pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 39

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#950SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/8/17 at 3:35pm

I'm selling two tickets to Sunset for Sunday 4/9, very good center front mezzanine seats including an aisle. Selling below face value and below current discounts. Please PM me if interested.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

xmaschild
#951SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/8/17 at 8:56pm

My 18 year old son and I were in NJ visiting colleges and we decided on a whim to stay over in NYC to see a show.  We come into NY 2 - 3 times a year to see shows.  He is a "theater kid" but his tastes run to more of A Gentleman's Guide and Something Rotten.  We got caught in a thunderstorm late afternoon Thursday in the TKTS line but managed to get 2 2nd -to-last row orchestra tickets to the show.  This was my pick, not his, but I wanted to see this since I heard it was coming.  I knew it would be good, but I was unprepared for how much Glenn Close's performance really got to me.  She simply was Norma Desmond.  I feel like I have seen one of the rare performances of a lifetime - it was a privilege to be in the audience.  And my son loved it, too - he hasn't stopped talking about it.  So happy we got to share this moment.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#952SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/8/17 at 9:14pm

I brought at the theatre , 3 minutes after the show had started on Feb 25th and was given a 99.00 buck seat 2nd row middle in the orchestra. I went to buy for the 8.00pm show and was told go now really great seat. Sometimes it's better to buy on the day 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#953SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 12:14am

xmaschild said: "My 18 year old son and I were in NJ visiting colleges and we decided on a whim to stay over in NYC to see a show.  We come into NY 2 - 3 times a year to see shows.  He is a "theater kid" but his tastes run to more of A Gentleman's Guide and Something Rotten.  We got caught in a thunderstorm late afternoon Thursday in the TKTS line but managed to get 2 2nd -to-last row orchestra tickets to the show.  This was my pick, not his, but I wanted to see this since I heard it was coming.  I knew it would be good, but I was unprepared for how much Glenn Close's performance really got to me.  She simply was Norma Desmond.  I feel like I have seen one of the rare performances of a lifetime - it was a privilege to be in the audience.  And my son loved it, too - he hasn't stopped talking about it.  So happy we got to share this moment."

So happy for you and your son xmaschild.  My mom and I saw the original together in 1994 a week after it opened on Broadway and then saw it this February a week before it opened.  It remains one of our all time favorites - and both of us have felt the revival was better and more effective than the original.  Havent gotten that score out of my head 2 months later

Now if they would only do a new recording

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#954SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:44am

For comparison's sake, my husband and I re-watched the original Gloria Swanson film last night. Swanson played the character like a madwoman right from the start, where the musical seems to depict her more as deteriorating over time, which I found more sympathetic.

It had been many years since we'd seen the film and I was surprised by how flat the last 10-15 minutes felt to me. Beginning with "the phone call", the proceedings felt relatively low-key and lacking in dramatic tension compared to the musical. When Betty arrived at the house, the interaction between she and Joe appeared almost playful at times; he didn't seem as bitter and disgusted with himself as the character does in the stage production. To Andrew Lloyd Webber's credit, the scoring of the musical at this point is far more threatening and fraught, and makes for a more compelling finale.

Also, I noticed that the film places the thunderstorm on New Year's Eve, where the musical (if I recall correctly) moves it to the final scene, which again serves to heighten the tension of the sequence.

I even found Norma's final descent of the staircase (and into complete madness) less gripping and engaging than in the musical. I didn't feel for Ms. Swanson's Norma at this point like I did for Ms. Close's character. Both are at times funny due to the inherent camp factor, but with the stage show my reaction oscillated between amused and heartbroken.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#955SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 11:19am

xmaschild said: "My 18 year old son and I were in NJ visiting colleges and we decided on a whim to stay over in NYC to see a show.  We come into NY 2 - 3 times a year to see shows.  He is a "theater kid" but his tastes run to more of A Gentleman's Guide and Something Rotten.  We got caught in a thunderstorm late afternoon Thursday in the TKTS line but managed to get 2 2nd -to-last row orchestra tickets to the show.  This was my pick, not his, but I wanted to see this since I heard it was coming.  I knew it would be good, but I was unprepared for how much Glenn Close's performance really got to me.  She simply was Norma Desmond.  I feel like I have seen one of the rare performances of a lifetime - it was a privilege to be in the audience.  And my son loved it, too - he hasn't stopped talking about it.  So happy we got to share this moment.

I love reading this, and of course I absolutely agree. I have never seen anything like this...she transforms herself into the character completely, it's very rare. Since the moment she sings "Surrender", which sounds like a lullaby, I forget it's Glenn Close, that big Hollywood screen siren, and you just think of Norma.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#956SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 12:46pm

I caught a matinee of Sunset Boulevard 2 weeks ago and never really got around to a review, but I was simply blown away by everything! Glenn Close gives a performance I feel lucky to say I've witnessed. I got chills during "As If We Never Said Goodbye" and I LOVE that the cast applauds onstage. Must truly be something special for them to be a part of it every night. The rest of the cast is great as well. Run to see it before it closes!

