pixeltracker

Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30- Page 3

Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#50re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:37pm

Ben Brantley is dancing down the streets of New York right now. (if someone sees him, get a picture for us!)

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Disney has other ways to make money.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#51re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:43pm

I would really like to see Aladdin on Broadway. Though, I'd rather Menken write the lyrics for the new songs if Tim Rice is unavailable. Jasmine's new song, "To Be Free", in the California Adventure show is way better than anything Slater provided for Mermaid.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#52re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:44pm

Disney should just bring in "Hunchback"

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#53re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:47pm

This was a flawed show, but I liked it and am glad it I was lucky enough to see it on one of my trips. If I lived in NYC I would definitely see it again before it goes...

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#54re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:55pm

-- "The Little Mermaid will have played 50 previews and 685 performances by the time it closes."

That's 735 performances too many.

Disney had a perfect gem in "The Little Mermaid" (the film) and could have worked magic with it on stage. Instead, we got this travesty. Thomas Schumacher should be ashamed of himself.

crushgroove
#55re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:55pm

I don't understand how this show hasn't re-couped...in the article it says it it has made $78 million to date...how much did this show cost to mount?

I'm still not sure why it's closing...it made $863,000+ this past week...which is pretty good right?

I mean I have no interest in seeing the show cause it's crap...but kids apparently love it...

Mary Poppins made 20,000 less this week...doesn't really make much sense. Updated On: 6/30/09 at 06:55 PM

broadway122 Profile Photo
broadway122
#56re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 6:56pm

I agree with rosscoe(au). Bring in Hunchback, I was never a fan of Aladdin as a kid.

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#57re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:10pm

"Disney had a perfect gem in "The Little Mermaid" (the film) and could have worked magic with it on stage. Instead, we got this travesty. Thomas Schumacher should be ashamed of himself."

I completely and utterly agree. When it was first announced, I was thrilled. I figured that Disney planned on making up for the sh*tshow that was Tarzan, but apparently they just wanted to turn it blue.

If Disney does another musical, it should be Hunchback. The German production was (is?) wonderful.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#58re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:33pm

It's closing on my Birthday. Thanks for the wonderful present Disney. What a pile of crap.

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#59re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:36pm

I thought the show was OK, but based on the material they could have done so much more.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#60re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:39pm

I honestly thought it would have had a longer run than this, but come on, it's going to have through-the-roof success on tour so even fans of the show can fall back on that.

Me? I'm looking forward to it being revived twenty years from now. That way we can still hear the amazing music (including the new additions, most of which I find lovely) without having to look at that dreadful set with its plastic coves and Christmas light props. Hopefully then it will have a director, set designer and costumer who can live up to the show's potential.

"Mermaid" wasn't a bad show. It had an amazing cast (and most of the current replacements are quite good) and, as stated previously, beautiful melodies...but there were just so many things wrong with it that I could never really like the show either.

CATSNYrevival
#61re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:42pm

I don't think Hunchback would find an audience. It's not really for the younger kids and if they made it more kid friendly the adults may turn on it.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#62re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:42pm

Oh, and I'm all for bringing "Hunchback" to Broadway as long as they change the unnecessary, atrocious dark ending that brings down the otherwise amazing overseas stage production.

And, knowing that this is Disney on Broadway, I'm guessing they will. So yay!
Updated On: 6/30/09 at 07:42 PM

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#63re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 7:59pm

I don't understand how this show hasn't re-couped...in the article it says it it has made $78 million to date...how much did this show cost to mount?

Thats got to be grosses, not profit.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#64re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 8:06pm

B&B Christmas...

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#65re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 8:06pm

TLM was a hot mess on wheels. I've seen better drag shows. Rest in peace tragic hot mess. They destroyed a classic on that stage. There was so much possibility that they just desecrated with the same tacky production values that plagued Tarzan.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 6/30/09 at 08:06 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#66re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 8:07pm

I feel sorry for the cast but I'm not really sad to see this show go. The only thing good about it was the score. The cast did the best they could with the horrible direction and choreography they were given. Hopefully it'll be revived in the future with better sets, costumes, a re-tooled book, and a director who can do justice to the material.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 6/30/09 at 08:07 PM

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#67re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 8:07pm

That is what I'm thinking Neverandy.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#68re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 8:24pm

It would make sense. Costs would be minimal (existing sets and costumes from one of any number of the international productions that have been staged since 94) compared to the potential money that could be made (Grinch, White Christmas,etc.)

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#69re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 8:30pm

I would think they would do it based off of 'Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas' from 1997.

re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30

The big question is will Steve Blanchard don the makeup again?
Updated On: 6/30/09 at 08:30 PM

CATSNYrevival
#70re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:06pm

They're talking about bringing Beauty and the Beast back for Christmas. Not mounting a stage adaptation of Enchanted Christmas. Personally, I don't see that happening with the forthcoming non-equity national tour. Seems like they wouldn't have allowed a tour if they were planning on bringing the show back to New York anytime soon.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#71re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:09pm

Isn't it kinda too soon to bring it back? I loved the show, but let it come back later with bigger hype.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

LoveIsCompany
#72re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:13pm

Yes, they're bringing back Beauty & The Beast and throwing in a Christmas number. Expect it to be a seasonal show starting this next season.

LoveIsCompany
#73re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:13pm

Yes, they're bringing back Beauty & The Beast and throwing in a Christmas number. Expect it to be a seasonal show starting this next season.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#74re: Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID To Close On Broadway 8/30
Posted: 6/30/09 at 9:21pm

Um...OK.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Videos