pixeltracker

Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs from RENT?- Page 3

Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs from RENT?

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#50re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 10:41pm

I can't stand Daphne...I cannot listen to any of her tracks in Rent, she's the main reason I never bought the OBC.

I'm not that thrilled by Rosario, but in my mind it doesn't take much to beat Daphne's vocal prowess.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#51re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 10:42pm

To be honest, I prefer some of the other Mimi's who were in the show to both Daphne and Rosario. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed both of their takes on Mimi but they where so different its hard to compare the two. There where bits I loved and bits I really disliked on the tracks in both their cases. In the end, I probably prefer Karmine or Dominique to both.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#52re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 11:39pm

Of the two, I prefer Rosario. I never have cared for Daphne. Rosario is not the strongest, but I think she adds vulnerability and youth to the role. I guess we will see.

Kind of off topic: Did anyone ever see Jaime Lee Kirchner in the role of Mimi on tour? I knew her somewhat growing up and was wondering how her performance was. She is in some new show with Don Johnson this year. Poor thing....lol.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

#53re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:55am

You people DO realize that comparing Rosario Dawson with any of the Broadway Mimis is like comparing Natalie Wood with Carol Lawrence in WSS, Right?

I mean, Rosario's voice is too weak and pitchy for singing in the shower no less live theater, as was glaringly apparent in "Two Gentleman of Verona".

How can anyone compare some dubbed, studio enhnaced neophyte with actors who perform the role LIVE eight times a week? I asked this question before, and I still would love to know, when will Rosario stop by the Nederlander and give us all a taste of what her Mimi is really like -- LIVE on a Broadway stage?

I guarantee NEVER because Sony entertainment would NEVER allow it -- because Rosario's laughable live performance would out her dubbed performance in the film. re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs

Some of you might think that she looks the part but PLEASE, don't insult us all by insinuating that she could ever actually sing this or any other Broadway role LIVE.

Wake up people. Don't be ridiculous. It's a film.

Vocally, Rosario Dawson is a FRAUD in "Rent" the movie just as Natalie Wood was in "West Side Story" the movie.

Take after take after take. Studio trick after studio trick. Dubbed, dubbed, dubbed.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#55re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 9:15am

As far as the OCR vs the soundtrack, I still must say I prefer Rosario. I agree that she would probably bomb onstage, but that's the power of film and recording. I think my preference just comes from a general dislike of Daphne's voice. Otherwise, I prefer the OCR to the soundrack. I am sure it will translate better with the visual, but I don't like how everyone toned everything down.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#56re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:42am

Did anyone see Scarry Spice do Mimi?? I like Rosario overall, but do miss Daphne's rasp.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#57re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 12:01pm

slacker, your Natalie-Rosario comparison is completely wrong. Natalie Wood didn't do ANY of her character's singing in the movie. Regardless of how "fixed" people may theorize her voice is, it still is Rosario's voice singing.

And Rosario isn't trying to play Mimi Rent 8 times a week, she's playing the role in the movie. She doesn't have to prove that she can do it on Broadway. If movie musicals were only done by people that COULD perform the role adaquately on Broadway, that would leave out 95% of the movies already made.

This has been explained to you an infinite number of times already, so this is my last time. If it bothers you enough to beat a dead horse like this, just don't see the movie and shut up about it.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 12:01 PM

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#58re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 12:39pm

Wax Lion loves Orangeskittles. Maybe he's a little biased because he, too, is orange. How can anyone not feel Rosario's energy and passion when listening to her rendition of ANOTHER DAY? And to think that the senses will be heightened on 11.23.

Love you, Ro.

Love,
Wax Lion

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#59re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 12:53pm

Neither!!!

Loraine Velez was my absolute favorite followed by Maya Days.

orangeskittles
#60re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:41pm

Aw, thanks Wax Lion! You've made my day!

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#61re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:53pm

Is slacker married to Daphne Rubin-Vega?

orangeskittles
#62re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 2:57pm

Nah, her husband is pretty hot, so he wouldn't feel the need to put others down to feel better about himself.

today4u:proofpositiv
#63re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:19pm

I would choose Daphne's voice over Rosario's any day

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#64re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:20pm

i absolutely hate hate HATE rosario. i thought she was AWFUL in two gentlemen of verona. she was the only weak part of an otherwise AMAZING production. she brought it down so much. and regardless of whether she can actually do the show live (that's not exactly the issue here), i just hate her interpretation on the CD... daphne is SO genuine and unique, rosario sounds synthesized beyond belief, ordinary, and i don't buy her acting at all.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

#65re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:25pm

My point exactly, ITF. Dawson is a phony but just because some people here know her we're suppposed to suspend all standards. And worse yet, they're trying to tell us she's comparable to Broadway performers!

