INTO THE WOODS Previews

akhoya87
#50INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/28/22 at 11:51pm

Sara Bareilles - as consistent and as wonderful as ever.

Brian d'Arcy James - better than NPH, I think.  Not as comedic, but has an earnestness and emotional resonance that NPH lacked.

Patina Miller - as someone mentioned above, more comedic than Heather Headley.  Asking me to pick between the two is asking me to pick between God and Jesus.

Phillipa Soo - strong performance, although I think I liked Denee's delivery a bit better.  That said, first preview, so too early to tell.

Joshua Henry - so I saw Jason Forbach (who was terrific) at Encores, so I can't compare to Jordan Donica.  I think Josh's singing was better, although Jason might have the edge on comedic performance/slickness.

Cole Thompson - I think he's improved as Jack.  Shows a greater range of emotion than the City Center production.

David Patrick Kelly, Julia Lester, Annie Golden, Ta'nika Gibson, Brooke Ishibashi, David Turner - sorry to lump these fine folks into one listing, but all were as good as their City Center performance.

Aymee Garcia - I think I liked her singing better, but I miss Ann Harada's comedic timing.  Aymee was good, don't get me wrong, but Ann brought a certain zing.

Nancy Opel - better than Lauren Mitchell as Cinderella's stepmother.

Albert Guerzon - I honestly can't remember Cinderella's father from the City Center's production, but he was solid.

Kennedy Kanagawa - MILKY WHITE!  He's somehow gotten BETTER at this role.  The expressiveness.  Even when he's playing a giant's foot - he commits fully to the role.  

Alysia Velez - delivered a performance as good as Shereen Pimentel's.  Beautiful voice.

Sound - they're still figuring things out.  Mostly missed marks - I think the audience missed about 2% of the dialogue.

Orchestra - as good as ever.

Set - surprised they didn't go for a refresh/update.  As threadbare as the City Center production.

Costumes - I think Patina has a slightly better costume than Heather's, at the end of Act I?  Cinderella's dress also looks better, but neither these costumes nor the City Center costumes (which were almost identical save for a few characters) were memorable.

Updated On: 6/29/22 at 11:51 PM

GoodThingGoing3
#51INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/28/22 at 11:53pm

I was there tonight and thought that it was excellent overall. I loved this production at Encores, and felt that, overall, tonight was a step up from what I saw in May! A few notes on some of the new cast members:

First thing first, Brian D'arcy James was the absolute highlight of the evening. I have always been a big fan of BDJ, and his Baker was just perfection. It's almost as if the role was written for him. He was SO funny in Act One and deeply moving in Act Two. This is the role that he deserves and audiences are beyond lucky that they will get to see this performance.

Philippa Soo was excellent. Her acting was warm and authentic, and her voice was beautiful. No notes!

Patina Miller was great and, though not quite as intense as Headley during Last Midnight, really did a nice job throughout. Her Act Two Witch was particularly good, and she commanded the stage every time she was there.

Joshua Henry seemed to be having the time of his life and I really enjoyed his performance. His voice is just so rich and powerful, and his comedic chops were right on. Made me wish Rapunzel's Prince had a bigger role!

All the cast from City Center continued their excellent performances, with a special shout out to Julia Lester and Kennedy Kanagawa. 

Quick aside...I agree with WickedRocks! Audience really wanted to cheer at every second, and there were some serious moments that were disrupted from some wooing. It's the first preview, and people were having fun, so it's fine, but a little much at times!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/28/22 at 11:58pm

GoodThingGoing3 said: 

"First thing first, Brian D'arcy James was the absolute highlight of the evening. I have always been a big fan of BDJ, and his Baker was just perfection. It's almost as if the role was written for him. He was SO funny in Act One and deeply moving in Act Two. This is the role that he deserves and audiences are beyond lucky that they will get to see this performance.

God, that makes me happy to read <3 <3 <3

Plexsis
#53INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 12:24am

I’m so excited to see this! Here’s hoping they have already scheduled time for the studio for the cast recording and all contracts and what not have been worked out already.  (By gum, at least one of the revivals I see this year needs to be recorded, especially since it seems like it’s past time for the other ones)

Jordan Catalano
#54INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 12:28am

^As of now there is no cast recording being planned 

Plexsis
#55INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 12:34am

Jordan Catalano said: "^As of now there is no cast recording being planned"

I didn’t think so, trying not to get my hopes up for this one 

Jordan Catalano
#56INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 12:42am

I keep asking, though!!

Broadway61004
#57INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 10:52am

Jordan Catalano said: "Yeah, no more community chorus. Thank God."

Not to get off topic, but I was thinking about that the other day. While I presume there was never any discussion about including them, would Equity have even allowed it if they wanted to? I'm presuming all (or at least most) of them were non-eq, so I could see them making an exception given they never actually go onstage, but could also see them saying "no, anyone performing as part of the Broadway show has to be union".

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#58INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 11:13am

akhoya87 said: "Nancy Opel - I think I liked her singing better, but I miss Ann Harada's comedic timing. Nancy was good, don't get me wrong, but Ann brought a certain zing."

