pixeltracker

Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl- Page 3

Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl

Dollypop
#50Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:27am

TaffyDavenport said: "For goodness' sake, Dollypop isn't serious. He says ludicrous things to get a rise out of people, and some just can't resist taking the bait."

Dollypop is serious here. At the time Dorothy Kilgallen wrote about the lip syncing in her Jornal American column.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

pmensky
#51Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 1:24am

Dollypop said: "TaffyDavenport said: "For goodness' sake, Dollypop isn't serious. He says ludicrous things to get a rise out of people, and some just can't resist taking the bait."

Dollypop is serious here. At the time Dorothy Kilgallen wrote about the lip syncing in her Jornal American column.

"

Using Dorothy Kilgallen’s column to prove something to be factual is like using the Weekly World News to prove politicians are lizard people. It was a trashy gossip column written by a pill addicted, alcoholic adulteress who would report anything some drunk hunched over a bar would mumble. She was hated by everyone in show business and died suspiciously, presumed to be bumped off, at 52. I have colleagues who knew her (and her sister) both personally and professionally, and it would be inappropriate to use the words they used to describe her in this forum. 

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#52Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:07am

How many times has been Beanie bean out at this point? Does anyone have a count?

It seems like an awful lot. I can’t help but think that there’s a lack of respect for the audience, many of whom adore her and specifically went out of their way to see her. It takes so much planning and sacrifice of time and money to get to the theater. 

It just feels like something sacred has been lost. And I say that as one who could never handle eight shows a week as a musical comedy lead - but I have the self-insight to know that.

Is it me, or is it also becoming a trend for performers’ absences to be mentioned at the eleventh hour when it’s clear they knew damn well they’d be out long before the announcement? This one just upended my own Saturday matinee plans re: Birthday Candles.

It seems to me this wasn’t happening with such regularity as recently as 10 or 15 years ago on Broadway. What changed?

I feel sorry for the poor box office personnel who inevitably bear the ire of disgruntled audiences who show up to find the star is out so routinely at their respective theaters. It can’t be pleasant.

By the way, for a hilarious account of the pain of working an NY theater box office, read Isaac Oliver’s Intimacy Idiot. It’s such a pleasure.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

fbueller
#53Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 3:05am

Peter C Yeager said: "Julie plays Fanny in the matinee tomorrow (May 28)."

Beanie’s record is starting to match Fantasia during her run at ‘the The Color Purple’.

bk
#54Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 3:15am

There's something afoot - this is not normal this early in the run. If it's too hard for her she should ask to get out of her contract and leave. What she's doing is completely unprofessional at this point. Or so it seems.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#55Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 3:58am

Although it's wroth asking if it would still be taxing for others. It's one of the most vocally demanding roles, ever. Funny Girl may not be sung-through, but I'd put the challenges up there with those of Evita and Phantom. I can't imagine anyone who isn't Barbara (in her twenties) being able to sing that score night after night, matinees twice weekly. 

LarryD2
#56Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 5:29am

I imagine it will be announced soon that Benko doing all Wednesday and Saturday matinees going forward.

felixleiter
#57Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 8:08am

Earlier this week I connected with some people associated with this show and got the scoop.  None of it is surprising, but I thought I would confirm  and clear up some of the speculation.

The role IS indeed fatiguing for Beanie, hence her absences this previous weekend-That had nothing to do with her being ill at all.   The team is preparing for Beanie only appearing in 6 shows a week with Benko appearing when the performance schedule calls for a 2 show day.

As people mentioned before, there are implications to this aside from just putting in an insert into the playbill.   Benko's contract will be adjusted and of course her reps will push for some sort of acknowledgment of her assuming the role, even in this limited fashion.  Also, remember that this also is somewhat of an admission from the production that Beanie has, to put it delicately, some limitations, and that along with all the chatter, the reviews, the Tony snub, etc, isn't contributing to the best situation backstage.  It's not a viper pit by any means, it's more just an overall sad situation for all involved, especially since, by all accounts, Beanie is a lovely person and very enjoyable to work with.

There was an expectation that there would be a whole lot more excitement around this revival and that the production team would be trotting out their star for a myriad of press avails.  A lot of that is up in the air right now and some re-shuffling of some of those booked appearances and how much of Beanie they will actually show is still, as of this week, being re-thought.   A very tough situation when your logo is a caricature of that star.

