pixeltracker

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival- Page 4

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#75Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:40pm

I like theatrekid's thinking. Why don't we just wait and see?

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

gcal
#76Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:43pm

Victoria Clark?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#77Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:44pm

The only truly unique individual musical Broadway star I can think of in the last decade would be Harvey Fierstein.

And I can't WAIT to hear his "Don't Rain on My Parade."

I actually agree with MB. I would be less interested in hearing all the Streisand wannabes and more interest in hearing a truly unique individual talent as Fanny Brice.

Do they grow those anymore?

Does anyone still wear a hat?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#78Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:49pm

Actually, as our discussion goes, I think casting a man instead of a woman to play this role can lead to a new reading of the material. If they really are going to cast a male, I will be looking forward to this production (of course, they need to do it right).

jennafan
#79Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:15pm

The fact they are waiting 2 years basically shows they want Lea Michele. No doubt.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#80Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:22pm

The fact that they're waiting 2 years means they have no idea who they will cast.

Who's to say whether Lea Michelle will be available? If she's still on Glee, she won't get more than a 3 month hiatus, tops. And no producer will open a Broadway show with a lead for 3 months, unless it's a very limited run.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PauloFanClem
#81Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:40pm

It's hard to cast. She has to be funny yet dramatic, and cannot be too beautiful and too old.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#82Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:42pm

Lea Michele isn't available. Plain and simple.

The show's not going out of town until next fall because of Bart Sher's schedule. That decision had nothing to do with casting and everything to do with his availability.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 09:42 PM

PauloFanClem
#83Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:48pm

No matter what, it's good to hear that they are going to find new talents. I think that's Mr. Sher's gift to the community of introducing new blood.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#84Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:52pm

Lady Gaga.

I'll take the wind and soar.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#85Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:55pm

"Lady GaGa"

You might have been kidding but she's got the right look for it and I bet she could sing the hell out of it.

PauloFanClem
#86Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:05pm

I think Gaga has the look and got a good strong voice, but I don't think she has THAT a good voice to belt in "Don't Rain on My Parade" in order to give a tear-down-the-ceiling performance. Well... unless she choose to do the Bea Arthur version.

Updated On: 6/8/10 at 10:05 PM

matineeidol2013
#87Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:12pm

I actually was not kidding. I do agree her look is right, and if she'd lay of the liquor and cigarettes and buckle down with a great voice teacher she'd be able to sing it. None of us know if she can act, but with a mind as innovative and creative as her's I'd think under Sher's direction she'd be able to create an amazing Fanny.

i_love_megan
#88Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:13pm

I would love to see Sutton Foster take on the role.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#89Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:15pm

Ooh bjh, I like the idea of Farah Alvin...in any case she certainly has the vocal chaps to carry it off.

She also has the comedy. I can't think of many actresses who can pull off both the songs and the comic aspects of the role. Farah was born to play this part.

PauloFanClem
#90Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:18pm

"I actually was not kidding. I do agree her look is right, and if she'd lay of the liquor and cigarettes and buckle down with a great voice teacher she'd be able to sing it. None of us know if she can act, but with a mind as innovative and creative as her's I'd think under Sher's direction she'd be able to create an amazing Fanny."

Well, I think the problem will be, if she's on the board, she will not willing to be just an actress in the production. She might want total control.

matineeidol2013
#91Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:22pm

hahaha so so true paulo

othell Profile Photo
othell
#92Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:28pm

I believe a new, fresh face is the best route. Of course it would involve an intensive talent search (not televised, please), but that might bring it a bit of attention. Lea Michelle may want it and may be able to belt it, but I feel it would be a mistake. Of all the others mentioned, Nicole Parker could be a good fit-- her stint on MAD TV shows she has the comedic chops, and she does have the pipes, and is not that much of a known name, so she could qualify as somewhat unknown. I trust that the director knows what he is doing-- he has a great track record. From what he says in the article, I believe it is implied that they will be looking at fresh faces.
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 10:28 PM

PauloFanClem
#93Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:33pm

I won't even predict the casting. I want Sher to surprise me, and I know he will. See what he did to South Pacific? How he managed to introduce a totally new face to the Broadway community that totally fits the character. Not only he has a good voice but he's also an acting talent, and evenly importantly, has an attractive look. Yet, Paulo comes from nowhere.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#94Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:45pm

I know this is a tacky idea.. but I honestly wouldn't mind one of those Casting Competition shows.

It might be a way for a producer to justify casting a talented unknown.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#95Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:57pm

I bet you that Gaga would be INCREDIBLE.

Why do people keep saying Idina Menzel? She's ALL wrong for the part, and she's WAY too old.

Isn't Leslie Kritzer too old for it as well?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Jordan Catalano
#96Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:59pm

Yeah technically they're both too old for it now which is a shame because I would have liked to see them both do it.

Kelly Clarkson displayed her acting abilities in her movie with Justin. I bet she'd be great.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#97Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 11:20pm

I'm with rOcKS. Idina Menzel.

She'd sell tickets, more than most of the other names mentioned in this thread would

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Jordan Catalano
#98Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 11:23pm

Yeah, Menzel would sell more tickets than GaGa. Without a doubt she would. I mean, it's obvious.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#99Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 11:27pm

I said most for a reason.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Videos