pixeltracker

Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark- Page 3

Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#50re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 7:07pm

I know! Bring Constantine from American Idol on!!!!!!! (He looks constipated when he sings. I shouldn't talk...so do I.) Either that or get a Backstreet Boy. They've already gone through N*SYNC and 98Degrees, and the only popular girl band from my childhood.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

erinrebecca
#51re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 11:11pm

Just because Drew required three months of rehearsal doesn't mean that Ryan would. Ryan has a much more active music career than Drew did at the time he was cast so chances are, vocally he'd be better prepared. Having him learn the role shouldn't take three months. In any case, who knows if this is just speculation or not but if it's not there's no way to tell when he'd be brought in. The attendance last week was 92% but the week before that it was 72% and the week before that was 52% so it's not like it's been high consistently. Every show was up last week so who knows if it will continue. Plus, isn't he a little young for Roger?

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#52re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 11:19pm

so MRF is leaving march 20th?

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

alli2
#53re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 11:20pm

FINALLY!

Other people who realize that Matt Caplan is not someone to throw themselves infront of a bus for (like many of his fans probably would) and realize he's not that good... horrible singing technique.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#54re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 11:21pm

I haven't heard that much of Ryan Cabrera (no more then a couple clips) but from what I can tell he sounds capable. I hear nothing wrong with his singing voice (in fact it's actually quite nice) although I agree, it would also depend on his acting skill and how he sounded in THAT roll. Still a bit skeptical if this turns out to be true (still a firm believer in Anthony as Mark forever) but who knows, I wouldnt just stomp on him from the jump.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#55re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 11:22pm

Yep, TabooWickedFan, the 7pm on 3/20 is MRF's last. He told me about two weeks ago (coincidentally on a day where he riffed the heck out of ICYR and made up all kinds of amazing notes).

alli2, have you heard Matt's own music? It's quite good.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!
Updated On: 2/24/05 at 11:22 PM

Parks
#56re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/24/05 at 11:58pm

As if hearing him on the radio everytime I turn it on isn't enough...Bah.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#57re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:20am

I'm surprised it's taken them this long to consistently have pop stars in the show. So far we've had Frenchie Davis, Joey Fatone, Mel, Drew Lachey (am I leaving anyone out?). I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get Mya as Mimi or like Christina Aguilera as Maureen. And I think it's fine that they're casting these people. If they're bad, they're bad. You have that possibility with casting anyone. It's when they cast someone horrible just because they have a marginally big name (i.e. Melanie Brown). I think Ryan Crabrerra will be fine.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

alli2
#58re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:21am

oh no, i completely agree. his own music is quite good. he has horrible technique, and for his music, that's fine, for broadway? no. he also breaks character quite a lot. i like drew 100x's more than him.

broadwaybaby3
#59re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:45am

if you listen very closely you can hear Jonothan rolling over in his grave.

Joshua488
#60re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:48am

RYAN CABRERA?!

No.

Just... no.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#61re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 12:51am

I don't understand the opposition at all, it doesn't make sense.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ReNtHeAd04
#62re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:21am

rent is "pop"- understandable- but at least for me it's the acting part too.. drew doesn't sound bad- but i can't take him seriously as mark!

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#63re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 10:58am

AHHHHHHH okay I know this was discussed like a page ago, but I just read it and MARK RICHARD FORD CANNOT LEAVE!!! He is so incredible. I know he has been doing it for years and probably wants to move on, but his voice is gorgeous! *tear* I'm sad now re: Ryan Cabrera in  RENT for the next Mark

TheGaIsSilent
#64re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 11:00am

I love how this thread is three pages long, based on a complete rumor that turns out not to be true.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

GirlfriendFromCanada
#65re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:13pm

I think it brings up interesting points though.

Just keep in mind they can fling a popstar in at any minute. While Drew and Mel B were fairly well announced, Joey was flung about the cast and fans in early July and started in early August. Those producers do what they do.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#66re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:19pm

as much as i love mrf- i think it is time for him to move on. As for matt caplan, i enjoy his solo work. In fact it is on right now. Now ryan, the reason for this thread. I personally would not like to see him in rent. Rent to me is much more than a bway show with pop music. The producers should not just throw in any pop star unless they can seriouslly act, sing etc.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#67re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 1:57pm

My question is: how do we know that Ryan can't act? It's amazing that people are all for Jennifer Hudson to take on Effie in the next Dreamgirls revival, but we've never seen HER act. You can't deny that he can sing fine. And Mark is not the most vocally challenging role in the world. Give him a chance. Too bad it probably will never happen.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#68re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:00pm

I'm anxious to see what becomes of this. Ryan's got a really good voice. I don't like it when he's breathy, but his belt is strong. He certainly would phat in the scarf and glasses.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#69re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 2:28pm

I don't want him as Roger OR Mark. I don't want him in Rent.

I wish they would bring Rapp back after the movie.

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#70re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:19pm

Ryan Cabrera is 20 ... one of the reasons the producers are hesitant to bring him in. Its very young ... also, I didn't mean Drew needed three months to prepare vocally, but its the words and otehr things. Roger is a very challenging role and its hard to learn all the words to "Another Day" and all the choreography and it could take a while.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#71re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:25pm

20 isn't really too young for Roger, if he's only supposed to be 22. I can see more of an issue being made of the fact that he'd be playing opposite someone who is much older than he is, and it looking utterly ridiculous. Karmine's great, but she hardly looks 19.

Roger is a challenging role because of the emotional depth he has. But there have been plenty (including the original) who can't handle choreography. I think a pop star *would* be able to handle that part, though.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheGaIsSilent
#72re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:31pm

I just think it's unneccesary at this point to bring someone in. They have the best cast they've had in YEARS, the movie's going to bring in huge numbers, triggering a RENT renaissance next fall (I'm presuming)... there's just NO NEED. (And yes, after the disasters that were Joey and Mel B, I said this about Drew, also, who, as an actor, is in my top ten Marks of the very many casts I've seen)

erinrebecca
#73re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:34pm

Very few castmembers have ever gotten anywhere close to three months to learn a role. I doubt it's ever happened, in any cast of Rent.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#74re: Ryan Cabrera in RENT for the next Mark
Posted: 2/25/05 at 3:38pm

Not to go back to Joey AGAIN but since it happened at one of the times I was the most actively into Rent (not that I'm not now) I remember it clearly. Joey's revenue is what kept the show afloat for awhile, and afterwards also, but at the time, the cast was in great shape. A wave of people from the Benny tour had all just come to Broadway and were breathing life into an almost dead cast. They were AMAZING right before Joey came in (even though Manley was still around). And yes, the show itself is doing fairly well financially right now, better than it was then, but if you're going to argue the state of the CAST... if it happened then, it could happen now. Granted, I don't think the cast is at its best right now, so I guess all of that is an opinion thing.

Videos