pixeltracker

The Pirate Queen Reviews- Page 3

The Pirate Queen Reviews

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#50re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:05pm

I know this might sound completely random, but I kept thinking of Lestat while I was watching The Pirate Queen.

Ha! So did I! I mentioned that very same thing when I saw PQ at the first preview. In fact when they showed that ships mast I thought to myself "so that's what happened to the 'Sail Me Away' set!" re: The Pirate Queen Reviews I think it was the costumes & that damned trapdoor. (Which wasn't a very good thought to have while watching it, but apparently more than one person thought so.)

And I get what you're saying about the fangirls. I've never seen Wicked so I'm not familiar with that whole cult and the fans of it's various actors, but I can imagine what they'd be like.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 09:05 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#51re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:06pm

This is a fun game, to extract good quotes from bad reviews.

Musto:
"enjoyable scenes and cotton-candy tunes"

....but the world goes 'round

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#52re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:08pm

Lestat was worse than Pirate Queen. But then maybe my experience at Lestat (blood-curdling screams from the most obnoxious fan-girls ever at every entrance and at the end of every song) has colored my view of that show.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#53re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:08pm

"I will say one thing for Brantley. Even if he doesn't like a production, he does recognize good talent in the peroformers."

If they're blonde. Or hunky.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Yankeefan007
colleen_lee
#55re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:09pm

I don't think they have ever not liked anything.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#56re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:10pm

Surprise, surprise...the "real people" liked it.
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 09:10 PM

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#57re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

They don't sell tickets through their site by giving negative reviews.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#58re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

If they're blonde. Or hunky

- Hunky aka big hard pecs.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#59re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:11pm

Mike didn't like it... good for him, I say.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#60re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:12pm

That was almost as bad as the Oprah Presents The Color Purple commericial.. God, that was cheesy.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#61re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:12pm

Well one of them didn't and I'd say the first one is mixed.

Those are just 3 "random" people though. I'd think Broadway.com would have their own review as well.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#62re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:13pm

That surely cant count as review , they seemed like they were sharing a brain cell

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#63re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:33pm

I hate to see shows just open and close but this is not going to last very long...unless the rest of the reviews are out and out raves. I kinda feel bad for Stephanie J. Block; she's a huge talent who deserves to carry her own show. Too bad this one apparently stinks.re: The Pirate Queen Reviews...
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 09:33 PM

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#64re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:34pm

“She sang, she danced she acted” wow these people sure had high expectations

Word of Mouth likes any piece of crap that you throw at them. I understand that it is important to let the general public have their voice, but I think that it is irresponsible to ignore professional theatre critic’s opinions on their site. thay just want to sell their overpriced tickets.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#65re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:38pm

An excess of nonspecific, empty staging, whether by Daniele or Galati, doesn't help; nor do throat-clenching numbers like the crushingly determined "Woman" for Grace or Tiernan's "I'll Be There" (which, despite its mawkish power-ballad provenance, Fraser makes a spectacular showstopper). A satiric series of harpsichord-tinged scenes for the Elizabethan court and a battle-of-the-sexes "Master of the House" rip-off called "Boys'll Be Boys" for Donal's bachelor shindig are more desperate than diversionary...Block possesses neither the natural likeability nor the inner fire to convince as Grace, and her one-level acting and singing are insufficient to carry the evening. McCarthy is too young, vital, and ineffectual for the aging yet commanding Dubhdara; and Chait's corn-fed American golden-boy act is wrong for the tribally chauvinistic Donal. Balgord would need to remove several shades of lacquer from her bewildering, shrilly mannered performance for it to legitimately qualify as camp.

In what world would this review be called a "rave"? Give me a break!

PEACE.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#66re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:40pm

Lord know the TheaterMania quotes will be all over advertisements unless they can pull something interesting and positive from the Times review...which will probably be hard.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#67re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:40pm

By the way, did Block make it on tonight?

PEACE.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#68re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:46pm

whoa! where is that one from Suleen?

....but the world goes 'round

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#69re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:50pm

What? That is from the Talkin' Broadway RAVE!!!

PEACE.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#70re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:54pm

Block possesses neither the natural likeability nor the inner fire to convince as Grace, and her one-level acting and singing are insufficient to carry the evening.

That alone should instantly cause another 1,000 fan girls (and boys) to drop dead.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

rocker05
#71re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:55pm

Alright, I get it, it's not a rave!!!! It does have some positive words in it though, so I'd refer to it as mixed. The reviewer somewhat praises the some of the score as well as Hadley Fraser. He definitely did not like Stephanie, and was pretty critical when it came to her performance. In attendance last night, were a few critics who from the look on their faces weren't too impressed. Roma Torre didn't seem so thrilled with the show. Overall, the reviews so far are for the most part negative. Reviews effect ticket sales, and this ship won't be sailing much longer. Hate to be so negative, but this is my opinion.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#72re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:06pm

D2 - I read what they had to say about Steph and I'm sorry to disappoint you, I'm still alive. Also, I'm not panicing or freaking out.

And I'm definitely not impressed by the joy some of you are displaying about the supposed "demise of PQ".

Grow up.

And, Tazber... if Steph doesn't get nominated and the earth quakes, my Californian butt will be ready for that too.

Place whatever labels you want on those of us that support the show but some of you are looking very foolish with your comments.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#73re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:09pm

Popular

I dont think people are taking joy in the fact the show is sinking fast i think it has more to do with the fact that recently on here anyone who has had anything bad to say about this show has been pounced on.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#74re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:09pm

Yay! Popular's here! Defend your show girl! I'm not really a fan but the thread was getting a bit too one-sided! re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:09 PM

Videos