pixeltracker

What's next for all of these empty theaters?- Page 3

What's next for all of these empty theaters?

MrsVampyre
#50re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 1:31pm

Here's a list from Playbill of upcoming shows, and shows that are in th works.

Hope this helps...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/80060.html

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#51re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 2:20pm

I have the concept recording for A Tale of Two Cities, I personally think it has a lot of potential and has a HUGE budget but can't remember the exact number right now

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#52re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 2:20pm

">The show will do well in the Rodgers, the Imperial is way too large.<

According to recent grosses, the Rodgers has around 1,319 seats. The Imperial has 1,435 seats, so they really are not too far off from each other in seating capacity."

I know this Smaxie it is the "feel" of the size of these houses
The RR just dose not have the same 'barn' like feel to it as the Imperial has.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#53re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 2:48pm

"Feel" or no feel, if IN THE HEIGHTS had trouble filling the small theatre it was in Off-Broadway, how will they pray to fill the Rodgers?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Josephine2 Profile Photo
Josephine2
#54re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 6:58pm

I wonder if The Wiz has a bid for any of these theatres.

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#55re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 7:22pm

Hey Wanna Be A Foster - Any idea of the next flop that will occupy The Cort?

That was the funniest thing I've heard all day. Nothing plays there longer than a minute & a half. I can never understand why any producer in their right mind would book that theater.
It's obviously cursed. They should turn that one into a haunted house too - haha.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
Updated On: 7/14/07 at 07:22 PM

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#56re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 11:34pm

double post.....re: What's next for all of these empty theaters? Updated On: 7/14/07 at 11:34 PM

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#57re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/14/07 at 11:35pm

Has there ever been a time in recent years where this many theatres were empty?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#58re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 12:28am

I remember that around the second or third week in January of 2005 there were only 19 shows running.

TapTapTapioca
#59re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 12:44am

Josephine- The Wiz does not have a bid on any of these theaters because it isn't going to be on Broadway until th 08-09 season and no theater organization wants to have a theater dark that long. I will tell you that CRY BABY does have on of those theaters.

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#60re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 1:18am

I saw IN THE HEIGHTS tonight and the theatre was filled to the brim. The orchestra and the mezzanine. I don't know where you guys are getting your numbers from, but from what I understand it has been doing pretty well at 37 Arts, not to mention that it's in one of the most out of the way, inconvenient locations of any Off-Broadway theatre.

This show has crossover appeal. I don't think it's a niche show. It reminded me a lot of RENT. I know everyone says "So-and-so-musical is the next RENT" but I think that IN THE HEIGHTS will tap into the same audience as RENT and SPRING AWAKENING.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

TapTapTapioca
#61re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:37pm

Does anybody know where CRY BABY is going?

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

RentBoy86
#62re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:40pm

I've heard Maruqis, but I've also heard Tale of Two Cities wants the Marquis, so I'm sure it's all rumors. Not sure how big of a show Cry Baby is.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#63re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:43am

How can someone say 'In The Heights' IS going to the Imperial without working in the production office or close to it? Now you know its not, its playing the Rodgers! So much speculation on these boards from people who speculate about everything.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#64re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:46am

DRS was not wrong. Up until a few days ago, In the Heights was going to the Imperial. But the Rodgers ended up becoming available.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#65re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:53am

The Rodgers has been available for the last two months since Tarzan was roumoured to close. Then it did but 'ITH' only announced it today. The Imperial was initaily tied up with a run of 'Coram Boy' that suddenly ended rather fast.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/27/07 at 08:53 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#66re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 8:53am

Smaxie, do you know (and are able to tell) what is next for the Imperial? LONE STAR LOVE? GYPSY? CRY BABY?
Is the FOLLIES transfer completely dead by now?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Rotel1026
#67re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:19am

Lone Star Love announced it was going to the Belasco already.

http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/12668.html

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#68re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:22am

Lone Star Love has booked the Belasco, which has already been announced. I haven't heard a definite about the commercial life for Gypsy after City Center, but at any rate, it seems a London engagement would happen before it would come to Broadway, if it happens at all. Cry-Baby is looking at several theatres, and watching the grosses carefully to see which musical house might be available soon.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#69re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:25am

Someone asked about The Homecoming a while ago. It's just been announced for The Cort. Previews start November 16th, and it opens on December 4th. re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#70re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:30am

Ive never understood how/why Broadway houses stay dark for so long after a show closes before the next one comes in. Sometimes i see a house dark for up to a year. London houses always eem to get snapped up pretty soon with very little time between shows.

esparza 333
#71re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 10:51am

Go to broadway.com and you click on randy quaid going to lone star love. Over their it says that Lone Star love is getting the belasco. It also sys in another articles that In The Heights is set for the Richard Rodgers

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.
Updated On: 7/27/07 at 10:51 AM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#72re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:06am

So what's empty and unbooked as of now?

Barrymore
Booth
Imperial (until Billy Elliot, supposedly)
Longacre
Lyceum
St. James (after Jan. 6)

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#73re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:15am

Doesn't Guys and Dolls have the St. James?

And I would assume a limited run of something would be put in The Imperial. I hope it doesn't sit empty for too long.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#74re: What's next for all of these empty theaters?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:20am

It appears as though the Longacre is undergoing some sort of rennovation. (guess from where I observed this?!)

I wonder what's going into the Barrymore, Lyceum and Booth.
And what about the months and months of emptiness some of these theaters have before something else comes in? Seems a shame to leave a theater empty for so long. (of course, if Disney were smart, they'd work out a deal to move Beauty to the Rodgers for a limited run until In the Heights moves in, which isn't until Feb. 08.)
Then, the Kerr will be empty until at least Feb. as well.
And the others are just plain empty.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.
Updated On: 7/27/07 at 11:20 AM

Videos