Nevertheless, from what the company has been told-the box office numbers are still good and the production as a whole is fairly secure in their employment at least into the fall.  

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#58Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 8:20am

Felixleiter's is best explanation, and of course, there's a reason for it: it's apparently the truth.

Whenever we get into discussions about the vocal demands, we're in a circular conversation about how this revival's interpretation -- the comedy central, legendary vocals second -- is designed to have a different focus. But the fact remains, those 12 songs, or parts of songs, are staring any star in the face at every performance. Whether the audience expectation is met or not, the songs have to be sung. And for an unseasoned musical comedy actor, carrying 8 shows is a challenge. It's no disparagement to note that Minnie Fay cannot prepare a singing actor for Fanny Brice. That's the reality. A Marilyn Michaels or Mimi Hines could've done this, but this production wasn't looking for powerhouse singing.

Bottom line here, as noted above: this show is a modest hit so far, always raking in 1.3 million. The absences haven't diminished box office, though advance sales may be an open question. Once the show establishes the covered matinees at the point of sale, audiences can pick which performance, and the run can continue without negative chatter. One would hope they would announce this sooner rather than later. It might actually boost sales if people can buy seats in advance and know who will play the role. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/28/22 at 08:20 AM

felixleiter
#59Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 9:32am

Also-I failed to mention that the possibility of better advance sales for the Benko performances once announced is also part of the calculus regarding the delicacy with which the powers that be are figuring out how to handle the fragility of the situation in the star dressing room. 

I think we need to remember on this board, regarding this and other things, that as disappointed as we are as an audience (and in some cases, including mine- industry professionals),  artists also have the capability to  be equally and sometimes exceedingly disappointed when an audience doesn't embrace what they are doing.  The pre-opening narrative about Beanie being in love with this role, and always wanting to play it is based in absolute truth (although embellished a bit for mass consumption and easy packaging) and with that comes incredible feelings of failure on her part for the vehicle of this  production having a major flat tire in it's titular star. 

Auggie27 said: "Felixleiter's is best explanation, and of course, there's a reason for it: it's apparently the truth.

Whenever we get into discussions about the vocal demands, we're in a circular conversation about how this revival's interpretation -- the comedy central, legendary vocals second -- is designed to have a different focus. But the fact remains, those 12 songs, or parts of songs, are staring any star in the face at every performance. Whether the audience expectation is met or not, the songs have to be sung. And for an unseasoned musical comedy actor, carrying 8 shows is a challenge. It's no disparagement to note that Minnie Fay cannot prepare a singing actor for Fanny Brice. That's the reality. A Marilyn Michaels or Mimi Hines could've done this, but this production wasn't looking for powerhouse singing.

Bottom line here, as noted above: this show is a modest hit so far, always raking in 1.3 million. The absences haven't diminished box office, though advance sales may be an open question. Once the show establishes the covered matinees at the point of sale, audiences can pick which performance, and the run can continue without negative chatter. One would hope they would announce this sooner rather than later. It might actually boost sales if people can buy seats in advance and know who will play the role.
"

bryan2
#60Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 10:04am

I am so glad for Julie who is an amazing singer and actress, but for the people who want to see Beanie it is a huge disappointment ,also people who do not know theater that well go in and see the understudy slip and think they are getting an inferior performance, when in reality in this case it is far superior. Beanie is lucky she is getting such a pass from the press, which i do not understand. Remember when Bernadette was missing so many "previews" of Gypsy they said they should put her face on a milk carton for missing children. I don't know who Beanie knows in the press but to get a pass for missing so many performances., it seems someone ! 

felixleiter
#61Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 10:28am

I'm as disappointed as anyone in Beanie's performance.  And as has been talked about-There IS truth that the "casting" process behind this revival is NOT at all what the media team has made it out to be and the reasons behind it that everyone has speculated about are a LOT closer to reality than the Beanie fans will have you believe.  

