pixeltracker

Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre- Page 3

Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#50Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 1:13pm

Sounds nice. I would assume Bean replaces Alysha Umphress from the Barrington Stage tryout.

The Nederlander box office opening has also been pushed back to February 21. Also, that is now three different shows beginning previews on March 29 (also How I Learned to Drive and Macbeth).

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/12/22 at 01:13 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#51Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 1:22pm

Nothing wrong with multiple shows starting previews the same night. And I'm not surprised that they have moved the dates...we may see that for other shows, too. It'll make the end of April challenging for critics, but that's always the case.

The only problem is if a show has to shut down for COVID purposes, or if a lead actor must miss preview/opening/press performances. It will make moving the dates nearly impossible if they want to open this season. (Unless the League makes special arrangements or extends the season by 1-2 weeks)

BCfitasafiddle
#52Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 1:23pm

Wow! This is a fabulous cast of actors. 

I didn't see it out of town.. how was Alsyha Umphress in the part? Is Shoshana just more of a name..?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#53Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 1:23pm

...and if I could change the thread title now, I would. But alas.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#54Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 1:26pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "how was Alsyha Umphress in the part? Is Shoshana just more of a name..?"

Neither actress (or anyone else in this cast) means a thing at the box office when you have Billy Crystal as the star. So perhaps it was a creative decision, or an availability issue.

Alexander Lamar
Alexander Lamar
#56Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 3:28pm

Wow. I really need the a discount code for this now. And Shoshana is Jason’s muse at the moment. I’m sure Alysha was great but I wouldn’t be surprised if he just asked her to take on the role. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#57Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 3:42pm

Seeing Shoshana and throw in Billy Crystal? I'm sold. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#58Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 3:45pm

I don’t know if anyone saw this… I updated my most recent post to say the box office opening has also been pushed back to 2/21.

Oh look, a bibu!

CPannullo
#59Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 4:42pm

Anyone know what kind of role Shoshona is playing? Is it more featured or leading?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#60Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 5:35pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "...and if I could change the thread title now, I would. But alas."

Why can’t you change the thread title? Don’t you just edit the subject line in the original post to do that?

ren598
#61Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 5:58pm

CPannullo said: "Anyone know what kind of role Shoshona is playing? Is it more featured or leading?"

I saw it at Barrington Stage and it’s definitely a featured role.  She’ll be playing Billy Crystal’s daughter.  I do feel bad for Alysha Umphress that she won’t get the chance to transfer to Broadway with the rest of the cast.  I thought she was perfectly fine in the role.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#62Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:15pm

Shoshana back on Broadway where she belongs! Yes yes yes. 

VintageSnarker
#63Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/12/22 at 6:50pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Wow! This is a fabulous cast of actors.

I didn't see it out of town.. how was Alsyha Umphress in the part? Is Shoshana just more of a name..?
"

Zero interest in this at the moment even with Shoshana. But hopefully she'll do some concerts in NY during the run if it's not a demanding part. 

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#64Official: Billy Crystal's MR. SATURDAY NIGHT musical to begin Broadway previews March 1, 2022 at the Nederlander Theatre
Posted: 1/13/22 at 12:55am

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "I cannot really understand who the audience for this show will be, considering what a bomb the film was. Why would anyone want to pay six times the amount of a movie ticket to see a live version of a movie that no one went to see when it came out sooo long ago?..."

Perhaps the folks won't remember the quality, but only the name: his.

I missed him live in 700 Sundays (which I loved on HBO), so I'm game. Always loved him as Oscar host. He made a dull telecast entertaining, especially his opening numbers.

Just wish it was a different theater, Nederlander seats are  uncomfortable re: leg room, meaning none. Couldn't get through Lehman without an aisle.

Videos