pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 31

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

bk
#750SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 1:41am

Lola Getz2 said: "Roscoe said: "There's probably some contractual reason somewhere for this, but shouldn't there be a credit somewhere along the lines of "based on the screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond"? Considering how very much of their dialogue made the transfer from screen to stage, to say nothing of all those character names..."

I found that rather shocking as well, so I did some digging.

According to the interwebs:This work is in the public domain because it waspublished in the United States between 1927 and 1963, and although there may or may not have been a copyright notice, the copyright was not renewed.
"

I have no idea what site you're looking at, but Some Like it Hot has never been in the public domain. It's owned by MGM/UA (now Amazon). If the film were in the public domain like Charade and a few others of that era, anyone could release it on DVD or Blu-ray or anything else. But it is not in the public domain, which is why the program says "based on the MGM movie" or whatever it says - of course, that's a misnomer as it wasn't an MGM movie  it was a United Artists movie. I believe the length of copyright at the time of Some Like it Hot was seventy-five years and I'm sure that was renewed when it was extended. It has NEVER gone out of copyright. As to why Mr. Wilder and Mr. Diamond's screenplay is not credited, I should think their estates would have a good case to sue.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#751SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 5:27am

“Based on the screenplay "Some Like it Hot" by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond; Suggested by a story by Robert Thoeren; Additional Material by Christian Borle and Joe Farrell.” 

People are being credited despite this weird claim. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#752SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 9:30am

By the way, noting that photo of empty seats: the matinee was not on TDF. Only the evening. Genuinely baffled as to why they'd rather play to a half-empty house this week, especially a matinee, which is invariably filled with happy holiday folk.

Crowds heretofore indifferent will not suddenly find the show at the TKTS booth. Nothing is up on TDF for next week or beyond, and it's woefully undersold.  I understand taking care of a brand, fearing that heavy discounting will damage futures. But this show's struggles are now life or death.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#753SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 9:54am

I wonder if they would have been better off picking a smaller theater?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

hearthemsing22
#754SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 9:56am

ACL2006 said: "I wonder if they would have been better off picking a smaller theater?"

Perhaps the Music Box?

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#755SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 9:59am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "“Based on the screenplay "Some Like it Hot" by Billy Wilderand I.A.L. Diamond; Suggested by a story byRobert Thoeren; Additional Material by Christian Borleand Joe Farrell.”

"

I stand corrected. I just googled Public Domain Some Like it Hot and that is what popped up. 

I guess you really CAN'T trust everything you read on the web. LOL. 

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#756SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 10:27am

Jesus, this is a disaster. What went wrong with here?

ivy3
#757SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 11:12am

JSquared2 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Natasha Yvette Williams has been out for a few days. I really hope she doesn't have COVID. I'm seeing the show on Christmas Eve and she is one the people I've been most excited to see."

She posted on her IG today that she's on Good Morning America tomorrow --- so it sounds like it's not Covid.

"

Her GMA appearance was recorded last week. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#758SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 7:28pm

At the show now and Natasha is in tonight. 

Tjlovesmusicals
#759SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 7:55pm

Auggie27 said: "By the way, noting that photo of empty seats: the matinee was not on TDF. Only the evening. Genuinely baffled as to why they'd rather play to a half-empty house this week, especially a matinee, which is invariably filled with happy holiday folk.

Crowds heretofore indifferent will not suddenly find the show at the TKTS booth. Nothing is up on TDF for next week or beyond, and it's woefully undersold. I understand taking care of a brand, fearing that heavy discounting will damage futures. But this show's struggles are now life or death.
"

I had matinee tickets through tdf, they just must have gone quickly. We were in the rear orchestra!

bk
#760SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 1:06pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "“Based on the screenplay "Some Like it Hot" by Billy Wilderand I.A.L. Diamond; Suggested by a story byRobert Thoeren; Additional Material by Christian Borleand Joe Farrell.”

"

So, someone here posted there was no credit and yet there is credit. Can some kind soul explain to me why someone would post erroneous information like that?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#761SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 3:08pm

bk said: "
So, someone here posted there was no credit and yet there is credit. Can some kind soul explain to me why someone would post erroneous information like that?"

