pixeltracker

Lion King changing theaters- Page 3

Lion King changing theaters

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#50re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 2/5/06 at 10:04pm

Hmm comparing Wicked to chitty Chitty Bang Bang can be a bit difficult. While CCBB was the story of a flying car, Wicked is more a show about...well,defying gravity and has an enprmous teenage fanbase. It has a big impact on that age group. I can see that translating well in London (kind of like the whole Harry Potter fandom)

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#52re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 2/24/06 at 9:49am

There are many more seats at the Minskoff. It's time for the show to "Move On." I'm listening to SITPWG. :) But in reality, Disney should ahve left it alone and put Poppins in the Minskoff. Te reason I think they didn't was because they own the New Amsterdam, therefore if Poppins flops, they don't lose as much money. And then they put Lion King back.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#53re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 2/24/06 at 9:55am

I totally agree, leave Disney alone, if it wernt for them times square would still be a dump and the new am would be a shopping mall.

I only wish they bought the 42nd st. theatre also

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

FindingNamo
#54re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 2/24/06 at 9:57am

I cherish BWW for discourse of this level: "They [Disney] think they are better than all other companies."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#55re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 2/24/06 at 10:55pm

Even if Poppins bombs within a year or so, I highly doubt it that Lion King would move back. It'll stay at the Minskoff.

And in time, Disney will likely have a Broadway theatre named after it. Considering there's still several disney movies that can(and are) being made into a stage version(i.e. Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

pauseforamoment99 Profile Photo
pauseforamoment99
#56re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 2/24/06 at 11:05pm

In terms of Upcoming Disney Productions, I was recently doing a workshop with a Disney Casting Director, and he said after Tarzan gets going steady, they were going to try and focus on putting together the Little Mermaid. Obviously anything of the sort takes time, but he just gave me a heads up that Disney is hoping for the Little Mermaid to head to Broadway in the next few years.

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#57re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/7/06 at 11:16am

cant believe lion king is leavin new amsterdam theatre. they cud have waited 2 move after it's 1oth anniversary on broadway has passed thru. well looks like theres no going bac then even thought mary poppins wud stay there 4 a year coz the minskoff theatre is being -restored personnally 4 lion king.

Fosse76
#58re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/7/06 at 11:25am

"I totally agree, leave Disney alone, if it wernt for them times square would still be a dump and the new am would be a shopping mall."

Nope. Times Square would have turned into Vegas East with or without Disney. It just would have taken a little longer to get there, but not much.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#59re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/7/06 at 11:29am

I think Poppins is going to fail like Chitty did. I mean it seems to me that they are both more suited for a European audience and people need to start learning that just becuase it works in London, nothing is guarenteed in NYC. I do think that Tarzan will be a hit though.

As for Lion King, it is still a cash cow for Disney so dont expect it to close any time soon. As long as there are tourists, there will be The Lion King.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#60re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/8/06 at 10:48am

ur probably right, i think mary poppins shud probably stay in the west end (LONDON) and lion king shud stay where they r. i 2nd that motion bout TARZAN bein a huge hit. it might even an award winner like beauty and beast and lion king and Aida

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#61re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/8/06 at 11:53am

I have seen "Poppins". It will be a huge hit. The Disney people are not stupid. They know what they have in their hands. "Lion King" will be around for a long time. As the show continues its run it is very smart of Disney to move it to a big theater which is located more in the center of things and right near the tkts booth. The booth has added years to the " Beauty And The Beast" Run. These people know what they are doing.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 3/8/06 at 11:53 AM

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#62re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/8/06 at 12:22pm

I don't think Poppins is going to be at all like Chitty. If we're relying on former fanbases, I think the movie Mary Poppins is, first of all, much more popular than Chitty--so it's got that going for it. And as much as I did love Chitty, I really think Mary Poppins is going to do better in standing on its own two legs as a stage show rather than just a "movie musical turned stage musical".

Also? I think it might be able to capitalize on the nostalgia factor better. Adults remembered the Chitty movie, of course, but it didn't seem to be pulling in that nostalgic audience--just a lot of kids, really. I think Mary Poppins is something kids will enjoy and there's a lot more nostalgia attached to it as far as adults are concerned.

RentBoy86
#63re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/8/06 at 1:10pm

Is Poppins tour friendly? It seems it might be difficult to tour because of all the flying.

I don't mind Disney on Broadway, but it seems like they're squashing the new original type shows. Ya know? Like it seems like Broadway is being turned into the place where they put musicals that are "safe" and are based on pre-existing material, which it shouldn't be. Broadway should showcase excellence in theater. That's my only problem with Disney. I don't see why they can't build a theater in Orlando like they did for Cirque and just move Beauty and the Beast there or something. At MGM, they already have a Beauty and the Beast stage show. Why have two?

Fosse76
#64re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 3/8/06 at 2:01pm

"Degrading to the actors? Jobs are degrading?"

You clearly haven't seen In My Life. How any of that cast can manage to get another job is beyond me.

Videos