Perfect Original Casts

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 9:12pm

>Although sometimes disputed, I'm still with Jekyll & HYDE's opening Broadway cast as one of the best out there. Linda Eder, Robert Cucioli & Christiane Noll; not to mention the slew of other great talented ensemble and featured members of the cast.

Anthony Warlow is much better than Cucioli, at least vocally IMO.

--

I agree with Sunday In The Park With George had a perfect OBC.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#51re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 9:13pm

My Fair Lady
Bye Bye Birdie
A Chorus Line
The Producers
Rent
Jersey Boys

SweetQintheLights
#52re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 9:21pm

"I also love Avenue Q's original cast, especially Stephanie and Johnny T. "

I think the original Avenue Q cast was excellent. However, I much prefer Barrett over Johnny.
Had Barrett would have been the original, I think that would have made it "perfect."

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#53re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 9:27pm

Rent
Young Frankenstein
Spring Awakening

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#54re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 9:49pm

The ASSASSINS revival:

Michael Cerveris
Neil Patrick Harris
Marc Kudisch
Denis o'Hare
Alexander Gemignani
Becky Ann Baker
Mario Cantone
Jeffrey Kuhn
Mary Catherine Garrison

Simply an incredible cast- the amount of talent in that show was incredible.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#55re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 10:04pm

Hairspray
Chicago (revival)
Spamalot
The Who's Tommy
Carousel ('94)

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

tommigyrl5
#56re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 10:11pm

"i really loved the cast of the comapny '06 revival (i think it was '06 whatever the newest cast). they were brilliant in each role especially amy and bobby."

I thought the Amy understudy, Jane Pfitsch, was much better than Elizabeth Stanley.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#57re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 10:32pm

everyone mentions company... I like the last revival with Raul
SUPERB cast!

rkapskey
#58d
Posted: 11/24/08 at 10:36pm

Updated On: 5/22/09 at 10:36 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#59re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 10:38pm

My Fair Lady
Camelot
Gypsy (2003 revival)
The Drowsy Chaperone
Grey Gardens
South Pacific (2008 revival)

#60re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/24/08 at 11:36pm

I know I'm in the sharp minority but I don't think the Assassins revival cast was a stich on the original. Unworthy of Your Love makes my ears bleed re: Perfect Original Casts

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#61re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/25/08 at 12:15am

CAMELOT

bwaylvsong
#62re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/25/08 at 12:36am

"I can't believe someone said the '95 Company... Great talented cast but much of it miscast--though some of that blame is on the milquetoast direction I think."
"I can't believe someone mentioned the '95 COMPANY either. I mean, beginning with Debra Monk's extremely miscast Joanne to LaChanze's dull "Another Hundred People," this was far from a perfect original cast."

Well, I didn't see it live, so I'm judging solely from the recording, and therefore can't comment on the direction. I thought Monk's voice suited the songs better than Stritch's (despite the fact that it was just about written for her, and her performance is clearly definitive) and Walsh's, and LaChanze gave the best vocal performance of AHP I have ever heard- it doesn't come across as dull at all, at least aurally. I also liked Gaines' voice (and lower keys) as Bobby. I also thought Burstein, Westenberg, and Cox were all vocally stronger/ more adept than their counterparts.
All in all, my statement was based entirely on the vocals on the recording, and I stand by it.

#63re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/25/08 at 1:05am

The recording just sounds liek ti's lacking in life for me. I agree with many of your comments--I like Gaines' lower keys too and maybe it's just missing those great 70s original tunick orchestrations, but...

But the OBCR recording is SO electric. Id unno. I just can't back you up

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#64re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 1:35am

Had to start this thread back up again...

Camelot (the originals have yet to be bested)
Mamma Mia (Broadway cast, can't beat Louise Pitre's silver hair)
On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

Also, the '95 Company revival cast is just drab. I like Boyd's voice, but he doesn't have the same skill of interpreting a song like Dean Jones. There is a rawness and bite that is missing from everyone in the cast (recording wise).

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#65re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 1:38am

I'm surprised there have only been about 3 people on this thread to overwhelmingly point out...

GRAND HOTEL!!!

