pixeltracker

Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Reunion- Page 4

Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Reunion

AngusN
#75Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 12/21/11 at 6:08pm

I adore Kim Crosby, and would have loved to have seen her in Follies a few years ago. She has such a beautiful soprano voice, her daughter is also very talented.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#76Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 12/21/11 at 6:14pm

JORDAN: Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Reunion

SANTA: Well Jordan, my records this year have you down for enough coal to make Loretta Lynn's father jealous. Come over here, sit on my knee and tell me what you're willing to do for it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#77Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 12/21/11 at 6:23pm

Dear Santa,

I'll do whatever it takes.

WHATEVER it takes.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#78Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 12/21/11 at 10:54pm

Crosby really was perfection as Cinderella. I have yet to see/hear another actress who was as good.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#79Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 12/21/11 at 10:56pm

Maybe she can team up with Stills, Nash & Young for a benefit concert.

Jordan Catalano
#80Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 1:27am

Dear Santa,

12.5 hours until it happens. And then 5 hours later I'll get to see it again.

Thank you and I love you,
JC

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#81Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 6:56am

Getting ready to step on the he bus to NY.  20th Century fist, then to Brooklyn!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#82Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 8:40am

Seeing it tonight. It's going to be SOOOOOOO good.

dramamama611
#83Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 1:40pm

Anyone have any restaurant suggestions nearby?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#84Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 2:08pm

I'll be there tonight! Really looking forward to this, I think it'll be fantastic.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano
#85Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 3:34pm

Intermission now. 

This is so glorious. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#86Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 4:08pm

What is Sondheim doing there?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#87Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 6:31pm

Just got back from the 2 PM performance. It. Was. Amazing.

For those wondering about the style of the performance, there were interviews with Sondheim and Lapine and cast members. Cast members performed as well. Lots of discussion about the creation of the show, the casting of the show (how they all "got the call"), the cast's relationships, and the show's themes.

Mo Rocca was a great moderator. Kept the reunion flowing and asked great questions. He opened the show with Sondheim and Lapine (who received standing ovations as they entered together). They discussed the early creation of the show and how it came to be the musical we love today.

Enter Chip Zien and Joanna Gleason. They discuss their casting (Chip did Cinderella's Prince in early readings, btw), and you can clearly tell they both have tremendous chemistry together. They honored Tom Aldredge. They both preformed "It Takes Two" and it was perfect. Zien performed "No More" and sung both parts. The discussion lead to connections to Father's Day, too.

Enter Kim Crosby. She went right into "On The Steps of the Palace" and was great. Not as strong vocally as Gleason and Zien, but very well done. Robert Westenberg came out. Lots of discussion on their marriage and Westenberg's original Wolf costume. He went to perform "Hello, Little Girl" as Danielle Ferland joined him. Very well done. Danielle Ferland continued with "I Know Things Now" which was a crowd pleaser. Ben Wright performed "Giants in the Sky" and it was unbelievable. Ferland and Wright discussed their friendship and careers. Gleason and Westenberg came back out for stunning performances "Any Moment" and "Moments in the Woods." Fun fact, Gleason discussed this scene with Sondheim during the construction of the show and said that she felt her character was "in the wrong story." Hence the lyric. Act I lasted 90 minutes.

Bernadette Peters came out to another standing ovation with Lapine and Sondheim the start of Act II. She did the witches rap (hilarious, perfect), "Stay With Me" and other cast members reappeared for "Your Fault" and "Last Midnight." She's still a powerhouse with these songs. Full cast was on stage for a bit discussing themes, Lapine and Sondheim, favorite lyrics, and how the show stuck with them. The cast took the stage for "No One Is Alone," "Children Will Listen," and the "Finale."

Wonderful afternoon. Fantastic performances. I had been listening to the original cast recording for over a decade, falling in love with the show, catching "as many original cast members on stage as I can" when I was growing up, and watching the PBS DVD a few times a year. Today was a wonderful experience. A true treasure in my collection of tickets and Playbills and theatre going experiences.

FYI: I'm exhausted. Sorry if I messed up anything in this review or forgot something that occured!