Worse yet, and typical of their ilk, they have to cover for Dawson's lack of talent by climbing on the back of people who have done what Rosario Dawson would NEVER even attempt to do -- unless she wanted to be laughed out of the theater.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#66re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:36pm

OMG! I'm really beginning to think this slacker person should just put his/herself out of their own MISERY and just end it all over the fact that ROSARIO DAWSON was cast as MIMI in RENT.

What an overreacting, hysterical drama queen. SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY. GET A FRIGGIN LIFE.

You are a BROKEN RECORD.
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 03:36 PM

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#67re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:51pm

I love them both. Daphne put everything she had into that role, and she was riveting. But I find Dawson's "Out Tonight" to be glorious. Her interpretation of that song met and surpassed my expectations.

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#68re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:54pm

To whoever asked about Jaime Lee Kirchner as Mimi, I saw her and the girl was phenomenal. The word I used to describe her in a review was "fierce." She had it all. Plus, she was so "rock star" during "Out Tonight" which was so hot. She even had chemistry with Constantine (who I liked, he just didn't seem to have any kind of chemistry with anyone but her.)

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

#69re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:06pm

OMG! I'm really beginning to think this slacker person should just put his/herself out of their own MISERY and just end it all over the fact that ROSARIO DAWSON was cast as MIMI in RENT.

What an overreacting, hysterical drama queen. SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY. GET A FRIGGIN LIFE.

You are a BROKEN RECORD.

No, you're the broken record, Marquise. You started this lame thread and several others to tout this impostor.

Why don't you ask your cousin Rosario to come on down to the Nederlander some night and show Broadway what she's really got?

But since Rosario can't survive on her own merit, you and your friends have to climb on the back of the person who ORIGINATED the role of Mimi.

What next? Are you going to start a thread about "Who do you prefer Carmine Alers or Rosario Dawson singing the songs?"

Is Rosario comparable to a Karmine Alers?

Are you going to try to tell us that Rosario is comparable to a Marcy Harriell???

PUHLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

I know talent, Marquise, and Rosario isn't it. She can't sing. Get it? She's cast in a MUSICAL but she CAN'T SING! Doesn't that bother you at all?

She's just another pretty face that Hollywood is selling like Corn Flakes. Put her in a bright package, give her a catchy jingle, and you'll always have someone who doesn't know the difference willing to pay nine dollars.

She's a fraud. Stop with the ridiculous, misleading threads trying to insinuate otherwise. Only the Corn Flakes eaters are falling for your corn.

***edit***

My apologies to Karmine for the mispelling her name. Everything else stands.

Instead of singing "Would you light my candle" Rosario should be singing "I can't hold a candle" to any of the Broadway Mimis.

Updated On: 10/3/05 at 04:06 PM

orangeskittles
#70re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:17pm

If you're using her as the "good" example, at least spell her name right: Karmine Alers.

Now Ulla Dance
#71re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:26pm

yes, yes, i saw Mel B as Mimi last summer...

uh....right

I think the highlight of that show for me was when Mimi was on the verge of death and people behind me started quoting "Spice World"...

"Ma Boots Jerry you're wearin' ma boots"

TOO CLASSIC...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#72re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:32pm

First of all slacker I never claimed Rosario could do the role eight shows a week at the Nederlander. I've never compared her to Daphne, Karmine, Yassmin, Simone, Lorraine or any other actress who has played the role of "Mimi Marquez" before, after or since.

And for you to state that I'm climbing on the back of Daphne Rubin-Vega is total bull****. I am one of Rubin-Vega's biggest supporters and saw her in "RENT" a total of 14 times. Twice at the New York Theatre Workshop and another 12 at the Nederlander, so please, you can just stop right there with your mindless rant.

You're constant bitching isn't going to change the fact that Rosario Dawson is "Mimi" in the motion picture version of RENT.

Your claims as to her being dubbed are unsubstantiated and unproven and stem from the fact that you just can't accept that Daphne or some other Broadway performer didn't get this role.

Well, you know what? Too friggin' bad slacker. You either need to get over it or seek some serious medical attention because you my friend have issues that you feel to continously come on here and bash a performer who has done absolutely nothing to you to merit what you keep dishing out.

You are as of now being blocked. You can waste your time by replying to this post but I can assure you these eyes will never see it because I'm blocking you.

Updated On: 10/3/05 at 04:32 PM

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#73re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:33pm

big-ups slacker
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 04:33 PM

#74re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:38pm

Apparently the truth does hurt, eh Marquise?

No-singing Rosario Dawson is Mimi in "Rent" the movie.

It ain't "too friggin' bad" for me, Marquise, it's too friggin' bad for "Rent" the movie.

Is it live, or is it Memorex?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>