pixeltracker

Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???- Page 3

Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???

OhSoWicked
#50re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:01pm

"I love the harmonies in Seasons of Love

The Little Shop Urchins are great with the harmonies on the new cast CD "

Ditto to both of those. I also love the absolute last "No day but today" in the Rent finale, when the whole cast sings it. It's gorgeous.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#51re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:11pm

Raúl and Amy do this FABULOUS harmony during Johnny Can't Decide when they sing, "Can he settle down/and still not drown? Johnny can't deciiiiiiide" OMG, I have to rewind it every single time. I can't go without hearing it more than once! Also, in Finale from Les Mis, when Fantine and Eponine sing, "Take my hand, and lead me to salvation". GAH!

There are so many I agree with on this thread, but I just wanted to throw some new ones in there.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#52re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:16pm

ahh! so many!!!
...so i'll just name a few....

30/90- t...t...b
Epilogue- Les Miserables
What you own- Rent
Rent- Rent
Take me or leave me- Rent
Defying Gravity- Wicked
For Good- Wicked
Oklahoma- Oklahoma
A Heart full of love- Les Miserables
I wish I could go back to college- Avenue Q
Purpose- Avenue Q
TMM-TMM

And EVERY JRB song!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#53re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 9:33pm

I've always just loved the huge chorus harmonies suck as:
No One Mourns The Wicked (Finale Reprise)-GOOD NEWS! Good news....
All huge Les Misérables harmonies.
Thank Goodness-The last couple of lines.
I adore the urchins harmonies in Little Shop-but I prefer the original off-broadway cast recording.
The harmonies in Wonderful are really neat.
I just love the big chorus harmonies because sometimes they are just completely powerful and moving, and I have often been struck to tears by flawless harmonies.

Also, this is not a Broadway song, but does anyone else adore the ending of the church song Jubilate Deo? "WE REJOICE IN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!" They always do it at one of the churches in my town with a GIGANTIC choir. I've heard it three times and it's made my eyes water up completely all three times!

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#54re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 10:07pm

"Follow Your Heart"--Urinetown--great harmonies at the very end between Hunter Foster and Jennifer Laura Thompson. Also, "Fantasies Come True"-Avenue Q--Between Rod and Kate. Love that! I second the post about "If Mamma Were Married"--great harmonies, great song.

Bway=happy Profile Photo
Bway=happy
#55re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 11:57pm

One I love because I just performed it on Sunday

Poor Baby when all the wives are singing acapella
especially the last chord they all end on "GOLIATH!"
Clashy Clash then resolves....:::ahhhhhh::::

I played Sarah it was fantastico!

CJR
#56re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 12:06am

The (no longer used) split harmony during My Own Best Friend

Also, not from a musical, but off last years Carols for a Cure CD, I love the progression/harmony at the end of Sing Out, Jesus! It ALWAYS gives me chills

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#57re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 12:37am

top 3 EVER:

By My Side from GODSPELL
All of the nun music - THE SOUND OF MUSIC - it makes me cry
Overture del donna - NINE...amazing

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Mr. TN
#58re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 12:40am

I am a sucker for the modified linear progression at the end of MOTN and subsequently at the Finale of POTO. Then again I am a sucker for basic chords and progressions which is why much of my music sounds similar. Well, something Andrew and myself have in common. I also love augmented chords but you just can't use them all of the time and I can't think of one musical theatre piece that does right now. There has to be one. Let me root through my abyss of vocal scores.

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#59re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 12:48am

Two words.... SIDE and SHOW

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#60re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:14am

"Make Me Happy" Lippa's WIld Party

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#61re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:42am

i agree with you wendy! the harmony at the end of "follow your heart" where it goes..."laughter and GLAAAAADness" is so amazing! my eyes tear up everytime i hear it!

IdinaRocks Profile Photo
IdinaRocks
#62re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 1:55am

I love how "Seasons of Love" ends!

And the beginning (and reoccuring) theme in "As Long as You're Mine" from Wicked.

