pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 3

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

10086sunset
#50Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:00pm

ljay889 said: "Wonderful Town was 14 years ago. Her attendance record since has been near perfect. "

Yes it was 14 years ago. It happened and like you mentioned, her attendance record has been significantly better. Whether she missed because she was having vocal trouble, filming a pilot, or any other of the rumored reasons, it ultimately doesn't matter.

I do not believe a Donna Murphy fan or anyone should be calling people "F*cking idiots." 

That's it and I'll leave it at that, so this thread does not get hijacked and can focus on her performance. 

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#51Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:08pm

Ahh, thank you, Robbie! I just assumed Bette Midler's name would be attached, as it is on most everything else. But I'm glad to hear Donna Murphy got her own billing page!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#52Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:12pm

golfer727272 said: "How long is Middler booked until -Thanksgiving????

"

Who is Middler?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

smidge
#53Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:23pm

Also eagerly anticipating reports from tonight.  When people asked me for a show recommendation, I suggested seeing this production with Donna.  The seats you can get with a discount are really great so, to me, it's a no brainer for people who don't want to spend hundreds. 

theminutepast
#54Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:36pm

Intermission now. Donna Murphy is doing a fine job, if a little lacking in star power and overpowered by her very funny costars. She received boisterous and extended entrance applause but did fumble and have to repeat a few words (threshold and Cornelius) and struggled to open the umbrella during "Sunday Clothes." She definitely seemed more comfortable as the act went on. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#55Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:03pm

theminutepast said: "Intermission now. Donna Murphy is doing a fine job, if a little lacking in star power and overpowered by her very funny costars. She received boisterous and extended entrance applause but did fumble and have to repeat a few words (threshold and Cornelius) and struggled to open the umbrella during "Sunday Clothes." She definitely seemed more comfortable as the act went on. 

"a friend txted me and said she's a bit tentative and overshadowed by her costars but in time she'll command center stage

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/13/17 at 09:03 PM

Trish2
#56Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:16pm

I think it's safe to say any performer would be nervous on their first night of a hit production that's already running. Let alone the star they're going on for had just won a TONY for the role. Cut her a little slack.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#57Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:18pm

Give Donna Murphy a break.  It was her first performance. She will settle in and get better as time goes by. I head that Bette didn't even know all of her lines on her first performance.

to be fair...Bette Midler, Tony Award and all was also  supported by her excellent costars and made to look good  by her costars; In my opinion Bette's  costars  overshadowed Bette Midler.  .  What carries Bette is the excitement  of having a real star as in  Bette doing Dolly.

Did she deserve her Tony Award?  Was she really the best musical actress? No but she was the best Bette Midler that 200 bucks can buy.  And that in itself is exciting.  So  good to have her back where she belongs. On Broadway where she did Fiddler on the roof a long time ago. So hype, excitement, chutzpah and superstardom got Bette her Tony

Patti Lupone and Christene Ebersole are doing better acting jobs and in my opinion and much more impressive.. They are just not Bette who is a superstar.  And that is exciting in itself..

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#58Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:23pm

goldenboy said: " 

Give Donna Murphy a break.  It was her first performance. She will settle in and get better as time goes by. I head that Bette didn't even know all of her lines on her first performance.

to be fair...Bette Midler, Tony Award and all was also  supported by her excellent costars and made to look good  by her costars; In my opinion Bette's  costars  overshadowed Bette Midler.  .  What carries Bette is the excitement  of having a real star as in  Bette doing Dolly.

Did she deserve her Tony Award?  Was she really the best musical actress? No but she was the best Bette Midler that 200 bucks can buy.  And that in itself is exciting.  So  good to have her back where she belongs. On Broadway where she did Fiddler on the roof a long time ago. So hype, excitement, chutzpah and superstardom got Bette her Tony

Patti Lupone and Christene Ebersole are doing better acting jobs and in my opinion and much more impressive.. They are just not Bette who is a superstar.  And that is exciting in itself..

trish2 said:  Cut her a little slack.

"just sharing what my friend said...I'm a Donna fan and seeing her next month on 7/11 and by then 17 performances under her corset...she'll be great...I know it! So chill!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 6/13/17 at 09:23 PM

iwuldwf
#59Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:55pm

I agree she was tentative in the first act, but like others have said, it's her first show. And I thought act two was amazing - already more confident, and she NAILED the title number. 

