nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#725Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:33am

I enjoyed Come From Away more then Dear Evan Hansen

C.Jack
#726Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:55am

CorkySt.Clair said: "In my age group, I think I am a walking unpopular opinion...mostly everyone I know is only into the uber-popular shows, while I enjoy older, more serious shows shows like Gypsy, Ragtime and anything Sondheim. This frustration has been a major turnoff for me to discovering these mega shows (I do really like Rent and Hamilton though). But I can also not abide bad lyricism and clichè sentiment (which the majority of them seem to have gobs of). 

"

AMEN. I am 15 and  all everyone talks like wicked, Hamilton, Heathers, and DEH are the only musicals ever created. It really bothers me when they say "ew" whenever I mention older shows like Folllies, Carousel, or Sweeney. It is so annoying lmao. 

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#727Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 12:07pm

^ Hi C.Jack! So nice to find someone who agrees with this! Honestly, this feeling is the main reason I joined he boards. I think I'm yet to meet one person my age (minus a couple of my friends) who knows of/likes any show before the late eighties (Phantom and Les Miz, basically), in addition to the more modern things you mentioned. My biggest pipe dream is for all the teen idol theater stars to get put in a bunch of classic shows so their fanbase becomes aware of all the theatre has to offer....and also so that my"theatre friends" don't look at me in confusion when I start singing "Getting Married Today" Unpopular Opinions

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#728Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 12:37pm

N. Wratch said: "Denée Benton's soprano falls flat."

She did absolutely nothing for me.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#729Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 12:37pm

nightnic001 said: "I enjoyed Come From Away more then Dear Evan Hansen"

Me too.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#730Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 1:02pm

I dont know if this is an unpopular opinion, but i am really starting to get annoyed at the group of rather young theater fans who only listen to Be More Chill Hamilton Heathers and Dear Evan Hansen. I'm not against those shows, but would it hurt to take a look at some other stuff?

deathofacatler
#731Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 3:01pm

TheThreadMaster said: "I dont know if this is an unpopular opinion, but i am really starting to get annoyed at the group of rather young theater fans who only listen to Be More Chill Hamilton Heathers and Dear Evan Hansen. I'm not against those shows, but would it hurt to take a look at some other stuff?

"

I must say I agree, while I was definitely that type of fan a while ago, there's a lot more (and better, in my opinion) things out there. And since this is an unpopular opinion board, it's worth mentioning that I cannot stand be more chill and heathers. I don't know why!

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 03:01 PM

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#732Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 3:06pm

I enjoyed all 3 of the other shows nominated for best musical more than DEH. Much more.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#733Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 4:10pm

Amen to the BMC/Heathers/DEH/Hamilton fanbase's irritating fans. It adds even more fuel to the fire whenever I see someone regard BMC as the "best musical ever!!" That unpolished thing with an awkward story and a clunky score? If that's what you can regard as one of the best musicals ever, have I got news for you! I personally really enjoy Heathers, DEH, and Hamilton, but the overexposure and tweenage fanatics are a bit of a bother. And I genuinely hate when those teen fans refuse to listen to older shows or even give them a slightest hint of a chance. I was pretty mad when everyone was giving Dolly grief bc Falsettos and GC didn't win (both amazing shows in their own right). 

ashley0139
#734Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:21pm

theaterguy11 said: "Ben Platt is abysmally miscast in Dear Evan Hansen. He should be playing the Will Roland role or nothing at all. Platt remains one of my least favorite performers I've ever seen, and I believe is only cast to win favor with his very powerful father Marc. 

"

How did I not know he was Marc Platt's son.  I can't believe I never put that together.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#735Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:34pm

Ranking of best musical nominees this year...

1. Come From Away

2. Dear Evan Hansen

3/4. Groundhog Day/Comet. (Upon second viewing of Groundhog I enjoyed it much less and it was less magical, but I still had a good time. Comet's score has grown on me since Ive seen it)

whereishubert
#736Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:35pm

Same

Margo319
#737Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:36pm

Can't stand Bette Midler.  She is annoying, over-rated, and embarrassing.  

Oh, and Beanie Feldstein happens to be Jonah Hill's sister.  I think that's how she got the part in Dolly because she is so goddamn average.

This thread is PERFECT for my opinions because people can't attack me for them.  What a breath of fresh air!!

Nycat63
#738Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:36pm

Ok I'm just going to admit it.  I had an absolute blast at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Because of Christian Borle (and Jackie Hoffman was a bonus) and my presumption of "what could possibly go wrong", I bought full price tickets well before previews (don't live in NY and have to plan in advance). Then the reviews started coming in and I prepared for the absolute worst - I didn't sell the tickets as I would have taken a beating, and there was still the Borle factor.   And against my better judgment, I kind of loved it.  

There, I said it.  