Is Nancy understudying Jack's Mother? She was announced as playing Cinderella's Stepmother (which Lauren Mitchell played –– not greatly –– at City Center).

akhoya87
#59INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 11:18am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "akhoya87 said: "Nancy Opel - I think I liked her singing better, but I miss Ann Harada's comedic timing. Nancy was good, don't get me wrong, but Ann brought a certain zing."

Is Nancy understudying Jack's Mother? She was announced as playing Cinderella's Stepmother (which Lauren Mitchell played –– not greatly –– at City Center).
"

Sorry, that was my bad.  I meant Aymee Garcia.  It was late, and I was tired.  I actually liked Nancy Opel better than Lauren Mitchell, I think.  Mostly for comedic reasons; Lauren came across as more of an uptight and stiff step-mother, whereas Nancy was funnier, I think.  I'll change my OP. 

Updated On: 6/29/22 at 11:18 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#60INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 11:25am

akhoya87 said: "Sorry, that was my bad. I meant Aymee Garcia. It was late, and I was tired. I actually liked Nancy Opel better than Lauren Mitchell, I think. Mostly for comedic reasons; Lauren came across as more of an uptight and stiff step-mother, whereas Nancy was funnier, I think. I'll change my OP."

Fun! (Tho now this has me thinking that maybe Nancy Opel would be a good Jack's Ma. Either way, I'm sure she's slaying as the Stepmother)

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#61INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 11:41am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "akhoya87 said: "Sorry, that was my bad. I meant Aymee Garcia. It was late, and I was tired. I actually liked Nancy Opel better than Lauren Mitchell, I think. Mostly for comedic reasons; Lauren came across as more of an uptight and stiff step-mother, whereas Nancy was funnier, I think. I'll change my OP."

Fun! (Tho now this has me thinking that maybe Nancy Opelwouldbe a good Jack's Ma. Either way, I'm sure she's slaying as the Stepmother)
"

Nancy Opel would slay in any role she was cast in! Batman? Slay! Shark in JAWS? SLAY!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#62INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 4:00pm

Broadway61004 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Yeah, no more community chorus. Thank God."

Not to get off topic, but I was thinking about that the other day. While I presume there was never any discussion about including them, would Equity have even allowed it if they wanted to? I'm presuming all (or at least most) of them were non-eq, so I could see them making an exception given they never actually go onstage, but could also see them saying "no, anyone performing as part of the Broadway show has to be union".
"

The community chorus had to do with the mission of City Center, a theatre for all people of NYC, so it is no surprise that the concept is not part of this production given that it was not fully realized.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#63INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 4:15pm

UWS10023 said: "The community chorus had to do with the mission of City Center, a theatre for all people of NYC, so it is no surprise that the concept is not part of this production given that it was not fully realized."

Is it the mission of City Center, or the mission of Lear who comes from the earthy crunchy Public Works world? Encores productions had never used Community Choruses before that I'm aware of.

Either way: the idea could have worked at Encores with better execution, but just ended up being unnecessary. I'm sure it's a stronger ending without.

HBBrock
#64INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 4:34pm

ENTERTAINMENT FUND PERFORMANCE AT 2PM TOMORROW (FORMERLY ACTORS FUND)

https://entertainmentcommunity.org/performances-and-events/woods-producers-picks

$75 ORCHESTRA SEATS and $50 MEZZANINE SEATS with no fees.

bstoll1
#65INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 5:19pm

Updated On: 6/29/22 at 05:19 PM

B212323
#66INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 5:24pm

The Music Man is charging 76 bucks for their lottery which is STANDING ROOM. At least here you get a seat. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#67INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 5:37pm

anyone having trouble ordering tickets on the actors fund site? I tried three times, but the tickets seem to be there still. im getting error messages weird

Updated On: 6/29/22 at 05:37 PM

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#68INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 6:23pm

HBBrock said: "ENTERTAINMENT FUND PERFORMANCE AT 2PM TOMORROW (FORMERLY ACTORS FUND)

https://entertainmentcommunity.org/performances-and-events/woods-producers-picks

"

That performance is on TKTS. It could t possibly be $25 mess and $37.50 orchestra there……could it?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#69INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 6:32pm

Matt Rogers said: "HBBrock said: "ENTERTAINMENT FUND PERFORMANCE AT 2PM TOMORROW (FORMERLY ACTORS FUND)

"

That performance is on TKTS. It could t possibly be $25 mess and $37.50 orchestra there……could it?
"

No, it's off the SeatGeek prices. $68-78 at TKTS.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#70INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 8:09pm

How does Phillipa do with the comedy so far? Denee was a lovely Cinderella, but she wasn't very funny.

UrNotAMachine
#71INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 8:38pm

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "How does Phillipa do with the comedy so far? Denee was a lovely Cinderella, but she wasn't very funny."

I thought she played it fairly straight, but I guess I never thought Cinderella was a very funny role anyway. Her voice is obviously beautiful, though.

Scott Stephen
#72INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 9:32pm

I thought Phillipa was hilarious when she needed to be, particularly in Act 1, but soft and serious at moments as well. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#73INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 10:41pm

INTO THE WOODS PreviewsINTO THE WOODS PreviewsINTO THE WOODS Previews

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#74INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 6/29/22 at 10:55pm

For the record, Brian d’arcy James turned 54 today. 

Videos