Side note: I got a rush ticket about 2 hours before the show and it was orchestra row T center. Perfect seats!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#957SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 2:10pm

Lot666 said: "For comparison's sake, my husband and I re-watched the original Gloria Swanson film last night. Swanson played the character like a madwoman right from the start, where the musical seems to depict her more as deteriorating over time, which I found more sympathetic.

It had been many years since we'd seen the film and I was surprised by how flat the last 10-15 minutes felt to me. Beginning with "the phone call", the proceedings felt relatively low-key and lacking in dramatic tension compared to the musical. When Betty arrived at the house, the interaction between she and Joe appeared almost playful at times; he didn't seem as bitter and disgusted with himself as the character does in the stage production. To Andrew Lloyd Webber's credit, the scoring of the musical at this point is far more threatening and fraught, and makes for a more compelling finale.

Also, I noticed that the film places the thunderstorm on New Year's Eve, where the musical (if I recall correctly) moves it to the final scene, which again serves to heighten the tension of the sequence.

I even found Norma's final descent of the staircase (and into complete madness) less gripping and engaging than in the musical. I didn't feel for Ms. Swanson's Norma at this point like I did for Ms. Close's character. Both are at times funny due to the inherent camp factor, but with the stage show my reaction oscillated between amused and heartbroken.

"

Lot - couldn't agree with you more.  The movie - and the original productions/direction by Trevor Nunn - really was almost too cautious in trying to recreate the movie in a musical reincarnation.  From the first moments of both the film and the original production, you felt that Norma was a delusional, arrogant, bitch. Her "Surrender" was more comical and her fit of fury to "Once upon a time not long ago..." just came off as furious - replicating the movie "I am Big"

What Lonnie Price and Glenn Close have done (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

this time around has made Norma a woman who was treated terribly by the studios and the fans who have forgotten her.  Unable to deal with that reality she has clung to this ridiculous thought of making a return (enabled by Max).  So from the moment she first descends the stairs to grieve the death of her pet - you see this tragic character.  And because Joe isn't being played as manipulative as he was in the film and the original - even he's somewhat sympathetic. 

That's why in this production the New Years scene seems less like the suicide attempt being staged as an attempt to make Joe feel trapped and more real...  Norma starting to recognize no one really loves her causes her  to slit her wrists.  Joe feeling responsible and some affection for her plight causing him to stay.

It's kind of the frog being put in a pot of water, and doesn't notice its' getting hotter and hotter as the heat is turned on to eventually boil him to death.  Which makes the finale that much more dramatic and thrilling.  Honestly - this production is a vast improvement over the original production and does enhance or take the story in a bit of a different direction than the film - which should be the point in musicalizing a film.  I can't wait to go back to see this again.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#958SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/11/17 at 4:38pm

florida theatre kid said: "
Side note: I got a rush ticket about 2 hours before the show and it was orchestra row T center. Perfect seats!

"

How much did this ticket cost?  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#959SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:46am

Over in the 2017-2018 Touring Season thread, folks are mentioning rumors of Sunset going on tour. Have any of you fans in this thread heard such stories?

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#960SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:29am

Lot666 said: "Over in the 2017-2018 Touring Season thread, folks are mentioning rumors of Sunset going on tour. Have any of you fans in this thread heard such stories?

"

So far we've heard:

- Sunset is extending on broadway with a new leading lady taking over (for the summer)

- Sunset is going to LA at the Ahmanson Theatre

and now - Sunset is going to tour

Just like the old days where there was tons and tons of gossip and rumors about the show!

It does seem like something is up.  Michael Xavier in a recent interview said he wasn't leaving NY in June and when pressed said something like "nothing definite at the moment".  So who knows

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#961SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:47am

I disagree with those who say Swanson wasn't sympathetic as Norma. What Swanson did inject into the character was this almost manic energy, which would make sense as she's only 50 in the movie but already a recluse. I think Swanson's interactions with Cecil B. DeMille are heartbreaking, and her Charlie Chaplin imitations as well as footage from her silents proved that she was a great actress. But most all I think the huge difference between Sunset the movie and Sunset the musical is that Sunset the movie is grittier, with more dark humor, and Sunset the musical is played more like a tragedy. For instance William Holden is more obviously a washed up, drunken rent boy in the movie than Michael Xavier in the musical.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#962SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 11:03am

chernjam said:

So far we've heard:

- Sunset is extending on broadway with a new leading lady taking over (for the summer)

Just like the old days where there was tons and tons of gossip and rumors about the show!

It does seem like something is up.  Michael Xavier in a recent interview said he wasn't leaving NY in June and when pressed said something like "nothing definite at the moment".  So who knows

As I've said before, I would love the chance to see Betty Buckley again, but my dream Norma, at this point, is Meryl Streep. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#963SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 12:48pm

chernjam said: "So far we've heard:

"

Mr Xavier aside, what I'd like to know is the source of these rumors. Folks always seem to post "I heard that...", which is maddening! We have no idea whether the notion came from a credible source (e.g., someone associated with the production), or simply someone else's wishful thinking.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#964SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 12:49pm

CT2NYC said: "...I would love the chance to see Betty Buckley again, but my dream Norma, at this point, is Meryl Streep."

Ms. Buckley, please! 

