Lion King changing theaters

Mark2
#0Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:12pm

Hi, I just saw that Mary Poppins begins previews in Oct. at the New Amsterdam. Does anyone know what is happening to The Lion King?

Yero
#1re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:15pm

Um exactly what you said in the subject.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Yankeefan007
#2re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:18pm

It's moving to the Minskoff in June. It will be playing there by the 3rd week I believe.

Dollypop
#3re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:20pm

If The Lion King's box office grosses continue to dwindle, they'd be better off in the Walter Kerr Theater.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mark2
#4re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:26pm

Is it really on it's way down? I've never seen it at TKTS, has anyone else?

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#5re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:33pm

It was at 68% capacity last week.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Dollypop
#6re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:45pm

Disney doesn't LIKE to put tickets at TKTS until it really has no choice.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:49pm

If it was still doing Blockbuster business, Disney would not be moving it. They may see the handwriting on the wall. It has had a long & healthy run. Even though I think Ragtime was a better all around show, Lion King is an entertaining event & is beautifully staged.

Poster Emeritus

LaVieHilary Profile Photo
LaVieHilary
#8re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 9:59pm

Disney annoys me. They think they are better than all other companies. The Lion King will probably last maybe 5 more years, the movie is 12 years old so the audience is maturing.

-------------------------
Light in the Piazza with Megan and Emi
"Girl you got money runnin' in yo bloodline."-Carl the Bartender

Katt
#9re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:02pm

The movie is already twelve years old?
I feel old now.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:18pm

The Lion King has made Millions and Millions of $
even at 68% it made 970 thousand
what handwriting on the wall?
They are only moving it cause Cameron wants Mary in the New Amsterdam
Do you really think they would spend all that $ to move it if it was not gonna last?
U guys need to look at the BIG picture, it's DISNEY.
and why should they put it on TKTS when the top avg price is still 95 bucks?
Call em what U will but Disney is turning out to be one of the smartest and most lucretive producers Broadway has seen yet.

bigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
#11re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:28pm

IMO, more people want to see Lion King than Mary Poppins. In the past decade, more children have grown up on the Lion King than on Mary Poppins and parents will therefore be more inclined to take their kids to the Lion King. It is unecessary for Disney to spend all that money renovating the Minskoff and moving the show there...I definitely think that they will lose money on this.

"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:29pm

To those who think Poppins will be a monster hit, let me say 4 words "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

This was to be a monster hit & it went down the crapper quickly. Broadway prices are obscene. For a family of 4 ( 2 adults & 2 kids ) you are looking at almost $ 450 for tickets alone . Add to that all the souvenirs the little tots will want & you are looking @ $ 500 to $ 550 for an evening of entertainment & this is without dinner. When you target a kiddie market, it gets very expensive for the parents who will think long & hard before shelling out this kind of money

It may not be the cash cow everyone thinks it will be

Poster Emeritus

CurtainPullDowner
#13re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 10:34pm

i agree Mr. Roxy
But BEAUTY has made much more $ at the Lunt than at the Palace
and TARZAN a tottaly unknown quantity has an outrageous advance
so we will see what Mary does.
How much do we think Sh, i mean Chitty lost?

Kungaloosh1937 Profile Photo
Kungaloosh1937
#14re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:02pm

Mary Poppins as a film is far, FAR more popular than Chitty Chitty Bang Band ever was.

And attach the Disney name... bingo - instant recoup.

theatreboi11
#15re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:08pm

Isn't Disney also fixing up the Minskof?

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

RentBoy86
#16re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:46pm

I think Poppins will do fine, unless they screw it up trying to make it "lighter" for American audiences. I think it will do fine and I think Lion King will do fine at the Minksoff. The Lion King is an okay show, I would take ppl to see it, but I wouldn't really ever wanna be in the show as an actor.

CurtainPullDowner
#17re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/30/06 at 11:56pm

u don't want a 12 hundred dollar a week contract on Bway
Rentboy?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#18re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:35am

Lion King is still making so much money but at small capacities because no ticket is cheaper than 99 bucks according to the gross chart and people are starting to realize that it's not worth it to pay big bucks to see this show. Maybe once they start making less money Disney will learn to lower their ticket prices a bit.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

RentBoy86
#19re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:51am

Not for that show, I'd rather do something that has heart and depth to it. I dont want to go out on stage and the only words I say are random noises - aka Ed the Hyena. I just think Disney shows are kinda degrading to actors.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#20re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:15am

It's at 68% capacity now, but it's the dead of winter. It's sold out most of the summer, every summer, and always during the holidays. I think the move sucks, only because the seats suck big time from mid-mezz back.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

timote316
#21re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:19am

Degrading to the actors? Jobs are degrading?

There are roles out there that are a heck of a lot worse than Ed the Hyena.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#22re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:21am

i know someone in the show and they are cutting every corner possible. Disney is regretting the decision to move Lion King apperintly.

Fosse76
#23re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:29am

Why exactly are they moving it? I mean, what is the reason Mary Poppins couldn't go into the Miskoff or any number of empty theatres?

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#24re: Lion King changing theaters
Posted: 1/31/06 at 11:48am

"Why exactly are they moving it? I mean, what is the reason Mary Poppins couldn't go into the Miskoff or any number of empty theatres?"

Because the New Amsterdam is Disney's flagship theater. It is owned by Disney and it was resurected by Disney. Moving it there says, "we believe in this show enough that we are putting it in OUR theater."

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Videos