pixeltracker

Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!- Page 3

Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#50Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/1/23 at 9:58pm

I think they've been trying to get rid of the Frozen shirts from the Colorado run since before COVID. I also think the tables that get the show cups also have been selling the same ones for years.

I agree that I did find some stuff I liked, I wasn't impressed with much of the merchandise. I did a 2nd walk through at 4 and still found it too crowded. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#51Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/1/23 at 10:19pm

Listener said: "thedrybandit said: "The ATPAM table somehow had more Phantom stuff than the Phantom table did. Tons of playbills, brochures, masks from a painting competition a few years back, tons of costumes pieces, hats, shoes, and even two really special pairs of shoes, a Carlotta pair worn by Judy Kaye, and a pair worn in act two by Sarah Brightman. Those went for $550 and $750 respectively I believe."

Thank you so much for this rundown! I just saw a tiktok video showing some of the costumes and things. They had those old Carlton Cards Phantom ornaments! Were they all signed? I wonder how much they were...

I hope - perhaps foolishly - that there's some Phantom stuff still waiting for next year and that this isn't the end. Hard to have missed the Flea this year as a big Phan Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
"

While it's true that there was a ton of stuff this year, there's never not going to be to be Phantom stuff. As the biggest example, there have to have been at least 20 MILLION Playbills printed, including 10s of thousands of different special event ones. There's no way there won't be some of those next year. Other things were not produced in such high numbers. But, there's always stuff that pops up from older years and it's 100% accentuated for Phantom by it being the longest-running show. 

The truth is that a lot of stuff will probably be cheaper next year when we're not in the immediate post-closing phase. 

Wayman_Wong
#52Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/1/23 at 10:56pm

If you couldn't make it to the Broadway Flea Market and wondered what was there, here's an extensive video someone posted of their visit, featuring the many tables and memorabilia and merchandise that were on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAJhSGZH8c

Updated On: 10/1/23 at 10:56 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#53Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/1/23 at 11:24pm

To be fair, there was alot of stuff from last year this year, because last year the flea market got rained out halfway through the event...

VintageSnarker
#54Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/1/23 at 11:31pm

scripps said: "VintageSnarker said: "What closed shows were represented at Creative Goods and Curtain Call? Anything from Funny Girl or KPOP?"

I stumbled upon the Creative Goods table when they were having a flash everything is $1 sale and picked up a KPOP fanny pack. I didn't see the show but the design is subtle enough and the fanny pack is well made with many pockets and it was a $1! There were also KPOP shirts and totes from what I could see. I asked if they had Funny Girl merch and a rep said that since it was currently on tour that they did not but likely will have it next year.
"

Thanks :) I'm a little sad I missed the KPOP merch. Maybe there will be stuff left over for next year. Doubtful, but I can always hope. 

Interesting to hear it was still crowded around 4pm.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#55Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/1/23 at 11:58pm

I agree with the person who said it felt like a meh year with a lot of outdated tables. Dear Evan Hansen had a table and a ton left at the end of the day (which got transferred to Dancers Over 40), I was hunting mostly for Bad Cinderella (barely anything, just a lipstick and bracelet that sold out before I even got there), and Parade (the signed name plaques were a bit overpriced in my opinion at curtain call, same with the display photos). I ended up with so much DEH stuff (arena stage windowcard...) and Spongebob (once again, random table to have but I do like the show!) and a bit of playbills, mostly from the jujamcyn table (they did a great job with selection this year!)

The curtain call table was a massive let down for me this year. It had too much Beetlejuice/Once on this Island/random shows for my taste, and the other "closed show" table in the alley was brilliant if it wasn't for the fact I didn't realize it was another curtain call until I ran over there after the huge letdown at curtain call and everything was very phantom centric. Drama Book Store had great stuff too, didn't pick anything up. I think I left with the least amount of stuff I ever have this year, but I'll hope that next year brings more good stuff from shows that closed last season.

