AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

PiraguaGuy2
#75AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:29pm

Yeah, Isherwood kind of orgasmed all over the show, which is strange considering none of his qualms from Berkeley went away.

Whatever. This show got 100% the reviews it deserves and it's pretty much snagged the Tonys for Musical and Set.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

FindingNamo
#76AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:30pm

"I'm always surprised at how mean people can be on this site."

Take my advice: don't go see a punk rock opera. It might hurt your feelings!

Great quote from the Times review:

The songs are precisely as articulate — and inarticulate — as the characters are, reflecting the moment in youth when many of us feel that pop music has more to say about us than we have to say for ourselves. (And, really, have you ever worked your way through a canonical Italian opera libretto, line by line?)

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

kidbroadway2
#77AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:32pm

And the Tony for best musical goes to....

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#78AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:32pm

Wow, flat-out rave from the Times. I LOVED the show, but I'm really surprised with all of the positive reviews since there were certain scenes/elements that I didn't feel worked. But I think the overall effect was enough that critics were kind. Congrats to the show!

Namo, I loved that line, too. It's so true! American Idiot's lyrics are melodramatic, but musical theater isn't exactly known for its subtlety. And who hasn't been at that age where you quote song lyrics because you think they're the only way to describe how you feel? Updated On: 4/20/10 at 10:32 PM

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#79AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:33pm

"..YES that it bloody good singing."

Okay, I just have to add my 2 cents. I agree that from what I've seen and heard it is good singing. And appropriate to the material. Not all songs styles require vibrato. That's why opera singers sometimes mangle good show tunes. (Not counting shows who have music written with opera singers in mind like South Pacific.)

It is a personal preference of course and a matter of stylistic interpretation but I think they made the right choice with this material. Strong vibrato would sound ridiculous with these songs.

I wish them all good luck and congratulations.

FindingNamo
#80AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:35pm

But that vibrato would make certain people more comfortable.

Brick
#81AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:39pm

Why is anyone surprised Isherwood liked it? He liked it in Berkeley. It didn't have qualms with the lack of characterization or book. Worse, he excused them.

I agree Best Musical is pretty much in the bag. Uhg.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#82AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:40pm

A lot has been said about whether or not this is closer to a full "rock opera" or a "theatrical concert" due to the amount of plot/character, etc. The easiest way to demonstrate the difference is with Roger Waters' "The Wall Live In Berlin" dvd, readily available online or in most record stores. THAT is equal parts rock concert and theatrical event, and the two forms do not always gel well together. Whether you love American Idiot or hate it, it's undoubtedly a more fully-conceived theatrical piece than WALL.

Pianist3912
#83AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:41pm

If you ^ meant "ugh," then I agree.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#84AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:48pm

It's a GREAT Green Day CD and I look forward to seeing the show and yes it will win the Tony for Best Musical.

And up on TKTS tonight: LA CAGE, NIGHT MUSIC, and FENCES.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

bwaylvsong
#85AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:57pm

I never said the lack of vibrato was inappropriate! I didn't even mean to imply it was bad! I just meant that I didn't like it! I also never said that the music needed a large amount of vibrato, but an occasional hint would have been refreshing- I just think it sounds grating totally without it.

"You nerds and dweebs should vote with your allowance money. Don't go to the show. Stay home and watch Glee and American Idol. Maybe, and I know this is shocking, American Idiot isn't FOR you? (I mean, obviously it's about you but that's another story...)"
Yes, I know now that American Idiot and punk music in general is not for me. However, if I had not watched the preview and seen the show cold, I would have been disappointed with what I heard.
And for the record, I DO want to see the show. I just have to go in prepared for a different style of singing than I'm used to.

"From someone who’s worked as a singer and dancer in West End musicals for years i can say YES that it bloody good singing. The cast sound fantastic, the harmonies in the songs are beautiful and as they capture the essence of the music with ease. I don't know how anyone (unless their 80 years old) can hear that and not hear how great the cast sound"
It's just my opinion! Again, I shouldn't have said it wasn't GOOD singing, but I thought I made it pretty clear that I just didn't LIKE the sound but have plenty of respect for all involved, and would even do it myself if the opportunity arose!

"Oh geez. Vibrato? Is this conversation really happening?"
Yes! Like HeyMrMusic said, this is musical theater! Even if the music is the same as on the Green Day album, the context is different and it can thus be sung differently. If it were up to me, I obviously wouldn't use as much vibrato as I would in a more traditional show, but I wouldn't take the lack thereof to such an extreme- I think SA found a good medium that would work very well with this show.

Again, I'm very happy for all of their wonderful reviews and hope they run forever. My original post was just a reaction to hearing something totally new to me.

broadwayboy987
#86AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:58pm

Great reviews! Really hope to see it. Cheers to a great run (and I raise my glass haha)

To sum it all up:
Boston Herald - Mixed
Backstage.com - Positive
The Chicago Tribune - Positive
The Associated Press - Mixed to Positive
USA Today - Positive
The Hollywood Reporter - Mixed
EW - Mixed to Positive
Finacial Times - Positive
The New York Times – Rave

FindingNamo
#87AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:01pm

"More vibrato!" is gonna be the "More cowbell!" of the '10s.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#88AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:04pm

I am going into "annoying tourist" mode for a second - does anyone know if the Mezzanine Row N-P or the Balcony A-F are any good in this theatre?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

PiraguaGuy2
#89AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:05pm

Bloomberg is MIXED-TO-NEGATIVE:

Fans of Green Day may well find bliss in “American Idiot,” the latest rock concert to pose as a Broadway show. There are six of them, if you’re counting. With scorching arrangements by Tom Kitt (who just won a Pulitzer for his “Next to Normal” score), the songs sneer and whine just as a rock-n-roll concert ought to. Still, 90 minutes of barbaric yawp does not an opera, punk or otherwise, make.

Remind me again why financial papers review theatre?
Review

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#90AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:08pm

Because rich people can spend money on Broadway.

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#91AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:10pm

Does six of them refer to the number of Green Day fans or the number of "rock concerts to pose as a Broadway show?"

Either way, it's a poorly structured sentence and makes the reviewer seem more idiotic than he already is.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#92AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

Im thrilled this show has opened to good reviews, its a great show with a great score but the brilliant Greenday

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#93AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

Are you going to find a reason for every mixed-to-negative opinion on this show invalid, Snow Cone?

And does it take much of your brain to see what a financial publication might have to do with Broadway?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 4/20/10 at 11:10 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#94AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:15pm

I'm SO happy about the reviews! I admit that I'm an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy re: Broadway musicals, but when I see energy on the stage like I did for AI, it serves as a potent reminder of what live theatre can be all about. Congrats to all involved. Now, let's hear it for the TONY!!!!!!!

BroadwayEd

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#95AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:24pm

I'm so happy to read these great reviews. Congrats to the cast and crew.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#96AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:41pm

This is definitely a piece that is better from the orchestra than from the balcony.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#97AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:43pm

Exactly, bwaylvsong.

Namo, you rock my world.

Can't wait to see this show. I'm a little surprised by the reviews, but I bet critics are wanting to latch onto something good at this point in the season. Not that I don't think it's deserved (I haven't seen it yet so I don't have an opinion), but it looks like they just crowned our Best Musical. And Sherie will still get her Tony... for Best Book. AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

~Steven

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#98AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/20/10 at 11:52pm

thanks bjh. I can't afford orchestra. So, it will have to be rear mezz or balcony for me :'(

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

jeffmiele

Videos