Followed closely (in my opinion) by
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

I must also agree with
ASSASSINS (revival)

and

RENT
For me, this is more of the feeling of solidarity and longevity the cast had in the show's creation from workshop to NYTW to Nederlander

...and though some may be too afraid to mention (misjudged as hugely fanboyish), but look at the list behind WICKED
The obvious choices:
Idina Menzel
Kristin Chenoweth

But remember the great featuring cast!
Norbert Leo Butz (mature and smooth)
Joel Grey (legend)
Carole Shelley (brought her back to spotlight)
Christopher Fitzgerald (a new shorty character actor)

And a polished ensemble of new-comers that later went on to helm the other national productions (ie Kristoffer Cusick, Kristy Cates, Derrick Williams)

THANK YOU! for the information about SOUTH PACIFIC. It seems utterly ridiculous that I didn't know that little bit of trivia... It freakin' SWEEPED the Tonys (not only that Pulitzer) but basically every single award. I had no idea there existed a musical to take all 4 acting awards!!! With good reason too

If we're discussing plays, I'll throw in

DOUBT
Tony-Award winners Cherry (with her ferocity) up-against Adriane (in her single scene) gave me endless chills

I AM MY OWN WIFE
Haha I'm kidding (only slightly) when it comes to "cast" but nevertheless, what a singular performance by Mays

and lastly
ANGELS IN AMERICA Updated On: 11/29/08 at 01:38 AM

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#66re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:07am

OMG how could I have missed the revival of Assassins!? Now THERE is a fantastic original revival cast!

And I also agree with Avenue Q. That was was superb.

The original cast of Urinetown was pretty fantastic as well. Jeff McCarthy, Nancy Opel, Hunter Foster, Jennifer Laura Thompson...loved it!

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#67re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:17am

Spring Awakening's OBC was absolutely perfect. Never have I seen chemistry like that.

Next to Normal had a wonderful cast for its Second Stage run. Not a weak link!

I know you. I know you. I know you.

nexttoelectric Profile Photo
nexttoelectric
#68re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:58am

Next to Normal had a wonderful cast for its Second Stage run. Not a weak link!

Did you not see Asa Somers? He wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but he was grossly miscast.

And as much as I loved Jennifer, from what I've hear (and having seen her in Saved) Morgan Weed was more suited to the part.

ETA

I forgot to add

Doyle's Sweeney Revival
Trailer Park (off bway)
Awake and Sing Updated On: 11/29/08 at 02:58 AM

rufussars Profile Photo
rufussars
#69re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 4:08am

Wow, what show HASN'T been mentioned thus far? I think this is a hard call to define what constitutes a superior OBC, seeing that they are the first, therefore creating the roles for the first time with their own spin and making it all the more difficult to separate their interpretation of it. How about a show with miscast leads? Now that would be far more entertaining...

...And so, there I was at the stage door for "Equus". The enthused avalanche of "Harry Potter" fans was literally pushing me into the barricades. As I was thrust face-first into Daniel Radcliffe's hat, I suddenly felt the thumb of a lanky gentleman behind me pressing firmly into my back. It was then that I realized that both of his hands had Playbills, and that both arms were outstretched in front of me...

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#70re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 11:58am

I'm gonna throw in another bid for SWEET CHARITY. I don't think anyone can surpass the shadow Gwen Verdon left over that role.

Can I say the original ON THE TOWN? I never saw it, but I saw a video of the originals about 40 years later helping Jerome Robbins restore some choreography for JEROME ROBBINS' BROADWAY. Even forty some years later, they owned those roles.

And, I'd take that original COMPANY cast over either revival any day. Elaine Stritch? Pam Myers? Dean Jones, Donna McKechnie? The whole bunch is spectacular!

One more I haven't seen mentioned often, EVITA's original Broadway cast.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#71re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 12:02pm

I think Curtains had an amazing original cast. Even right down to the ensemble members.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#72re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 12:09pm

Agreed^^^

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#73re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:15pm

The Drowsy Chaperone

Jon
#74re: Perfect Original Casts
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:38pm

To the person who mentioned A NEW BRAIN - when I saw it, the original Roger, Christopher Invarr, was terrible. He could not stay on pitch. He left the show the next week. His understudy played the role for a week, and then Norm Lewis (who is heard on the cast album) took over.

The official reason for Invarr's departure was "vocal problems". I didn't realize that being tone deaf was connected with the voice.

Videos