pixeltracker

Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow- Page 3

Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#50re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 9:39am

I love Marc Kudisch, so for me to see him play Nathan without him ever playing Sky would just kill me. I know he doesn't consider himself as that type of actor, but God knows that about 5 years ago he could have pulled off Sky so well (heck I still want to see him do that role now). But, Marc Kudisch is an excellent comedian, no doubt about it. And if for some reason Krakowski does not get cast, then I would love to see Emily Skinner's Adelaide against Marc's Nathan. Denis O'Hare is interesting.
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 09:39 AM

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#51re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:33am

>> I haven't seen the show but from interviews with Krakowski I do know that it's supposed to be "darker" and more sexual.

Am I the only one who's getting a lttle tired of "darker" productions of essentially fun and mindless musicals? I mean, please, folks -- it's GUYS AND DOLLS, not CABARET. Does *everything* now have to have a sleaze factor to make it sell, or are directors just running out of ideas on how to approach stuff like this? What's next, a "darker" revival of MAME in which we have a somewhat strange attraction between Auntie Mame and her nephew?

http://docandraider.com

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#52re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 10:34am

I love the ideas of Harry and Kelli as Sky and Sarah, or even Erin Davie. I really don't think Benanti is right for the show, except since this production is supposed to be "darker" she mguth fit the bill, and as much as I love Anika I don't think it's the right role for her. She could do it well, but she just isn't the best fit for it whereas there are other actresses who are.

Marc Kudisch as Nathan would work well against Krakowski's Adelaide. Denis O'Hare would've been a great Nathan for the cartoony productions of the show, but I think this production might need someone who is a little more commanding physically. However, this does not include Hugh Jackman. I'm sorry, NLS, but Hugh is not the right choice for Nathan. At all. He's been linked to the remake, but to play Sky. And to be perfectly honest, I don't think he'd make the best Sky.

I'm not at all a fan of Guys and Dolls (it's one of two classics that I can't stand, the other being Fiddler). But for a cast that could include Harry Connick Jr., Kelli O'Hara/Erin Davie/Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, and Marc Kudisch, I'd be willing to see them in a production of Her First Roman.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#53re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 11:24am

Ten bucks they try to get Antonio for Sky...I kid, I kid, but only kinda.

Harry would make a great Sky and would Hugh Jackman. I can't for the life of me picture Hugh as Nathan, all wrong.

Honestly, I know he's not quite old enough but we all know Norbert would KILL as Nathan.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

BDavis0092
#54re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 11:37am

I don't think I've been this excited for a show in a while. I can't wait to see it next year.

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#55re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:37pm

For Miss Adelaide, I'd say bring Claire Sweeney. I saw her in the UK Tour Production of Guys & Dolls back in October and she was absolutely Brilliant as the character!

Thesbijean
#56re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 1:07pm

So, I assume this will be going into the St. James? Grinch ends in January, no?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#57re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 1:20pm

the st.james seems most practical.

Fan2
#58re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 1:24pm

Hugh Jackman has been rumored as Sky for the movie remake of Guys & Dolls, which reportedly is one of the movies in his Disney deal, but gosh knows when that will happen - the man has so many things on his plate.
Updated On: 6/7/07 at 01:24 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#59re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:29pm

I also thought about Emily Skinner for Miss Adelaide, but if this production tries to make this character a sexy stripper I'm not sure Grandage would cast Skinner in the show (I think she's quite sexy but the reality of the business is that most people think she's overweight). To be honest I'm so enthralled by the idea of Krakowski singing "Adelaide's Lament" (she sings a few bars with Rosie at a commercial break from The View posted on youtube) that I don't even want to think of other options.
Wickedfan, I agree with you that Denis O'Hare might have been more appropriate for the '92 revival, but I still think he could really make Nathan work. However, as I said, he may not be the best match to Krakowski's Adelaide. Kudisch on the other hand (whether he likes to think so or not) is a leading man who is also an excellent character actor so I think he has the potential to be a great Nathan.
Carl, I actually was thinking that they might try to get Banderas involved in this either as Sky or Nathan.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#60re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:45pm

There needs to be a restraining order issued on Broadway revivals of Gypsy and Guys & Dolls for at least 20 years. Oh, and Grease too.

Jesus, people. How many times to do we want to see the same show painted with a new coat of paint?!?

Are these the same people who buy one shirt they like... in 14 assorted colors? Or eat the same lunch every day for ten years?

*sigh*

"We want what we know, and we know what we want, and we want what we know..." etc.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

thenewmoon
#61re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:52pm

I'm thinking Marc as Sky and Norbert as Nathan... but who for Sarah?
Of course, if they got Harry, Denis O'Hare for Nathan would be a good foil.
I think John Cullum for Arvide is a lock.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#62re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:58pm

it would be great if Harry did it, because then there would FOR SURE be a recording, he would probably pay for it!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#63re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 2:59pm

I agree best12. Please, can we revive some other shows? Why must Gypsy, Guys and Dolls, and Grease be revived so often? There are other shows.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#64re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 3:03pm

Fantastic!

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#65re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/12/07 at 7:44pm

Sorry for the thread-jack but in regards to Adelaide casting, Could you see Cyndi Lauper in the role?

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#66re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:21am

Has there been any more news about the casting for this revival? Obviously the Kelli O'Hara Speculation as Sarah Brown is out.

I think Ellen Greene could prove an interesting Miss Adelaide...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#67re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:33am

Of the current Broadway crop other than Krakowski, Amy Spanger would be a knockout Adelaide.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

teka21
#68re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:35am

purpleprince, I could definitely see Cyndi Lauper as Adelaide! She has both the singing and acting chops, and the NYC accent the role demands. A perfect fit.
(And she was the best thing about Roundabout's Three Penny Opera)

teka21
#69re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:35am

sorry, double post! Updated On: 7/11/07 at 12:35 AM

Actinggbugg474
#70re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:50am

Isn't Ellen Greene in her mid - late 50s???? I think that's too old for the role. Cyndi Lauper probably isn't too far behind her.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#71re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:57am

True, she maybe too old now (although I'm sure there are ways of making her look much younger), but back in her "Audrey" days she certainly could have done the role well.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#72re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 12:58am

I personally like the idea of Gettlefinger as Sarah... boy she would be fierce and fiesty.

Angela Christian (Millie and Woman in White) i could see playing it to. She can play ballsy and powerful pretty well.

Angela as Sarah and Marc as Sky could be cute.

MungoGypsy8232
#73re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 1:27am

Amy Spanger would be amazing!

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#74re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 7/4/07 at 1:52am

I would love to see Rachel York in this. I think she could definately play Sarah and her Adelaide would be amazing.

Videos