Margo319
#739Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:39pm

Brave soul!  Respect! smileyyesheart

thedrybandit
#740Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:44pm

Nycat63 said: "Ok I'm just going to admit it.  I had an absolute blast at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Because of Christian Borle (and Jackie Hoffman was a bonus) and my presumption of "what could possibly go wrong", I bought full price tickets well before previews (don't live in NY and have to plan in advance). Then the reviews started coming in and I prepared for the absolute worst - I didn't sell the tickets as I would have taken a beating, and there was still the Borle factor.   And against my better judgment, I kind of loved it.  

There, I said it.
"

I ended up with free tickets a while back and went in expecting a train wreck. My fiancee and I both loved it for what it is. It certainly isn't an amazing show and has plenty of issues but it was one hell of a fun night out. You're not the only one who liked it! :P

I will say I actually didn't like Borle in it at all though. I'm not sure if it was him or the show's characterization of Wonka. That's where my opinion will differ from yours, but it was fun!

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#741Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 5:47pm

The "Evita" revival wasn't awful. Yeah, Elena was just serviceable but I didn't find any of it to be unbearable. I quite liked it. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#742Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 6:04pm

I think I'm one of the few people who think that The Great Comet and Dear Evan Hansen are equally great shows and were both worthy of the Tony for Best Musical.

Falsettos is a better musical than Hello, Dolly!, but Hello, Dolly! was the better production (even if the cast of Falsettos was phenomenal).

To further that topic, James Lapine needs to stop revisiting his old projects.  He always finds a way of hurting them.  It's like he has no respect for his own work.

This revival of Miss Saigon feels like a glorified strip show/sleazy tourist trap, even if Eva Noblezada and Jon Jon Briones are both stunning.

Come From Away would benefit more from being a play, underscored by music.  I don't have a problem with the book really, but the score is pretty atrocious and the whole show seems to always come to a screeching halt whenever a song starts.  I just feel like the songs hurt the flow of the show.

I think most of the Dear Evan Hansen backlash comes from it's hype.  Those who saw the show before the cast album and before it blew up seem to enjoy it more.

Be More Chill is the worst musical ever written.

Btw, I hope that London production of Dreamgirls doesn't transfer because it was a hot mess and Amber Riley doesn't do anything with the part of Effie that hasn't already been seen a million times before.

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#743Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 6:45pm

To add to what I said previously, steam was coming out of my ears when I read fanpage instagram comments saying "Yeah I guess Dear Evan Hansen is pretty good but it totally robbed Falsettos" "Falsettos was so robbed!" "I can't believe Dear Evan Hansen beat Falsettos" 

Tandrews
#744Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 6:51pm

Titanic the Musical is vastly underrated! Won Tony's but still doesn't get the love it deserves! 

pg1287
#745Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:30pm

1. I HATED Matilda

2. After seeing Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away and Kinky Boots on my last trip I can say that Dear Evan Hansen was my least favorite (still enjoyed it a lot, but overrated)

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#746Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:41pm

I hated Honeymoon in Vegas. 

I actually prefer the movie music recording of the Last 5 Years more than both Off Broadway's. I think Anna's voice fits perfectly for Cathy!

I prefer Betsy Wolfe to Jessie Mueller in Waitress. I preferred Ciara Renee to Patina Miller in Pippin. 

Wasnt wowed by Newsies

I enjoyed Marla Phillips more than Alice Ripley and Marin Mazzie in N2N

Seeing You is the only good/listenable song in Groundhog Day

I loved Taye Diggs in Hedwig. loved.

Hated the recent Fiddler revival 

I can't say that this a unpopular opinion but Significant Other should still be running and Gideon shouldve been nominated for a Tony. thanks. 

ArtMan
#747Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:53pm

I don't get the love for the current Hello Dolly revival.  I saw it.  I was entertained.  I have no desire to see it again and certainly not multiple times. And those prices?  No way!!!!!

Nycat63
#748Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 8:53pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I think I'm one of the few people who think that The Great Comet and Dear Evan Hansen are equally great shows and were both worthy of the Tony for Best Musical.

I would be in that minority with you.  I thought Comet was brilliant and did not understand the lack of Tony wins.  

Another unpopular opinion I hold - didn't get the hype over Rachel Bay Jones in DEH.  Not an anti-DEH or RBJ sentiment in any way - I thought she was excellent and am a fan of the show and the score (any issues I have are with the book and the way it was "marketed"Unpopular Opinions                                                                 - just didn't think it was necessarily Tony-worthy.  

"

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#749Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/14/17 at 9:00pm

I absolutely loathed Newsies with a burning passion.

Also, I love Hamilton, but Fun Home is the best musical of this decade so far, if not the best musical of this century.

On the topic of Hamilton, it has probably one of my least favorite opening numbers of all time.

War Paint is better than Groundhog Day.  Also, I don't understand why people love Karl's performance so much.  It's a perfectly competent performance, but other then him being charismatic and handsome, I don't see what's so special.

Videos