Having said all that-I don't think that her attendance thus far has risen to "scandal" level yet.  Her first extended absence was part of the schedule from early on in the creative process.   The show has been running for nigh on 2 months and she is in single digits I believe in terms of absences (aside from the wedding weekend).   Look around Broadway (ahem... MJ), this happens a lot, especially for roles like this.

bryan2 said: "I am so glad for Julie who is an amazing singer and actress, but for the people who want to see Beanie it is a huge disappointment ,also people who do not know theater that well go in and see the understudy slip and think they are getting an inferior performance, when in reality in this case it is far superior. Beanie is lucky she is getting such a pass from the press, which i do not understand. Remember when Bernadette was missing so many "previews" of Gypsy they said they should put her face on a milk carton for missing children. I don't know who Beanie knows in the press but to get a pass for missing so many performances., it seems someone !"

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#62Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 11:22am

"I'm as disappointed as anyone in Beanie's performance.  And as has been talked about-There IS truth that the "casting" process behind this revival is NOT at all what the media team has made it out to be and the reasons behind it that everyone has speculated about are a LOT closer to reality than the Beanie fans will have you believe."

Thank you. This is quite a whiff of breaking news about the production's origin story. So many people have been scolded and shamed for daring to wonder how this casting happened without a roster of also-rans in the mix. It didn't make them insensitive or bad people; it made them curious about the first revival in 60 years. I've been here since '03: curiosity and speculation have always informed this board.

At this point, Funny Girl is up and running, making decent and consistent box office by any yardstick, and now the title role will be divided. In some ways, the truth sets everyone free. The production's decision to give both leading ladies performances gives the audience options, and eventually halts anxiety about someone showing up. Consumers can choose the actor in the role, and decide what skill set serves their expectations. Maybe it's even an ultimate win-win. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#63Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 11:43am

Is Beanie's attendance really that bad? I feel like in the covid era great attendance is very rare. Aaron Tveit had great attendance. Katrina Lenk has great attendance. Hugh Jackman (so far) has great attendance. But many shows do not. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#64Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 11:46am

poisonivy2 said: "Is Beanie's attendance really that bad? I feel like in the covid era great attendance is very rare. Aaron Tveit had great attendance. Katrina Lenk has great attendance. Hugh Jackman (so far) has great attendance. But many shows do not."

Yes.  It really is.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Grief
#65Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:05pm

I believe this is Julie's 10th performance since April 28.

Dollypop
#66Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:43pm

I saw HELLO, DOLLY! 27 times while Beanie was in it and  she was in every one.  Granted, Minnie Fay is a much smaller role but she was there. (I also noticed a significant weight loss for her during the time she was in the show)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#67Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:53pm

poisonivy2 said: "Is Beanie's attendance really that bad? I feel like in the covid era great attendance is very rare. Aaron Tveit had great attendance. Katrina Lenk has great attendance. Hugh Jackman (so far) has great attendance. But many shows do not."

Her attendance (or lack thereof) would not be a problem if it was COVID related, but it, clearly, is not COVID related. So to answer your question, yes - her attendance is really that bad and is problematic.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#68Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:02pm

I have seen both Beanie Feldstein and Julie Benko as Fanny Brice.

For me personally, Beanie is indeed Funny and Charming - Funnier than Julie Benko (caught her matinee show May 1) a trained singer with a stronger and beautiful voice that's able to handle the constraints of the score far more than Beanie! Julie's Fanny is very entertaining and her powerful ''DROMP'' and ''The Music That Makes Me Dance'' - ''Finale'' does not compare to Beanie's efforts. Benko's physicality to Brice is uncanny but the comedic punches don't  come so naturally for her as they do for Beanie. Julie's a special talent though...two totally different performances but I liked Beanie despite having the weaker voice a somewhat pretty sound but nasally. I laughed more during Beanie's performance especially ''His Love Makes Me Beautiful'', ''You Are Woman, I am Man'' and ''Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat'' and also enjoyed the show more from the front row - center mezzanine than left side orchestra row M! Ramin is very good (his couch bit - hysterical and what a voice) but he and Beanie have no chemistry whatsoever. Jared Grimes has grown more in the role and shines in every scene and his tap dancing is the highlight of the show! Show had a technical glitch for around 10 minutes prior to ''His Love Makes Me Beautiful'' but show resumed with laughter, applause and without losing a beat. 

Also, crowd was ecstatic for Beanie! Beanie is a ''Funny Girl'' and felt it works with her my husband said exiting the show. We can't compare her to Streisand - I let Beanie take me on her journey as Fanny. 