Callum_brown1
#60Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:00pm

Was there anyone there expecting to see Bette?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#61Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:01pm

So as others have said, she was a little tentative in Act 1, but I think she was absolutely fantastic in Act 2 (with a minor mistake with the cane at the end of So Long, Dearie).  That being said, as much as I really enjoyed her (and believe that if she had opened the production, she would have gotten positive reviews), it did make me realize how much Bette does with the role.  There was a certain electricity missing.  That's not to say that Donna won't find it too, but I do think she's playing the role in a more standard way.  I really enjoyed her performance, but it did make me realize how much Bette really DID deserve the Tony for what she's doing.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 10:01 PM

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#62Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:02pm

Did she wear the same color wig as Bette or was it different?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#63Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:03pm

Looked the same to me.  She looked EERLIY like Bernadette Peters in Act I because of the curly red wig under the hat.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#64Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:04pm

Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

iwuldwf
#65Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:05pm

Callum_brown1 said: "Was there anyone there expecting to see Bette?"

Yup! I heard a few different reactions, from mild confusion to outrage. A group near me tried to demand a refund, which is absurd. But Donna got a really great reception throughout the show.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#66Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:08pm

I don't understand how anybody could have purchased tickets to Dolly! with Donna in it and not know Bette wouldn't be there. The production has been extraordinarily up-front and transparent about her schedule appearances. Some people...

ameleigh
#67Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:14pm

I grabbed a Dolly ticket at 6pm from the box office. I was SO THRILLED to FINALLY get to see the show!! I'll eventually go back so I can see Bette, but I knew tonight was Donna's debut, and I was excited to see it. 

Like I said I haven't seen Bette yet, so I can't compare the two.

Everyone in the audience went nuts when she came on to the stage. The applause lasted quite a while. 

Donna was a fantastic Dolly!! I would imagine she is a bit more timid than how Bette plays the role, but it was also her first performance. Her comedic timing was excellent, and I'm fairly certain she even did some improv a few times. I throughly enjoyed her performance and was sad when it was over. She messed up a word or two here or there, but covered it well. During "So Long Dearie," she accidentally dropped the cane off of the stage and into the audience, a guy handed it back up to her and she cracked a joke. The audience was hysterically laughing. She got a fairly lengthy standing ovation during "Hello Dolly." All in all, I absolutely loved the show. The dance numbers and the incredible vocals and talent of this cast are not to be missed!! 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#68Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:15pm

So Murphy has her own Playbill?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#69Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:15pm

A photo of her. She looks beautiful! :)

https://twitter.com/JustinSacramone/status/874810131854307330

A video of her first bows

https://twitter.com/ssabinamamedova/status/874808114272493568

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 10:15 PM

ameleigh
#70Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:17pm

Callum_brown1 said: "Was there anyone there expecting to see Bette?

"

A LOT of people. A lady next to me in line when we were waiting to enter the theatre heard me say that Donna was performing and not Bette, and she literally started crying in line. Quite a few other people were shocked as well. Also, A LOT of people have grabbed on to the rumor that someone started about Bette leaving.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#71Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:20pm

It's all over Telecharge when Bette is out. Is there also a sign in the box office at the Shubert, too?? Can't imagine the theater caved and gave out refunds.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ameleigh
#72Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:21pm

ACL2006 said: "So Murphy has her own Playbill?

"

She sure does

ameleigh
#73Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:25pm

ACL2006 said: "Curious if the show ended up selling out tonight & if they sold SRO.

"

I believe it was sold out. I went to the box office at 6pm, all the SRO tickets were gone. I got a side orchestra seat for $47 and it was awesome!

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#74Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:25pm

Wig looked similar if a touch darker. Her red dress also looked slightly different from Bette's, at least in the bodice.

To me, Bette Midler is a supernova rock star divine being. The only other time I've seen an audience react that way to someone was at at Beyoncé concert. She's funny and fabulous in the role because Bette Midler is funny, fabulous, and a total pro. 

Does Donna Murphy have that same insanely intoxicating presence? No. But she is a star in her own right. I thought she created a characterization of Dolly all her own and nailed it. She was funny, pushy, sexy, and she sounded absolutely thrilling. 

It was also a great reminder that while Bette Midler delivers a "Y'know who I saw?" performance, this entire production is a delight top to bottom. The principals have only gotten stronger, the dancers are still stunning, and those sets and costumes are a feast. 

I had a simply wonderful evening in the theater with both actresses. If Murphy's this strong out of the gate, only more good can come with time. And I'm glad she's back where she belongs. 

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Videos