Updated On: 6/21/15 at 06:31 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#88Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 7:07pm

Why am I not in the city right now?  I would've done many illegal things to see this.

dramamama611
#89Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 10:40pm

The only way to describe this evening is sheer joy.  On the stage and in the house.  Completely contented.  

Updated On: 6/22/15 at 10:40 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#90Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 11:12pm

Wow, what an exciting night! Unfortunately I arrived about five minutes late (I will forever curse the MTA and their terrible service), but the whole event was so much fun that it didn't matter. It was great to hear everyone's recollections about the original production, but the highlight were the performances. Regardless of some older voices and lowered keys, it was magical to see these performers embody the roles as wonderfully as they did in 1987- or at least as wonderfully as they do on the DVD. Ben Wright got a huge hand for Giants in the Sky, which still sounded gorgeous, but Bernadette tore the damn roof off the place with Last Midnight, it was absolutely perfection. And of course the tears were flowing at the end with No One is Alone. Just a fantastic night from start to finish.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano
#91Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 11:16pm

Finally home. That was one hell of a day. I'd waited 27 years for this. I feel sort of "complete" now. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#92Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 11:21pm

An overwhelmingly moving evening. It was so wonderful to see that the show was as mysteriously meaningful to the cast as it was to all of us in the house--or more so. I loved hearing them describe the many levels of meaning they found in the lyrics.

Oddly the most moving performance, for me, was Ben Wright, playing Jack 35 years later. He and Danielle Ferland were clearly so happy to have had the experience of creating their roles in such distinguished company. Ben Wright is no longer a professional performer, despite having won various awards during his brief professional career, and he had a little trouble hitting some of the notes, which, of course, were written for a 16-year-old boy to sing playing the part of an even younger boy. But when he got to the final note, he hit it big, and the look on his face was very Jack.

Then, when Mo Rocca interviewed him, he said that his singing nowadays is largely confined to benefits, because he and his wife have two children with Down's Syndrome, and they do a lot of work to raise money and awareness for people with Down's.

The entire audience burst into appreciative applause, and it seemed appropriate that this show about parents and children would somehow find its way toward helping children with learning and developmental disabilities. 

It was a small moment, in an evening of incredible moments.

But if life were made of moments...

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#93Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/21/15 at 11:54pm

Ditto to what the others said above.
It was such a special evening. Took me right back to the Martin Beck theatre-which was a home away from home for me.
I hope someone got this on tape or whatever you use these days. The musical moments were so wonderful.
You felt like you were at a special event and you were catching up with your family.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#94Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/22/15 at 12:16am

I was there this evening as well and it was so lovely. The show is clearly still so meaningful to the actors involved, just as it is to all of us. It really speaks to the power of the piece that they and so many of us are still finding new meaning in little lines and lyrics so many years on. I can't really say anything else that hasn't already been said. I'm so happy I got to be there. 

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#95Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/22/15 at 5:12am

Love reading all of these reactions. Sounds like a truly memorable experience. Would love to hear any additional stories the cast and creators told that y'all think may be of interest to the board.

"Ditto to what the others said above. It was such a special evening. Took me right back to the Martin Beck theatre-which was a home away from home for me. I hope someone got this on tape or whatever you use these days. The musical moments were so wonderful. You felt like you were at a special event and you were catching up with your family."

Did you work on the original production, Ethel?

ETA: Someone at least captured the last 1:15 of Bernadette's Last Midnight.  I love her "Cruuuuuunch!" at the end.  

Updated On: 6/22/15 at 05:12 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#96Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/22/15 at 9:20am

I will never forget that "crunch" for the rest of my life.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#97Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/22/15 at 9:56am

LOVE reading your reports!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

sng
#98Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/22/15 at 10:00am

that crunch almost sounded like special effect wow.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#99Dear Santa, I Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally Want a 25th Anniversary INTO THE WOODS Re
Posted: 6/22/15 at 10:02am

"I will never forget that "crunch" for the rest of my life."

Not gonna lie.  I've gone back and watched the last 10 secs of that video at least a dozen times.  It's so raw and unpolished and yet, somehow, sound exquisite as well.  I never thought I'd say this, but I kinda wanna hear what Bernadette would do with some full on screaming rock music.  

Videos