PalJoey
#50re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 8/11/05 at 5:12pm

No, there was too much snow.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#51re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 8/11/05 at 5:51pm

I am so mad that I missed this!! If anyone would be willing to copy it for me, please PM me. Thanks =)

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

TheColorOfFlame
#52re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 8/11/05 at 7:58pm

PalJoey, AMAZING!

Your stories absolutely glue me to my seat!

"I am the sound of distant thunder, the color of flame." CARRIE the Musical

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#53re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 9/9/05 at 3:41am

People in the Southern Ontario/Wesetern New York area can see BLT III on WNED (CH 17) on Sunday Sep 18. At 7 PM they will rerun BLT II followed by the new program.

III will also be shown by themat 1 PM on Sunday Sept 25.

Be award they will probably be doing pledge breaks.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#54re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 9/9/05 at 12:36pm

PalJoey - if you haven't already, you should write a book. Your story about the memorial service had me in tears, and all the stories are fascinating. You are a great addition to this board and we should all feel honored to have you here. I know I DO.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Johnnytoc
#55re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 9/9/05 at 1:15pm

I agree, thank you PalJoey....your stories make this amazing to read.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#56re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 9/10/05 at 1:05am

I think this clip was fascinating, my mom and I were watching it and we were both so mesmerized, almost in tears because of the nostalgia the clip inspired within us.
PalJoey I think it's the first time I agree with everyone else on the board: your stories are definitely amazing, to have had the honor of seeing Chita Rivera and Debbie Allen dancing "America" together must have been breath-taking, an orgasmic experience! The memory of the memorial service was extremely touching, I think the virus affected Broadway more than any other community, some of us are just lucky to be gay at a time in which at least we are well-informed about some of the risks...so off-topic

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Urban
#57re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:36am

PalJoey. Write a book, or a blog and share your stories with the world, I'd be first in line to buy it (well I assume they'd be a bunch of other Queens on this site who'd kill me for that position - your stories are beyond amazing).

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#58re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:28pm

Bump. Because someone reminded me of this thread.

As Auntie Mame says, "My memoirs...MY memoirs...!"

Updated On: 10/1/13 at 03:28 PM

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#59re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:57pm

I hate Josie De Guzman.... I just find her charmless and annoying.

SO nmany other ingenues in that day would have been better.

Diane Fratantoni
Beverly Lambert
et., etc., etc.,

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#60re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:12pm

hate is such a strong word
i remember the commercials for this production on tv
i wanted to see it so bad...

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#61re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:27pm

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete."

That is so funny, I think I have found my new signature!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#62re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:24pm

This thread hasd given me goosebumps. The stories are extremely INTERESTING!! Thanks PalJoey! WSS is one of those should we/can we/dare we situations. Being a yonger performer, I would kill to perform in the show (I'm 22). It's odd that nowadays there is not one show that I'd kill to do, just that I'd like or it would be fun, you know? Hmmm, those were the golden days of theatre as far as I'm concerned. Dedicated staff of writers, directors, actors, etc. And material that you want to perform.

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#63re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 11/3/06 at 11:28pm

Wow. Thanks for bumping this thread with my old stories. I just came back from seeing Chorus Line tonight, so all those ghosts are with me right now.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#64re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 11/3/06 at 11:51pm

PalJoey, you're not Jimmy Mellon are you?! I knew this production well.

jesseeinstein
#65re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 4/8/07 at 2:07pm

What amazing stories PalJoey!
Was this the revival with Victoria Mallory as Maria?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#66re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 4/8/07 at 2:09pm

No, Josie DeGuzman played Maria.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#67re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 4/8/07 at 2:40pm

PalJoey,
When you say that you didn't have sex with Bernstein because of the snow, are you referring to his hair color or what he was putting up his nose?

If it's the former, you were a fool to pass up that chance. If the second, perfectly understandable.

To semi-thread jack, the film version of WSS didn't really do it any favors when it comes to productions of it. Almost every one tries to copy the look of it. All the guys are in tight t-shirts (not that I'm complaing about that look) and jeans jackets. Now, when you look at pictures of the original production, those guys were wearing some really dorky clothing.

I saw a regional production that was directed by someone who had been a replacemebt in the original production and he had them costume it the way it had been in the original. One of the Jets was wearing those glasses with that dorky hat. And it was quite refreshing.

End of thread-jack.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#68re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 12/17/07 at 5:33pm

Bumped in honor of the Gypsy of the Year posting.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#69re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 12/17/07 at 5:43pm

Brent Barrett went on as Tony when I saw the show in September 1980.

Favorite memory of the production? Sitting in the 3rd row orchestra and the image of the crotch panel in Debbie Allen's panty-hose when she did the fan kick during the mambo in The Dance at the Gym dance.

I was 15 years old and to this day I still have that vivid memory.

re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#70re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 12/17/07 at 10:05pm

Brent Barrett was the 2nd Tony understudy, after Stephen Bogardus. Both of them sang Tonight, Something's Coming and Maria much better than Ken Marshall, whom Robbins had insisted play Tony, over Bernstein's objections.

Updated On: 5/16/16 at 10:05 PM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#71re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 12/17/07 at 10:09pm

Would've loved to see Barrett in the role... Thanks for the memories PalJoey!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#72re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:30am

Bump for Reri Grist.

Flippancy Profile Photo
Flippancy
#73re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:42am

Hell, bump for REAL broadway shows!

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#74re: BLT III - clip from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY Revival
Posted: 1/7/08 at 4:54pm

Flippancy...I second that bump!

PalJoey, you're my new favorite :) Thanks for your wonderful stories!

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Videos