Reading is hard

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#762SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 4:36pm

inception said: "bk said: "
So, someone here posted there was no credit and yet there is credit. Can some kind soul explain to me why someone would post erroneous information like that?"

Reading is hard
"

No separate credit for Wilder or Diamond just the blanket credit of "Based on the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer motion picture, "Some Like it Hot".

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

Updated On: 12/24/22 at 04:36 PM

CarlosAlberto
#763SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 4:46pm

"Sugar" whose title was eventually changed to "Some Like it Hot: The Musical" [I'm guessing it now has to revert itself back to being called "Sugar"] credited Wilder and Diamond directly.

Updated On: 12/24/22 at 04:46 PM

FranklinDickson2018
#764SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 6:32pm

Was "Sugar" renamed "Some Like it Hot, the Musical" for anything other than the 2002 Tony Curtis tour?  I think it was referred to as "Sugar"  for subsequent productions.   So not an official title change except for this one touring production? 

CarlosAlberto
#765SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 7:59pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "Was "Sugar" renamed "Some Like it Hot, the Musical" for anything other than the 2002 Tony Curtis tour? I think it was referred to as "Sugar" for subsequent productions. So not an official title change except for this one touring production?

That's a great question. I'm not sure. "Here's Love", Meredith Willson's 1963 musical re-imagining of "Miracle on 34th Street" also underwent a name change at one point to: "Miracle on 34th Street - The Musical." Happily, "Promises, Promises" the musical adaptation of Wilder and Diamond's classic film, "The Apartment" did not suffer the same fate. 

"

bk
#766SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 4:23am

CarlosAlberto said: "inception said: "bk said: "

Reading is hard
"

No separate credit for Wilder or Diamond just the blanket credit of "Based on the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer motion picture, "Some Like it Hot".

"

So, where is the poster who posted THIS getting this information? "“Based on the screenplay "Some Like it Hot" by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond; Suggested by a story by Robert Thoeren; Additional Material by Christian Borle and Joe Farrell.” "

Someone is wrong - who is it?

djjd007
#767SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 4:07pm

The title was first changed from Sugar to SLIH for a 1993 UK production starring Tommy Steele (I think), which I found charming. I wonder if they had just paid for the film’s name for the original Bway version, it might have had more longevity. 
For Sunset Blvd., they just say “based on the Billy Wilder film” and Paramount is a producer, which seems in line with the credit on SLIH isn’t it? I imagine Sunset has far less new material as well. 

CarlosAlberto
#768SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 4:45pm

djjd007 said: "The title was first changed from Sugar to SLIH for a 1993 UK production starring Tommy Steele (I think), which I found charming. I wonder if they had just paid for the film’s name for the original Bway version, it might have had more longevity.

For Sunset Blvd., they just say “based on the Billy Wilder film” and Paramount is a producer, which seems in line with the credit on SLIH isn’t it? I imagine Sunset has far less new material as well."

CarlosAlberto
Jarethan
#770SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 9:19pm

Anyone know what role Curtis played.  Painfully old and out of shape for his original role.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#771SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 9:29pm

Jarethan said: "Anyone know what role Curtis played. Painfully old and out of shape for his original role."

Wikipedia says he played Osgood.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#772SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/26/22 at 11:34am

In regards to the credit conversation, I received my information from Broadway.org/the International Broadway Database.  

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

cliffordbradshaw2
#773SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/26/22 at 3:17pm

Tony Curtis as Osgood in "Some Like It Hot" 2002 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuTkmAcSJw

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#774SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/28/22 at 12:10am

Saw the show tonight in the orchestra. While I did have some issues with it - did Sugar need one ballad after another?! - overall I had a blast, and so did the full orchestra and I think full mezzanine. Casey's choreography can be a bit much at times, but I really thought it served the frantic nature of the storyline well. And the score was very hummable and made you want to bounce in your seat. What score can do that nowadays? Borle was fun and Ghee was a total showstopper, Hicks was lovely, and Del Aguila and Williams were delightful scene stealers.

I do wonder what the thought behind opening in December was. I think the show could do very well with word of mouth, but to open on the precipice of the slow Winter months, I do hope there's some reserve. If it could run slowly to make it to the Easter/spring break crowds, I see momentum building from there.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Videos