pixeltracker

New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?- Page 39

New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?

kylegfil_
#950New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 2:45pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Well, If it takes someone to have done 3 previous contracts prior to taking the role full time, I am not hopeful there will be a black actress as Elphaba any time soon. There is currently only 1 actress of color covering the role across both North American companies. The show should be going out of its way of moving a black actress through the understudy-standby-lead pipeline. Similar to Brittney Johnson’s experience playing Glinda."

This.  If the shut-down line to anyone (rightly) lamenting the lack of black actresses in the starring roles in this show whenever new white witches are cast is that so-and-so white person earned it after multiple standby/tour contracts (which is true), the obvious solution is that black women and women of color need to be put into the mix in those understudy/standby/principal contracts on tour (and should have been for the last several years) so that they ALSO have the opportunity to also become fan favorites and earn their way to the star dressing room at the Gershwin. 

But also, over the last few years specifically, there have been a number of brand new-to-the-show actresses that joined immediately as Broadway principal Elphaba, and a number of others who went straight from tour principal to Broadway principal.  When the show chooses to go this route, there's no reason the performers they put straight into the lead role cannot be black.  Saying that does not negate the talent of or how much any of the actresses they DID select deserved the role.

I've been a huge fan of this show for all of it's 20 years and fully believe everyone who has played Elphaba or Glinda has earned it/deserved it, Mary Kate Morrissey included - I don't see anyone saying she doesn't deserve it, because she does. But that does not change the fact that after twenty years and a dozen plus companies worldwide, there has only ever been one full-time black Elphaba in the world plus a very small number of black women who have covered this role.

I'm thrilled for these new company members and all of them are going to be great!

emlo99
#951New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 3:27pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Overdue my aśś. It’s been long overdue that they cast a black woman in the role full time. Just because she has happened to be the standby and was on tour with it, it shouldn’t come in the way of diversity. It’s also interesting it’s taken her five years to get here compared to Alyssa Fox which took her 13 years to get to the same position, I wonder what’s different about the two of them…"

Agree completely. There’s no reason to not hire a Black woman, so why haven’t they? It certainly is suspicious innit. However, I think we all know why. Look how long it took for a Black woman to be cast as a principal Nessarose.

Hopefully after Cynthia’s portrayal in the film, Telsey/Wicked Producers/whoever makes the final decision on the Broadway casting will begin to hire more Black actors for Elphaba.

hearthemsing22
#952New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 5:10pm

While it is awesome to promote tour leads, who can definitely carry a show and are without question talented, it is really annoying that they haven't realized how important it is that someone other than a white woman portray the role of Elphaba. I hope you're right emlo99! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#953New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 6:32pm

I don't know anything about the inner-workings of Wicked, but could the makeup design for the show dictate skin color of the actor?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#954New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 9:00pm

No, there is nothing in regards to the makeup that dictates the skin color of the performer.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#955New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/3/24 at 2:34pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I don't know anything about the inner-workings of Wicked, but could the makeup design for the show dictate skin color of the actor?"

Alexia Khadime played the role for years in the West End. Brandi Chavonne Massey and Saycon Sengbloh were understudy/standby for Years on Broadway. You can paint anyone Green, even if necessitates changing the products you need to use on a darker skin tone. 

Engineer Thuy
#956New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/5/24 at 11:41am

Christian Thompson and Tim Shew left the tour this weekend and was replaced by James Gish and Tom McGowan.

hearthemsing22
#957New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 2/5/24 at 12:37pm

Engineer Thuy said: "Christian Thompson and Tim Shew left the tour this weekend and was replaced by James Gish and Tom McGowan."

James Gish was just wonderful on Broadway. I'm so glad he's rejoining the show 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#958New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 8:16pm

Anyone at the show tonight? I’m eager to hear how Alexandra Socha is as Glinda. 

Ball of Buttah
#959New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 8:48pm

Mary Kate is very good tonight, Alex Socha is fantabulous! Wow! At intermission and she is definitely the highlight. 
Of note, one hour after opening they had to stop the play for "unforeseen circumstances" and continued after 10 minutes. Didn't affect the overall enjoyment so far. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#960New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:08pm

I need a review on Donna's debut!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Ball of Buttah
#961New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 11:35am

ACL2006 said: "I need a review on Donna's debut!"

I just thought she was okay in the beginning. A couple one-liners didn't land because the timing was off. But, she improved greatly in the second half. I think she'll build a more believable rapport with Glinda in the coming days. 
Also, we had a LOUD audience member in the back mezz hooting and hollering louder than the actors. Why?

hearthemsing22
#962New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 12:17pm

Ball of Buttah said: "ACL2006 said: "I need a review on Donna's debut!"