As for crowds, I am never phased, but a fully grown adult man felt the need to shove me aside at 3 different tables this year even though I was there first (all curtain call style tables, and I know it was the same guy because I addressed him the third time). If you were that 40-50's y/o man pushing at young women who were there shopping before you who clearly are smaller than you, just know that I saw your behavior towards me and others and I hope you remember you were once young too and your impatience at your grown age is astonishing. 

Everybody else in the crowd was lovely though! and the staff too! High hopes for next year. Also, question (which I hope is appropriate), would all of today's purchases count as tax-deductible donations to BCEFA or not?

Updated On: 10/2/23 at 11:58 PM

Listener
#56Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 12:41am

While it's true that there was a ton of stuff this year, there's never not going to be to be Phantom stuff. As the biggest example, there have to have been at least 20 MILLION Playbills printed, including 10s of thousands of different special event ones. There's no way there won't be some of those next year. Other things were not produced in such high numbers. But, there's always stuff that pops up from older years and it's 100% accentuated for Phantom by it being the longest-running show.

The truth is that a lot of stuff will probably be cheaper next year when we're not in the immediate post-closing phase.
"

Yeah, but what if Playbills are not a priority for you?

I hope you're right and there are interesting items from the actual production next year but...I doubt they'd hold onto anything when they could just sell it now.

I am surprised name signs were there. Were those from dressing room doors or the cast list at front of house?

Tking0012
#57Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 9:59am

Do we have a TDF's trading list yet?

hearthemsing22
#58Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 11:06am

dearalanaaaa said: "I agree with the person who said it felt like a meh year with a lot of outdated tables. Dear Evan Hansen had a table and a ton left at the end of the day (which got transferred to Dancers Over 40), I was hunting mostly for Bad Cinderella (barely anything, just a lipstick and bracelet that sold out before I even got there), and Parade (the signed name plaques were a bit overpriced in my opinion at curtain call, same with the display photos). I ended up with so much DEH stuff (arena stage windowcard...) and Spongebob (once again, random table to have but I do like the show!) and a bit of playbills, mostly from the jujamcyn table (they did a great job with selection this year!)

The curtain call table was a massive let down for me this year. It had too much Beetlejuice/Once on this Island/random shows for my taste, and the other "closed show" table in the alley was brilliant if it wasn't for the fact I didn't realize it was another curtain call until I ran over there after the huge letdown at curtain call and everything was very phantom centric. Drama Book Store had great stuff too, didn't pick anything up. I think I left with the least amount of stuff I ever have this year, but I'll hope that next year brings more good stuff from shows that closed last season.

As for crowds, I am never phased, but a fully grown adult man felt the need to shove me aside at 3 different tables this year even though I was there first (all curtain call style tables, and I know it was the same guy because I addressed him the third time). If you were that 40-50's y/o man pushing at young women who were there shopping before you who clearly are smaller than you, just know that I saw your behavior towards me and others and I hope you remember you were once young too and your impatience at your grown age is astonishing.

Everybody else in the crowd was lovely though! and the staff too! High hopes for next year. Also, question (which I hope is appropriate), would all of today's purchases count as tax-deductible donations to BCEFA or not?
"

I accidentally-completely accidentally-stepped on someones foot, an elderly person, and they loudly said "OUCH", and then continued to talk about how people are stepping on their feet. Excuse me sir, do you think people are doing this on purpose?? Chill. 

PublicHorizons
#59Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 11:47am

Stuff from Kinky Boots Off-Broadway, tons of stuff from Trevor Off-Broadway (that stuff is gonna be at Flea forever)

Other surprising finds: stuff from Lehman Trilogy, The Ferryman, Sidney Brustein! 

Listener
#60Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 4:28pm

Tking0012 said: "Do we have a TDF's trading list yet?"

What does that stand for?

Also, northlandfan did you get my pm? We were chatting and then I didn't hear back anymore. Thanks :)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#61Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 6:11pm

PublicHorizons said: "Stuff from Kinky Boots Off-Broadway, tons of stuff from Trevor Off-Broadway (that stuff is gonna be at Flea forever)

Other surprising finds: stuff from Lehman Trilogy, The Ferryman, Sidney Brustein!
"

I feel it's all due to pricing. If all those Trevor items are priced at $1 each, I bet you they'll be able to clear off all the Trevor merch.

