pixeltracker

What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?- Page 3

What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#50re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:06pm

PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS PRODUCERS

Yes it's funny, and makes fun of Broadway; but thats no reason for it to win more Tony's than anything else. And I don't think the score is that memorable at all.

kate2
#51re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:43pm

42nd street... boooooring

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#52re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:45pm

oooh good call.... 42nd Street was OK but I thought the dancing was so over rated, I wasn't all that impressed

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#53re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:50pm

for real, the Producers, I honestly think its the biggest waste of time in theatre history.

TennesseeTwang
#54re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 7:02pm

Almost all of the longer-running shows with a rabid fan base, are certain to make some theater goers scratch their heads and wonder what all of the fuss is about.

You can't sling a dead cat without hitting SOMEONE who thinks that Wicked, RENT, The Producers, Phantom, Cats or many other shows, are wildly overrated.

And since it's all just a matter of opinion, everyone is right.

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#55re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:31pm

without a shadow of a doubt, my opinions is that.....

SPAMALOT

is terribly overrated. it drives me insane. as a glorified piece of re-used cabaret and cliche, it's marvellous but to recognised as broadways best musical of the 2005 season? ah, WRONG.

i have to slightly agree with people saying CATS too. i enjoy some of the numbers, but there are enough in there as well to break even.

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#56re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:39pm

I'd have to go with "The Producers". I see I am not alone in the opinion that this show is:

BORING

I couldn't believe how little I liked the show. I was expecting a Tony award winning show and instead got a show with two hams cavorting onstage between overblown, "look at me, I can use props in my choreography" dance numbers that were in no way original or amusing.

Well, the bratwurst hat was amusing. But that's IT!!

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#57re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:48pm

justme2

i don't agree with your analysis of the producers, but neverthe less i found it hilarious

very, very funny, i can see where you're coming from. i feel much the same about spamalot

oh...i'm still laughing. thank you, you made my day!

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

theatreboi11
#58re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:11pm

Phantom
Fiddler
All Shook Up
Lennon

Just have no clue why these shows are so popular

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

PerforMeg Profile Photo
PerforMeg
#59re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:11am

Boy From Oz.

When you have to cancel the show when the star is out, that says something about the material.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#60re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:53am

So happy to read that my Producers description made you laugh, stagedoor76! I love it when my writing is appreciated, and I thank you.

lvpblues
#61re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:06am

Cats
The Producers - I enjoyed it and had a good laugh but it was definitely wasn't what it was hyped to be.

BertCCRI2 Profile Photo
BertCCRI2
#62re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:22am

Anyone who has listened to the CD of "The Producers" has virtually no surprises awaiting upon attending the show. And, by the way, is there anyone who gets the urge to play that CD to uncover the elusive riches of Brooks' score after having heard it a couple of times? In retrospect, I find the other three musicals that were up for the Tony that year -- "Jane Eyre," "Full Monty," and "Class Act" -- were all more rewarding shows.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#63re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:01am

Rent.

*ducks for cover behind Wicked and Phantom*

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#64re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:05am

Bert...dead on...I beleive I have the Producer's CD somewhere in my collection. It's never made an actual appearance in the player, however.

Oh...if I had only played the cast recording first....

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#65re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:16am

My Top Five Include:

# ONE..........THE PRODUCERS

# TWO..........RENT

# THREE..........LION KING

# FOUR..........HAIRSPRAY

# FIVE..........SPAMALOT

Later!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

flirtandflounce Profile Photo
flirtandflounce
#66re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:23am

Actually, All Shook Up isnt really that popular at all..

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#67re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 3:15am

Cats

Its interesting, but I still can't believe it lasted that long. The namesake, I suppose.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#68re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 3:27am

my first trip to the city (when I was 12, and many of you were not yet born) included the hot ticket Phantom, and I was so excited I couldn't sleep the night before. Well, I made up for it by sleeping through half the show. I was so let down I honestly cried to my parents, "I thought Broadway was going to be so much better!"

It was, because I also got to see Into the Woods!

broadwaygal3
#69re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 3:38am

CATS (hated it!)

MAMMA MIA!

ALL SHOOK UP (very mediocre)

Now, about The Producers: I don't think it's overrated! I think
it is the funniest show I've ever seen! (5 times, including the
London production) Even better than the original film!

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#70re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 6:32am

SPAMALOT - POOR

CATS - POOR

WICKED IS GOOD BUT DEFINITELY OVER-RATED

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#71re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 7:29am

Anyone who has listened to the CD of "The Producers" has virtually no surprises awaiting upon attending the show. And, by the way, is there anyone who gets the urge to play that CD to uncover the elusive riches of Brooks' score after having heard it a couple of times?

I agree completely - after all the hype, I was let down by a dreadfully boring score (albeit orchestrated to perfection) and a script that only just stop short of screaming "Look, isn't all this funny!" I don't think it was a bad show and I enjoyed it, but IMO it didn't warrent such lavish praise.

Rent. Saw some of the OBC in London. Still don't get it. Sorry re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#72re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:14am

Yes, I agree with all of the obligatory responses, most notably
PHANTOM

I can't believe someone listed THE GRAPES OF WRATH! That was one (actually two, because I went back to see it again) of my most favorite experiences of seeing a Broadway show. The acting (Gary Sinise, Terry Kinney, Lois Smith, Sally Murphy) was phenomenal. Amazing ensemble cast. Wonderful direction, set design, lighting, etc. The final sequence with Rose of Shar'n breast feeding the dying man in the barn knocked my socks off with one of the slowest fades to black ever! It made me (and the entire audience) leap to its feet.

Fortunately, PBS recorded this Tony-winning production, but on the same note, it's unfortunate that the direction of the televised version lost a lot of the magic of seeing it live. The way it was shot, you couldn't see the set and how cleverly it was designed.

Oh, one more completely overrated show...
SUNSET BOULEVARD (also known as "The Worst BEST MUSICAL Ever!)

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#73re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:39am

RENT

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#74re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:46am

Spamalot
The Producers
RENT
Cats
The Phantom of the Opera

Videos