pixeltracker

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22 - Page 30

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#725Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 1:37am

Steven A2 said: "Um, the pressure to be married at age 35 is far more relevant and common for a female than it is for a male. If anything this core plotline works better in this version."

It may be more common for women but there’s no reason to simultaneously diminish the pressure men feel to settle down as well. All genders experience varying levels of pressure from friends and family. That’s why the show has always worked. It was always relevant.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#726Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 2:19am

luisacontini said: "Also heard that Jennifer Simard is likely Sarah, which would be incredible if true!"

She was soooo funny in Dolly!! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#727Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 9:03am

Steven A2 said: ""One could argue whether the issues Bobby faces are equally true for both genders and therefore whether a female lead works as well"

Um, the pressure to be married at age 35 is far more relevant and common for a female than it is for a male. If anything this core plotline works better in this version.
"

There's more going on with Bobby than pressure to get married. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#728Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 10:16am

I know its a show thats been around for quite some time, but for someone who is trying to go in relatively fresh and isn't familiar with the material, is there more a straight up comedy? Or a comedy with drama in it, or vice versa? I understand that may be hard to get into without spoilers, but if possible, I'm just curious what the tone of this show is. Seems at least deep on the surface from what Ive briefly read about characters on here, but the London Promo doesn't give me a great feel for the tone of this show at all. Just curious! 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#729Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 10:23am

If you watched the John Doyle production you’d think it was a Shakespearean tragedy with a bit of comedy on the side. But this production is very much a comedy first with some occasional more serious moments on the side (but not too serious). Despite being a musical comedy of course the music, characters and dialogue are high quality though. It’s not a shallow frivolous ‘musical comedy’ the way we might consider say Anything Goes.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#730Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 10:27am

It's one of Sondheim's funniest shows, but yes with a dark undercurrent to it. He and Prince said they wanted the audience laughing non-stop throughout the show and then go home and not be able to sleep. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#731Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 10:41am

Does this production feature "Tick Tock"?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#732Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 10:44am

ACL2006 said: "Does this production feature "Tick Tock"?"

Yes.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#733Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 10:47am

It has a section called ‘tick tock’ with brand new music but I’m not really sure if it really is what you are thinking of when you say ‘tick tock’. After sleeping with Andy while dreaming Bobbi essentially has a nightmare of what it will be like to be married and have children. The ensemble does most of the work here.

Mike Barrett
#734Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 11:00am

Got it, ill expect more of a sophisticated comedy here. Sounds perfect for the cast that seems to be coming together. Thanks for the help both of you! 

Steven A2
#735Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 12:53pm

joevitus said: "Steven A2 said: ""One could argue whether the issues Bobby faces are equally true for both genders and therefore whether a female lead works as well"

Um, the pressure to be married at age 35 is far more relevant and common for a female than it is for a male. If anything this core plotline works better in this version.
"

There's more going on with Bobby than pressure to get married.
"

Yes, but that is a core theme of the show and many if not most of the London production reviews noted, the ticking clock has even more relevance for a woman and childbirth.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#736Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 3:04pm

The productions social media has been posting clips of Marianne raving about Lenk. in the new one she mentions her “New York feel.” I wonder if that was one of the concerns about Rosalie, not being believable as a New York woman in a show about the city playing in the city.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#737Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/19/19 at 11:09pm

TIck-Tock re-conceptualized to address the biological clock is a pretty brilliant reconfiguration of the material for a female lead. I'm expecting some things are going to work really well, others not. But classic Sondheim shows always took chances, so I'm all for a production taking new chances with its approach. I look forward to a new cast recording, and maybe filmed for home entertainment, as the Raul Esparza production was.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#738Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/26/19 at 5:30pm

So... Simard as Sarah
Matt Doyle as Jamie
Claybourne Elder as Andy

Any other rumors?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#739Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/28/19 at 10:18am

Valentina3 said: "So... Simard asSarah
Matt Doyle as Jamie
Claybourne Elder as Andy

Any other rumors?
"

Chris Sieber as Harry

Judy Mclane as Sarah.

Ethan Slater as Theo(Kathy role).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#740Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/28/19 at 11:39am

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS. Amex tickets are available 10/3!

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#741Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/29/19 at 10:36am

The best part about having an end of March birthday! I can’t wait to see this!

brettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
#742Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 9/29/19 at 3:54pm

Hoping for some diversity in the principle cast. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#743Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 7:17am

Amex presale tickets are on sale at 10am ET today!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#744Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 7:34am

steven22 said: "Amex presale tickets are on sale at 10am ET today!"

10 a.m. tomorrow, Thursday, 10/3.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#745Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 7:50am

Oops! Me waking up thinking it's Thursday...

benfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
#746Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 11:10am

Forgive me for the ignorance, but what does AMEX tickets mean? Are these different than normal tickets? And if so when do the normal tickets go on sale

Mike Barrett
#747Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 11:13am

benfox2 said: "Forgive me for the ignorance, but what does AMEX tickets mean? Are these different than normal tickets? And if so when do the normal tickets go on sale"

AMEX means American Express card holders. They have a pre-sale for AMEX card holders then general on sale is the 21st! 

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#748Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 11:32am

There is also a pre-sale for Audience Rewards members that starts October 14.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

benfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
#749Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!
Posted: 10/2/19 at 12:46pm

Mike Barrett said: "benfox2 said: "Forgive me for the ignorance, but what does AMEX tickets mean? Are these different than normal tickets? And if so when do the normal tickets go on sale"

AMEX means American Express card holders. They have a pre-sale for AMEX card holders then general on sale is the 21st!
"

Ah that makes sense! Thank you!

Videos