That seems to be the general consensus from the audience overheard exiting the August Wilson this past Thursday night.

Beanie is not your traditional Fanny Brice and is she really right for the role? Many will say, she's just not Fanny Brice. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 5/29/22 at 02:02 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#69Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:15pm

Robbie2 said: "Also, crowd was ecstatic for Beanie! Beanie is a ''Funny Girl'' and it works with her my husband said exiting the show. We can't compare her to Streisand - I let Beanie take me on her journey as Fanny."

I see this argument a lot - that we can't compare her to Streisand. I know that I, and I think it's the same case for many others on here, don't have a problem with the fact that she is not Streisand. And I don't think the disappointment we feel from Feldstein's performance comes from the fact that she is different than Streisand. The disappointment comes from the nasally voice that just does not work for these big songs. I'm sorry, but I, personally, don't want to hear these big powerhouse songs sung by a weak voice, and as a result, I did not enjoy her performance (or really anything about the production, for that matter).

I will say that I don't think all the blame rests with Feldstein. I also blame Michael Mayer who, ultimately, lead a production of a classic show that looked and felt cheap and just "off" in every way to me. My disappointment upon walking out of the August Wilson a couple weeks ago was akin to the disappointment I felt when walking out of the most recent revival of CAROUSEL - both of them were ill-conceived and poorly directed productions that just missed the mark (although, at least CAROUSEL had a more competent cast).

Anyways, I guess my point is that others are, obviously, allowed to have different opinions on Feldstein and the production, but to say the reason others do not like Feldstein is because they are comparing her to Streisand is just not 100% accurate. I disliked her Fanny for many reasons, but it had nothing to do with Streisand. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

He replied
#70Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:37pm

Agreed. I didn’t expect a streisand clone. I expected a star performance. This is not a star performance. Beanie is thelma ritter. Not doris day. That’s the fact. In the right role: sublime. This is not that role. It isn’t about appearance. It’s about star quality. That extra that rises above the competent. That’s all. Broadway is about best. That’s the fact. Benko isn’t box office. She’s better. An “at least she’s …”

They’ll replace Beanie with a name. Or close. 

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 02:37 PM

BdwyFan
#71Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 3:46pm

At the matinee.  Julie is on fire. Standing ovation at end of act one !

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#72Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 4:42pm

Safe to say that Benko has grown in the role, too, at performance number eleven. Again, good for the audience, good for her, ultimately good for the show. 

Someone elsewhere blamed Feldstein’s 4 performance contractual out in April for this opportunity to compare takes on the role. Not really  fair or accurate. If last weekend’s apparent vocal rest was inevitable - perhaps even sooner with 4 more completed performances - the April out is irrelevant. But in the glass half full sense; if she can successfully negotiate the role’s demands 6 times a week, no two show days, maybe Feldstein can relax, settle in, and enjoy the run. And continue to grow. This seeming bump in the road may end up a happy (enough) ending for everyone. 

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 04:42 PM

Penna2
#73Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 6:03pm

Robbie2 said: "I have seen both Beanie Feldstein and Julie Benko as Fanny Brice.

Question: How was the chemistry between Julie and Ramin? My take...and the take of most of the critics was there was little if none between him and Beanie. The show for me was always about the balance of the romance and Fanny's obsession with Nicky, as much as her being the Greatest Star. The fact that this element, although developed here, is still weakly written, so the chemistry between the leads is particularly important. 

Safe to say that Benko has grown in the role, too, at performance number eleven. Again, good for the audience, good for her, ultimately good for the show.

Further to my comment above - her first performances were with Ramin's understudy, so I really am curious as to how working with him has helped to improve her performance. She gave him a special thank you after her 2nd weekend performance. 

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 06:03 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#74Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
Posted: 5/28/22 at 7:08pm

Auggie27 said: " It didn't make them insensitive or bad people; it made them curious about the first revival in 60 years. I've been here since '03: curiosity and speculation have always informed this board."

There's been a LOT of insensitivity, and right below we have someone snidely saying she's Thelma Ritter not Doris Day (and that post was well-received; look at the upvotes). Yes, there are people who are just curious and are trying to understand the situation. There are also people saying some fairly mean things. It isn't one or the other. It's both. 

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 07:08 PM

Videos