I just thought she was okay in the beginning. A couple one-liners didn't land because the timing was off. But, she improved greatly in the second half. I think she'll build a more believable rapport with Glinda in the coming days.
Also, we had a LOUD audience member in the back mezz hooting and hollering louder than the actors. Why?
"

I think those types of..overly enthusiastic audience members show up in full force during cast change performances. I want them to express themselves but can't they remember they're not the only ones there and people want to hear the performers? Save that stuff for the curtain call. And it's not necessary to cheer loudly before someone finishes a song either. Like during lift off in Defying Gravity- I want TO HEAR THAT For the love of God 

gordi_92
#963New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 5:07pm

Did they anounce the New leads for the Tour yet? I think they have their last Show on the 10th of March.

Call_me_jorge
#964New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 5:16pm

gordi_92 said: "Did they anounce the New leads for the Tour yet? I think they have their last Show on the 10th of March."

They are not leaving until May

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gordi_92
#965New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 5:38pm

Ups, I had March in my head. Probably mixed it up with the Broadway Castchange :D

Ensemble1704909160
#966New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 2:44am

I'm interested to see what happens with the tour. This next contract should include the LA stop unless they split it like they did in 2018. Wicked usually calls back veterans to lead the run. Last time, they split a typical year-long contract into two chunks. Jackie and Kara were back for three months to do San Diego, LA, and Salt Lake City before Mariand Torres and Erin Mackey were brought in for the rest of it. 

kylegfil_
#967New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 4:28pm

They dropped the glass bottle of green elixir in popular and it shattered everywhere.  Someone brought out a claw and picked up the larger pieces while they finished the scene but that was too much of a safety issue so they stopped the show between Popular and the classroom scene.

New cast overall is very good.  MK is a very special Elphaba - I cannot properly articulate why, there's just something incredibly heartfelt about every second she's onstage.  Gorgeous tone.

Alexandra was a surprise - McKenzie is the most hyper Glinda i've seen since maybe Megan Hilty, and Alexandra reminded me of a Jennifer Laura Thompson / Lindsay Northen type.  Much more grounded and 3D the whole time.  Some of the built in laugh lines didn't get the laughs they usually do, and then she'd break you two lines later on another line that may be considered more of a throwaway usually.  I really liked her.  Incredible in-depth acting in Act 2, specifically in Thank Goodness and For Good.

What really strikes me is how this romantic trio of MK/Alexandra/Jordan is how non-caricaturish all three of them are.  They feel very 3D and down to earth, which is a departure from some of the more over the top interpretations (not to say those don't have their place too, and not shading anyone at all - just a general directional thought).

Brad Oscar was very standard but really liked him.  Donna went up on several lines but she will find her footing, I liked her overall!  And Natalie Ortega is really good!  Nessa can sometimes get lost and she holds her own in my opinion.  Beautiful voice, with a nice little choice made in DTL.

Call_me_jorge
#968New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 1:38pm

Both Allie Trimm, Glinda standby, and longtime Production stage manager Marybeth Abel depart the show after today. Happy trails to both. Marybeth has been with the show for 15 years!

RWPrincess
#969New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 1:44pm

I wonder what Allie is doing next. She was the standby for a long time and I am still sad she did not become the principal Glinda.

Call_me_jorge
#970New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 1:52pm

I believe Allie was in workshops for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Could she be moving forward with that?

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#971New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 2:10pm

So they have a Morrible standby? Does Donna perform matinees ? Who is the new Glinda standby? Also what’s going on with Lissa? So many questions so little time 

Ensemble1704909160
#972New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 2:47pm

WldKingdomHM said: "So they have a Morrible standby? Does Donna perform matinees ? Who is the new Glinda standby? Also what’s going on with Lissa? So many questions so little time"

1) I haven't heard of Donna being out so far. I believe it's just extra protection, given her age. Michelle Pawk ended up missing a fair amount, and Wicked really doesn't like to put on ensemble covers.

2) Allison Bailey or Jennafer Newbury will be coming in to replace Allie. 

3) Lissa was sick this past week, and the show (again) has hesitated to give Emily Rogers more than one show at a time. I don't think she's even done two in a row. 

Keep an eye out on Allie, the tour is doing a full cast change in about a month.

A.J.
#973New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 3:08pm

Long-time Production Stage Manager, Mary Beth Abel  is departing as of today’s performance. 
Highly recommend this BWW feature: https://youtu.be/DqFvbcl7z_o?si=F2G9Lx4WuXTNrovL

QueenTwinnied
#974New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?
Posted: 3/31/24 at 4:21pm

I wonder why they’re hesitant to put Emily on for more than one show. I’ve heard some slime tutorials and she sounds fantastic as Elphaba 

Videos