pixeltracker

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?- Page 3

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?

FranzRelax
#50re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:20pm

Get rid of TLM.

We serve their food, We carve their meat, We tend to their house, We polish their Silverware.

PiraguaGuy2
#51re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:21pm

Why did I think "The Addams Family" was taking the Shubert?

I'd love to see another old-timey, classicy, big-old Broadway musical in that theatre.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

jagfkb
#52re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:24pm

here's the thing though, Addams family is already selling ticketsfor the Lunt so it's pretty much official that Mermaid is going somewhere. More and more, however, a closing is more likely than a move. Also, Poppins may move, but it won't close. It's making more than mermaid and, for a few weeks, more than lion king...

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#53re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:28pm

No, it's selling tickets for a theatre similar to the Lunt. I'd compare and contrast it with the other Nederlander theatres, but I don't really care to.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#54re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:38pm

The only way to know if a DISNEY show recoups is if DISNEY says
it recoups.

Actually, that is not entirely true. Variety reports on all shows and stated clearly that AIDA did recoup but TARZAN did not. (See the seasonal reports - The one for 2008/09 will be out in about 2 weeks.)

I don't think Disney is any more secretive about production costs and recoupments than any of the other Broadway producers.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#55re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 8:33am

Actually, The Little Mermaid is doing better than Mary Poppins. If you figure that if the Little Mermaid was at the New Amsterdam, it would do better thasn Mary Poppins because they have a balcony unlike the Lunt which could sell more tickets. I think Mary Poppins should close ebcause the show is such a bore and The Little Mermaid should move to the New Amsterdam and continue a great run because they are doing well unlike other shows.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#56re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 9:33am

That argument would only make sense if Mermaid was playing to SRO every night and necessitated additional seating, which it is not. Besides that additional seating in the balcony would be at a much lower price than the orchestra and mezzanine seating, so the lost capacity in the other sections wouldn't match the extra money brought in via the balcony seats. The New Amsterdam has 300 more seats (roughly) than the Lunt, with about 460 seats in the balcony. So you'd be losing about 160 seats at a much higher price to sell 300 seats a lower price. Since the balcony seats at Poppins are roughly half the cost of an orchestra seat, the net gain in moving TLM into that theater would be negligible at best.

In reality, they are selling group tickets to a theater with the same seating chart as the Lunt. This exact thing happened last year with WSS and Legally Blonde. Besides, TLM wouldn't have to close until February at the latest to provide ample time for The Addams Family to move in.

Fosse76
#57re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:47am

"Why did I think "The Addams Family" was taking the Shubert?"

I believe they were...then Nederlander joined as a producing partner. Hair was originally supposed to go into the Shubert as well...one of the producers wanted it there but the director wanted the Hirschfeld.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#58re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:11am

Will Blithe Spirit stay through till February or March? I don't really know much about the show, but they are only selling tickets through July 19. I think the Addams Family would do great in the Shubert, but its not a Nederlander theater, blah. But if Guys and Dolls does close quicker than expected, I think the Addams Family would do great in the Nederlander theater.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#59re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:27am

Blithe Spirit is a limited engagement, it will be closing on July 19th.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#60re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:54am

I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Blithe Spirit extended through the end of the summer.

mzk2004
#61re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:55am

Probably depends on the Memphis load-in schedule

Fosse76
#62re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 2:40pm

"I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Blithe Spirit extended through the end of the summer."

It won't extend.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#63re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 2:46pm

They could always do what they did with Next to Normal, move to an empty theater after group tickets went out. If the Little Mermaid does very well over the summer,which it should,they could always move the Addams Family to another Nederlander theater

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#64re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 2:52pm

N2N had a planned arrangement that if the Booth opened to move in.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#65re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 2:58pm

Well how do we know if they have another plan. I mean there is still over 9 months til the show starts previews. Shows can close by then.

BroadwayBound115
#66re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:03pm

Everything will work out in the end. It will make some people happy and it will make some people upset. However, Broadway will go on if Little Mermaid switches or closes and the Addams family will be put in a theater.

Fosse76
#67re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:10pm

"No, it's selling tickets for a theatre similar to the Lunt. I'd compare and contrast it with the other Nederlander theatres, but I don't really care to."

Well, I did. Only 5 Nederlander Theaters have what is referred to as a Rear Mezzanine. Of those five, only one has a Row N, the last row for sale on the linked website.

The Gershwin and Brooks-Atkinson go as far back as M...and we know the Gershwin is unavailable, and Rock of Ages looks like it should last though next year at the Brooks-Atkinson.

The Richard Rodgers only goes back as far as Row H and The Nederlander doesn't renumber the rows to differentiate the Rear from the Front mez...which are double lettered.

The Palace, Marquis, Minskoff, and Neil Simon don't have a Rear Mezzanine.

Only the Lunt-Fontanne has a Rear Mezzanine that goes up to Row N and matches the seats available for purchase through that website.

So by deduction, it's going into the Lunt-Fontanne. The numbering of the seats in the other theaters doesn't allow for an easy transfer (i.e., they can't just assign the same seats in another theater because they won't match up), so it's a pretty safe bet that it's going into the Lunt-Fontanne.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#68re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:14pm

I don't know. I just know that every time I see one of those "The Mermaid Effect" posters around town I want to take a red marker and draw blood pouring out of the aghast little girl's eyes, ears, and mouth.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

BroadwayBound115
#69re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:22pm

For us out-of-towners, could one possibly post a picture of "The Mermaid Effect" poster?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#70re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:52pm

It's just a very normal, white girl with wide eyes and a big smile, and the logo for the show with the words "the Mermaid effect" above it. It's pretty stupid, but then again the Little Mermaid is all kinds of awful, so I expect nothing less.

If you haven't seen the Mermaid, don't sit in the first couple of rows because the shoddiness of it all is exposed pretty badly: flimsily sets, bad performances, unmemorable tunes (the new songs).

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#71re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:54pm

I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced about The Addams Family moving into the Lunt until it is announced.

I think one of the reasons that Little Mermaid can go over well is because it is a "Princess" musical. Like Beauty And The Beast, The Little Mermaid can stand well. I don't wish Mary Poppins to close. The New Amsterdam is too big for Mermaid to move into.

I'm not suggesting this, or do I think its a good idea. It's just a ***highly unlikely*** possibility, but Mary could close, Lion King and go back to the Amsterdam, and Little Mermaid either stays in the Lunt, or moves to the Minskoff for The Addams Family to move into the Lunt

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#72re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:55pm

Blah blah blah. And some refused to believe West Side Story was taking the Palace.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#73re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 3:57pm

Denial... it isn't just a river in Egypt.

Fosse76
#74re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/27/09 at 4:03pm

"I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced about The Addams Family moving into the Lunt until it is announced."

Maybe not, but the evidence points ONLY to the Lunt-Fontanne, since no other Nederlander house has the same seating patterns being sold as group sales.

Videos