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#63re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 2:26am

- "That's the Way It Happens" (State Fair) The fairtones have some really crazy fun harmonies in there.
- "The Next 10 Minutes" (L5Y) particularly the "I do" section
- "People Like Us" (Wild Party [LaChiusa]) The ending (starting from "people like us, we slip by through the cracks...")
- "How the Other Half Lives" (TMM) As Miss Dorothy sings "Layaway to buy my clothes", Millie has this harmony that I am in love with on "So I can buy my clothes"
- "Stay (reprise)/Under Your Spell (reprise)" (Buffy: Once More with Feeling) I know, I know. It doesn't really count. But if you heard it, you'd understand why it's on the list. AMAZING.
- "Make Me Happy" (The Wild Party [Lippa]) OH MY LORD THIS IS INCREDIBLE. "In my hands salvation is nearing, steering me for permanent pain..." It's so good that it makes me twitch.
- "Pray" (OOTI) Ti Moune and Mama Euralie's duet parts
- "What Is This Feeling?" (Wicked) I don't know why, but this is my favorite song from the entire damn musical. Call me crazy, but I love it.
- "I Will Never Leave You" (Sideshow) The end of it
- "I Still Believe" (Miss Saigon) The counter-melody, and then the last line "...until we die!" AH!
- "I Wish I Could Go Back to College" (Avenue Q) Particularly the "Sitting in the computer lounge..." section, and not just because I am currently sitting in a computer lounge at 2am avoiding the papers that I have to do by 8am. re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
- "As Long as You're Mine" (Wicked) The part "...and see how bright we shine. Follow the moonlight..." etc.

These are not technically 'harmonies' or 'chords', but they are still fabulous:
- "Wick" (Secret Garden) The part about "Come a mild day..."
- "Winter's on the Wing" (Secret Garden) "And you'll be here to see it..." etc.
Maybe it's just because John Cameron Mitchell's voice has the power to melt me, but I love them.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#64re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 3:11am

Just had to say this is the first thread on the main board that I have loved in ages! We need more like it! (Starting to think about mine.)

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#65re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 3:27am

As much as I HATE wicked, reading flowery friend's choices, I actually had to add one from WICKED to mine.

FOR GOOD - when the two girls start singing together. Last year I musically directed a dinner theatre cabaret type thing and a few girls sand that - it was such a joy to teach them to song and play it on the piano. Now THAT is a good song, no doubt about it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#66re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 5:13pm

I love in I Wish I Could Go Back to College from Q when they break into, "Sitting in the computer lab, ect." I made the mistake of letting one of my very gung-ho type friends listen to that song and he made me sing-along with him about a trillion times in a row. =)

"Poor Child" from Lippa's Wild Party has some neato harmonies.

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#67re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 5:20pm

JOURNEY ON from RAGIME ... especially at the end when father, mother, and tateh all sing together

QUINTET from WEST SIDE STORY ... so powerful and groundbreaking

ONE HAND ONE HEART from WEST SIDE STORY ... eargasmic

RIP glebby <3

DivaMommy
#68re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 6:17pm

I can't believe no one's mentioned the insane SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! chord from Sweeney Todd. I think the sops are on a d - unheard of for an ensemble number. I had never heard the full show when I went to see it earlier this year and I bout jumped out of my seat.

I also echo the Once On This Island sentiments. I got to do that show last year and the ensemble numbers were inspiring to sing.

I really like the harmonie's in Seussical's "Notice Me Horton" at the part "I was just a no one only yesterday. . ."

Just about anything 3 women sing - Little Shop, Hairspray, Seussical (haven't heard Caroline or Change)

The whole show of Into The Woods is candy to my ears.

The counterpoint of "For Good"

The alto line in the finale of Children of Eden.

I love this thread.

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

#69re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 7:33pm

The first thing that came to mind was A New Brain. That whole score is full of wonderful arrangements. Perhaps my fave is in the final song - I feel so much spring.........

Kayla426 Profile Photo
Kayla426
#70re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/16/04 at 7:37pm

The last chord in "Moonfall Quartet" from Drood

"The Name Of Love/Moonfall" from Drood (It's that chord the chorus sings that sounds like angels from heaven or something you can't miss it, it's right before the end of the song)

Laughter and Gladness from "Follow Your Heart" in Urinetown

"It's not insanity says vanity fair" - from the Millie Demo w/ Sutton of the title song

The last notes of "love is a question mark" from taboo

"Louder Than Words" esp. that a capella like part

"Sunday" from Sunday in the Park

The last part of Hello Again when they're all singing "Hello Again" then "hello..." from the senator and the whore

"Poor Child" the last few notes from Lippa's Wild Party

"I Go To Rio" that last line from Boy From Oz

"Are You There" from bare

"Next Ten Minutes" the whole thing...from l5y

"Without Love" from Hairspray that whole last part where they are riffing out of nowhere :)

...i'm sure I'll think of more :0)

-k
gavin creel online

Videos