Can Ms. Streep sing this?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#965SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 1:09pm

Lot666 said: "CT2NYC said: "...I would love the chance to see Betty Buckley again, but my dream Norma, at this point, is Meryl Streep."

Ms. Buckley, please! 

Can Ms. Streep sing this?

Not sure, but I always assume she can do anything.

"

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#966SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 1:28pm

There are a lot of "A List" actors I can imagine would be great in the role- I just wonder about that whole "replacement" stigmata that still bugs certain actors of that caliber.  

I would love to see someone with a fresh take step into the role, even though I am a HUGE Glenn Close fan, another high profile new Norma would be amazing!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#967SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 1:32pm

Lot666 said: "
Mr Xavier aside, what I'd like to know is the source of these rumors. Folks always seem to post "I heard that...", which is maddening! We have no idea whether the notion came from a credible source (e.g., someone associated with the production), or simply someone else's wishful thinking.

"

Some of these rumors can be traced to Michael Riedel from the NY Post - who I'd say is 65-70% accurate on things.  He loves to stir the pot

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#968SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 1:36pm

poisonivy2 said: "I disagree with those who say Swanson wasn't sympathetic as Norma. What Swanson did inject into the character was this almost manic energy, which would make sense as she's only 50 in the movie but already a recluse. I think Swanson's interactions with Cecil B. DeMille are heartbreaking, and her Charlie Chaplin imitations as well as footage from her silents proved that she was a great actress. But most all I think the huge difference between Sunset the movie and Sunset the musical is that Sunset the movie is grittier, with more dark humor, and Sunset the musical is played more like a tragedy. For instance William Holden is more obviously a washed up, drunken rent boy in the movie than Michael Xavier in the musical.

"

Good points Poisonivy... (I think I was the one to make that comment) I guess I forget sometimes that Swanson ORIGINATED Norma and that the film is the basis of the story- so comparing Normas really is difficult on a bunch of different reasons.  I suppose it's more accurate to compare Norma to Norma in different incarnations of the Musical.  That being said, what Close- Xavier and the rest of the cast under Lonnie Price's direction has done for this work I find to be the most moving version of the musical so far.

castlestreet
#969SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 2:07pm

chernjam said: 

Some of these rumors can be traced to Michael Riedel from the NY Post - who I'd say is 65-70% accurate on things.  He loves to stir the pot

In fairness- Riedel is a HUGE Sunset fan...he has gone on record many times saying it is one of Webber's best scores.  I also know he is a MAJOR Buckley fan, so I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he isn't fueling a lot of these rumors HOPING something will come of it.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#970SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/12/17 at 7:24pm

castlestreet said: "chernjam said: 

In fairness- Riedel is a HUGE Sunset fan...he has gone on record many times saying it is one of Webber's best scores.  I also know he is a MAJOR Buckley fan, so I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he isn't fueling a lot of these rumors HOPING something will come of it.

"

Very, very true... and I'm all in favor of it if it accomplishes that goal :)  Of all ALW's shows on broadway right now, it saddens me that this one is a limited run.  That's just me though... Its one of my favorites, so I'm obviously biased

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#971SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 8:28am

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Charlie Chaplin routine was included in SB v1 with Ms LuPone. To me, the scene felt out of character in the movie and I'm glad it's not in the musical. I thought Ms. Swanson looked ridiculous doing that (she certainly didn't look alluring to Joe); it felt juvenile and "beneath" her character, who was otherwise always so grand. My mind just couldn't make the plausibility leap from a woman who used such an extravagant cigarette holder (for example) to one playing "dress up" like an eight year old girl.

Updated On: 4/13/17 at 08:28 AM

castlestreet
#972SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 9:10am

Lot666 said: "I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Charlie Chaplin routine was included in SB v1 with Ms LuPone. To me, the scene felt out of character in the movie and I'm glad it's not in the musical. I thought Ms. Swanson looked ridiculous doing that (she certainly didn't look alluring to Joe); it felt juvenile and "beneath" her character, who was otherwise always so grand. My mind just couldn't make the plausibility leap from a woman who used such an extravagant cigarette holder (for example) to one playing "dress up" like an eight year old girl.

"

I understand the point your making.  You have to keep in mind though that to that era of screen star, Chaplin was a God.  I always thought the scene in the movie demonstrated how desperate she was to keep Joe engaged and his mind from wandering.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#973SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 9:25am

Lot666 said: "I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Charlie Chaplin routine was included in SB v1 with Ms LuPone. To me, the scene felt out of character in the movie and I'm glad it's not in the musical. I thought Ms. Swanson looked ridiculous doing that (she certainly didn't look alluring to Joe); it felt juvenile and "beneath" her character, who was otherwise always so grand. My mind just couldn't make the plausibility leap from a woman who used such an extravagant cigarette holder (for example) to one playing "dress up" like an eight year old girl.

"

I think that lasted one or two previews of Sunset...  I had seen a video of it (and they're might be a pic in the "Sunset Blvd from Movie to Musical" book - will look when I'm home on Easter)

castlestreet
#974SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:55am

I'll snap a picture from the OLC souvenir book tonight and post when I get home!

Videos