pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 30

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#725Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:39pm

Wow, I think Shields being put in Lead really helps his chances, actually. I hope either he or Dave Hearn (or both!) get a nomination very badly. 

Kimbo
#726Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 2:28pm

Robbie2 said: "Amelie along with A Bronx Tale & Charlie and the Chocolate Facfory... I predict no Tony nominations!"

I can see Borle getting nominated for Charlie rather than Falsettos, simply because it's the one running. I can also see his two performances splitting the vote and leaving him out altogether, allowing Corey Cott to easily make the cut. I feel like Amelie will get something minor- a design nom, or orchestrations.

Either way, if my money were on which show is most likely to have a complete snub, it would be A Bronx Tale. They may still get one somehow (Cordero? Choreography?). But there just seems to be no love for it in the industry - not hatred either, but a fair amount of snootiness and a whole lot of shrugging. My sense is that no one really was crazy about it enough to fight for any of its elements over shows they loved much more or at least found more ambitious and interesting, and the general sense will be "It's found its audience, it's doing fine, and in this jam-packed season for a so-so show that's reward enough."  (The same thinking may apply to Anastasia as well, but I expect it to be nominated for a couple things as well- Score, Actress, or Featured Actress, etc.)

10086sunset
little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#728Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:25pm

Why don't any of these people predicting the nominations know there are only 4 nominees for Best Play and Best Musical?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

froote
#729Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:28pm

Well to be fair, it's a strong season for both new musicals and new plays and I could see 5 being the case this year. I know it's down to the difference in votes but it could easily happen.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#730Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:33pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "I wonder how they decided on Henry for Leading. I thought he was very good but his role didn't seem any larger than the rest of the cast. 

"

I was surprised to see that too, but I think it makes sense – Leading Actor is a less competitive category this year, and I think that the fact that his character "frames" the play (ie, he does the speech at the top of each act) makes his part seem slightly larger than the rest of the cast. Plus, he and Dave Hearn gave the most memorable performances in my personal opinion, which elevates them in my mind, too. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#731Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 8:02am

After seeing Oslo last night I hope Anthony Azizi and Michael Aronov do not cancel each other out with the Tony voters, because both were tremendous. In fact, I think it's ridiculous both of them are not up for Leading Actor in a Play, because they were onstage for an incredible amount of time and their story becomes the heart of the play. People around me were crying when both of them walked out to the White House ceremony together. 

little_sally
#732Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 8:48am

I agree about Azizi and Aronov but it looks like Azizi won't be nominated, which is a damn shame. I said to a friend that they should've petitioned him leading too

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#733Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 1:51pm

Azizi and Aronov are both very good in Oslo, but I'd rather see Azizi get nominated if only one of them do. Aronov has the flashier role, but I still preferred Azizi. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#734Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 2:41pm

One thing I'm not looking forward to is The Frank DiLella Show Starring Frank DiLella taking part in the NY1 Tony Awards coverage Tuesday morning. I love when it's just Pat and Roma covering the nominations, and Frank has just mentioned on his show (aka OnStage) that he'll be joining them on Tuesday morning. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

MadsonMelo
#735Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 3:41pm

Field can't be nominated, I bet against her and I can't lose lol

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#736Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:10pm

And The Tony Nods Go To…. T2C’s Predictions

http://t2conline.com/and-the-tony-nods-go-to-t2cs-predictions/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#737Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:39pm

Kind of surprised to see so many people suggesting there will be 5 this year. 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#738Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:54pm

thealtoslament said: "Kind of surprised to see so many people suggesting there will be 5 this year. 

"

It makes sense considering this season is super crowded

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

little_sally
#739Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 8:17pm

I also think it's exciting all of the potential Best Play nominees, Oslo, Sweat, A Doll's House, Part 2, and Indecent, could all conceivably win. I can't remember the last season we had such a strong slate of nominees.