Jumpin_J
#62Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 6:40pm

Everybody else in the crowd was lovely though! and the staff too! High hopes for next year. Also, question (which I hope is appropriate), would all of today's purchases count as tax-deductible donations to BCEFA or not?"

You'd need to ask your accountant about it, but generally any amount over the retail value of the item would be deductible. IE An item bought for $110 that would cost $100, that $10 would be tax deductible, but you should ask a professional. 

Theater3232
#63Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/2/23 at 7:42pm

I usually take home bags and bags full of stuff, but this is the first time I left completely empty-handed.  There was only one table I saw that was selling massively discounted items later in the day, and of that, nothing appealed to me.  The vendors that I saw looked different from years past, in that they only had very limited merchandise for sale at relatively high prices, not tons of stuff from tons of different shows like in all prior years.  And the criss-cross scaffolding on West 44th, just east of 8th Ave, was highly annoying, and made it very hard to reach several tables, thanks to the annoying police barricades also in place.  You'd have to walk quite a bit down and backtrack to reach those tables, unless you were mobile enough to crawl under the scaffolding criss-cross, as several did.  Overall a very disappointing experience.

northlandfan
#64Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/5/23 at 5:55pm

Just got home from spending a week in New York City and was very successful at this year‘s flea market. Was surprised to see a whole box of the Phantom of the opera closing their programs in mint condition.(picked up 4 not realizing how heavy they were bringing them back home😂. These were gone within an hour of opening when I went back.

I also picked up a closing like playbill with the gold sticker at the same table.
Bought 2  Beetlejuice reopening pins going for very cheap. Also splurged on a phantom of the opera, closing night  ticket framed with a Phantom logo that I picked up at the JujamCyn  table at the end of the day after negotiating a better price. Obtain some Leopoldstadt opening night gifts from the back to the future table, which surprisingly didn’t have any autographed items😱.

Sweeney Todd table had signed sheet music and props, which I feel wereoutrageously priced. A towel at $400 and a shaving brush at $500 autographed by JG😱

Obtained multiple copies of into the Woods Tony voter program but couldn’t find the milky white box that I was hoping to obtain. Was wondering how many of these were available at the market?

Other items obtained were come from away lunch boxes I have never seen before. Curious if anyone knows if this was an opening night gift or sold at the theater. Picked up some beautiful noise signed playbills and opening night gifts which were reasonably priced. Still searching for a Hadestown opening night train whistle and Diana corgi. One table had Diana magnets at a buck each.Did anyone happen to find any opening night coins, such as from Anastasia, Parade or company? please let me know if anybody is interested in training for any doubles that they obtain that day at the market as I’m always interested in expanding my collection as well.

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 05:55 PM

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#65Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/5/23 at 6:59pm

northlandfan said: "Obtained multiple copies of into the Woods Tony voter program but couldn’t find the milky white box that I was hoping to obtain. Was wondering how many of these were available at the market?

was extremely lucky to get there about 9:30 while one of the union tables were setting up and bought a Milky White for about $60.  Only saw two others at other tables and they went very quickly for ALOT more......

"

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

northlandfan
#66Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/5/23 at 7:20pm

You were so lucky. It’s all about being at the right place at the right time. What else did you find that morning to add to your collection. I also picked up an autographed playbill from the Original revival of Into the woods with Sarah and Brian. Curious what the other milky whites we’re going for at the other tables – did you happen to notice?

teatime2
#67Broadway flea market 2023 collectors unite!!
Posted: 10/6/23 at 7:36pm

The8re phan said: "northlandfan said: "Obtained multiple copies of into the Woods Tony voter program but couldn’t find the milky white box that I was hoping to obtain. Was wondering how many of these were available at the market?

was extremely lucky to get there about 9:30 while one of the union tables were setting upand bought a Milky White for about $60. Only saw two others at other tables and they went very quickly for ALOT more......
"

I got there right around 10am and randomly ended up at a table that had two of them. I got one for 20 dollars and someone else quickly got the second. 

Videos