pixeltracker

Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie- Page 4

Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#75re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 7/23/10 at 7:38am

I remember the GREASE phenomenon and that there were those who thought it would be a joke.

I don't know... I really think this will be a "cult" thing if it goes with great casting. I will see it. and as for the non-book issue. I think it may transcend on film just fine.

"it's a dirty little war"

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#76re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 7/23/10 at 8:52am

I think Rock of Ages has the right stuff to be a fun movie, given the right casting and vision of the director.

That said, I don't think Seth Rogen as Lonny is necessarily the right step in that direction. Neither is Miley Cyrus as Sherrie as has been bandied about. Cyrus is a deal breaker for me. Won't see it if she is in it.

I think Dee Snider as Dennis, Whitney Houston as Justice, Neil Patrick Harris as Franz, and Will Ferrell as Hans would be interesting. I also think Constantine Maroulis is the clear choice for Drew. The guy has earned it and has appeared on enough TV so he is recognizable to the masses.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#77re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 7/23/10 at 10:41am

I don't quite see Dee Snider as Dennis, but I'm sure he's gonna get a cameo in this film somewhere. I'd love to see him and Bret Michaels as the two record producers, Alice Cooper as the Mayor, Craig Robinson as Ja'Keith Gill, and Will Arnett, probably the king of thankless cameo roles in comedy films, as Joey Primo.

As far as Sherrie... I hate to say it, but all signs DO seem to point to Miley- sudden association with Adam Shankman, ditching the good girl country image, trying to take serious film material, etc. However, it's not all bad news. Miley seems willing to genuinely change her entire style to fit the film. I discovered in looking up articles about her and Rock of Ages that during her recent concerts, she has devoted almost half her stage time to her heroes of Eighties hair-metal, performing long sections of Joan Jett songs and often closing with "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." Surprisingly, critics like her better singing these songs than they do when she does her own material, and no one has accused her of lip-syncing yet. So could this be Rock of Ages jumping the shark, or teen pop sensation Miley Cyrus changing her career path? Who knows.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#78re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 7/23/10 at 12:51pm

I just don't see how making a ROck of Ages movie is any different than making any other movie musical. WHo is to say what show, or concepts, deserve the film treatment?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#79re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 7/23/10 at 1:09pm

Exactly. What I'm most curious about with this upcoming project is the treatment itself. Rock of Ages depends a lot on audience interaction and the very art of making a musical. How will that be revised and translated to the screen? Will Lonny still be as forward of a narrator figure?

Also, almost all musicals make some changes- usually additions and cuts- as they come to the big screen. What can we expect new, and what can we expect not to see, in the ROA movie? My biggest idea/suggestion would be this- no mid-Eighties movie of this kind worth its salt would be complete without a montage set to a Kenny Loggins theme song. True, it may not be "metal," but no one ever accused Journey, Styx or REO Speedwagon of being metal either. It's just an eighties rock trope.

faithanytwo Profile Photo
faithanytwo
#80re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 10:59am

Taylor Swift is in talks for Sherrie, according to an article I found:

http://www.newsinfilm.com/2010/10/15/taylor-swift-in-talks-for-rock-of-ages-movie/

If this is true, this would truly be an abomination.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#81re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 11:04am

Taylor Swift AND Jack Black?? Someone must reeeeeally not want me to see this movie.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#83re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 3:07pm

Okay, I get Katy & Blige, but Tom Cruise? What the F*ck?

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#84re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 3:29pm

Blige would be awesome.

Orangesaretuesdays
#85re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 6:35pm

I think it would be great as a live broadcast into theaters of the stage show much like when they showed the final performance of Rent in theaters. Just get an "all star cast" so people would watch it!

TheatreFan4
#86re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 6:41pm

No they wouldn't...

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#87re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 8:54pm

This is sort of the perfect role for Tom Cruise.

rorschach37
#88re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 10:10pm

Umm, Tom Cruise may be able to dance (Risky Business, Tropic Thunder, etc.), but can he sing?

Also, we all know Jack Black isn't exactly funny, but his personality really does fit the character of Lonny.

Constantine MUST be Drew in this movie, and I've been thinking of Amanda Seyfried for Sherrie.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#89re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/17/10 at 11:28pm

Love Seyfried, and if her voice can handle those songs without it sounding like a flat autotuned mess, then I'm all for it!

Constantine, IMO is too old and too.. uh.. not camera friendly.

rorschach37
#90re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/18/10 at 10:12am

How about this??? Queen Latifah as Justice!!! Updated On: 10/18/10 at 10:12 AM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
TheatreFan4
#93re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/27/10 at 7:42pm

How about this??? Queen Latifah as Justice!!!

OMG! I bet NO ONE has suggested her!

faithanytwo Profile Photo
faithanytwo
#94re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/27/10 at 10:19pm

Tom Cruise as who, exactly? Lonny?

This is kinda turning into a hot mess. At least they're drumming up publicity.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#95re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/27/10 at 10:25pm

It sid he'd been tapped to play a bartender. That sounds like Dennis, as Lonny and Constantine are easier to describe by any other thing than "bartender."

If so, he would only really have any solos on "Too Much Time On My Hands," "I Can't Fight This Feeling" and part of "The Final Countdown." Out of all the leads, that's the last vocal-intensive male role other than Hertz.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#96re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/27/10 at 11:10pm

Yeah, I assumed it was Dennis, which is an idea I love!

massofmen
#97re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/28/10 at 12:28am

a hot mess? Tom cruise was a huge hit as Less Grossman from tropic thunder because he played someone drastically different than himself and people adored it. Same thing in this case.

Tom Cruise, one of the if not the biggest movie star in the world being in a movie musical? It's kinda the biggest coup ever. You think people went in droves to see John Travolta i think this will be mind blowing for the box office.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#98re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/28/10 at 2:23am

I'm hoping that Cruise plays Hertz, it would be funny as hell.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#99re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/14/10 at 7:30pm

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/column-post/exclusive-alec-baldwin-offered-role-new-lines-rock-ages-23240

Alec Baldwin offered Dennis. Also looks like Mary J Blige and Tom Cruise are all but confirmed as Justice and Stacee Jaxx, respectively. FIlming is planned for March.

Honestly, I think Alec is a whole lot more Dennis-esque than the previously rumored Will Ferrel. Dannis has always been the "straight-man", and Ferrel is way to zany for that, imo.

Videos