Updated On: 4/29/17 at 08:17 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#740Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 8:54pm

I'm surprised by all the Anastasia love.  It got mediocre reviews and I found it to be a poor adaption of the movie (which I love).  I'm just surprised to see it on so many people's predictions for best musical and score.  IMO, War Paint and Bandstand were superior musicals.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#741Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 10:48pm

icecreambenjamin said: "I'm surprised by all the Anastasia love.  It got mediocre reviews and I found it to be a poor adaption of the movie (which I love).  I'm just surprised to see it on so many people's predictions for best musical and score.  IMO, War Paint and Bandstand were superior musicals.

"I hear ya...highly doubt Anastasia will be nominated for Best Musical or Score!

Predict:

MUSICAL

Great Comet

DEH

ComeFromAway

Groundhog Day

SCORE

Great Comet

DEH

Groundhog Day

ComeFromAway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#742Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/29/17 at 11:21pm

Choreography

Bandstand

ComeFromAway

Great Comet

Groundhog Day

Holiday Inn

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#743Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 1:32am

I have an odd feeling COME FROM AWAY will take  it.

Just give the world Love.

icecreambenjamin
#744Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 1:55am

uncageg said: "I have an odd feeling COME FROM AWAY will take  it.

Take what? Best Musical?  I do too and I really don't think it deserves it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but it's still pretty sappy and fluffy IMO (especially considering the subject matter).  I also think the score is pretty weak, also, but I think most people are blinded by the optimistic attitude, strong (though at times confusing) direction, and brilliant, energetic cast.  I know that I'm in the minority here, but it is true.

froote
#745Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 3:03am

I just have a feeling about Anastasia surprising people on Tony nom morning. If Aladdin can get 5 nominations including best musical and best score, then I don't think it'd be so surprising if Anastasia ended up with something similar.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#746Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 4:05am

Exactly what froote said.

The thing about Anastasia that so many people are overlooking is that it's the Aladdin of the season. It's the family friendly known title that is going to be pulling in the mid 20 to early 30 something crowd with children looking to introduce them to a property that they have a nostalgia for as well as the school groups that can't get tickets for Lion King or Aladdin. It's going to do VERY well on the road as well for the same reason. It's going to be a big money maker with touring and tourists in the long run no matter WHAT the reviews were on it. So many people are going to simply see the words "Based on the movie Anastasia" and they are sold at once. There are always are those on the committee thinking about the future a show has on the road. That's why I think that there is going to be 5 shows. 4 for the ones that they vote there on merit (my predictions are Come From Away, Evan Hansen, Great Comet, and Groundhog Day) and then Anastasia slips in close enough to activate the 5th slot rule.

cam5y
#747Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 8:06am

icecreambenjamin said: "uncageg said: "I have an odd feeling COME FROM AWAY will take  it.

Take what? Best Musical?  I do too and I really don't think it deserves it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, but it's still pretty sappy and fluffy IMO (especially considering the subject matter).  I also think the score is pretty weak, also, but I think most people are blinded by the optimistic attitude, strong (though at times confusing) direction, and brilliant, energetic cast.  I know that I'm in the minority here, but it is true.
"

It is true in your opinion. Come From Away is an earnest show (call it sappy if you like) and it doesn't tackle 9/11 head on, but that's not what the show is about. I think its score is stronger than Great Comet's and DEH's books. None of the front-runner musicals this year is perfect, they all have different strengths and weaknesses. For me, Come From Away is somehow greater than the sum of its parts and I'd be delighted to see it win. 

ForB4
#748Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 10:40am

icecreambenjamin said: "I'm surprised by all the Anastasia love.  It got mediocre reviews and I found it to be a poor adaption of the movie (which I love).  I'm just surprised to see it on so many people's predictions for best musical and score.  IMO, War Paint and Bandstand were superior musicals.

"

I can see the fifth slot going to either War Paint or Anastasia. I thought Bandstand was the definition of mediocre.

icecreambenjamin
#749Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 10:58am

I mean, I thought Bandstand was mediocre also, but I was just really disappointed by Anastasia.  I would also like to remind everyone that Aladdin was nominated in a slightly weaker year and was just a better show, overall. 

Videos