON!

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 10:28 PM

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#71ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:30pm

He actually liked Chocolate Factory more than Anastasia. Bandstand next...

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 10:30 PM

ForB4
#72ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:31pm

DAME said: "Maybe because it is a  shi***y show?  I mean.. COME ON!

"

Well then you and Brantley agree on that. I for one thought it was a wonderful show. I mean...COME ON!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#73ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:33pm

ForB4 said: "DAME said: "Maybe because it is a  shi***y show?  I mean.. COME ON!

"

Well then you and Brantley agree on that. I for one thought it was a wonderful show. I mean...COME ON!

"

I am glad you enjoyed it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#74ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:34pm

If Laura Osnes picks up good reviews when Bandstand opens, I would say there's a strong possibility that she, not Altomare, nabs the last slot for Leading Actress in a Musical (with the other four going to Bette, Patti, Ebersole, and Denee Benton). 

Videos