pixeltracker

Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October- Page 4

Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#75Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 12:10am

Also, for those seeking tickets, Dave said at curtain that an extension is very likely. Also, two got in by cancellation tonight.   

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#76Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 12:43am

How well did you follow the plot going in blind? I'm going to try my hand at landing a ticket and am not sure if I should familiarize myself with the music and or storyline (more than the brief overview that people give, anyway).

For context: I went into Great Comet having only seen the Tony performance and knowing that it was based on War and Peace- albeit not knowing what War and Peace was about beforehand- and found myself bewildered on both plot and music. After a day of mulling it over (and after listening to the soundtrack properly), I fell in love with both.

This goes to anyone who has seen/listened to Ghost Quartet: how much context do you think is necessary to not be absolutely lost (or do you think being lost is okay?)?

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#77Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 2:29am

Really glad to see such a warm review!

Would you recommend going in blind, as you did? I have tickets for later in the run, and haven't listened to it yet, and I am not sure if I should. 

theater_tech
#78Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 2:31am

Would appreciate any infos about the seating! I hear some are on the floor? Are they better than sitting on the chairs?

Cryoutloud131
#79Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 2:47am

Fan123 said: "raddersons said: "...GQ outside with a campfire in the middlewould be amazing -- except for the smoke getting in the singer's throats."

There was a campfire production in the Catskills in 2015! I was nowhere near it, but there's a link to some photos in my old post and a report from attendee tobiasragg in thisthread.

A tad off-topic, but here are some random tidbits of Ghost-ness:

I didn't notice this at first, but one of the character's names (though never outright stated in full) is Roxy Usher.

The final song, 'The Wind and Rain' (a traditional song not written by Malloy), sort of encapsulates the entire show's circular structure in microcosm. I mean... the song's lyrics describe a fiddle which plays the song 'The Wind and Rain'. But how could the fiddle play'The Wind and Rain', unless the song existed in finished form before that point? And how could the song exist in finished form before that point, when the fiddle's performance hadn't yet happened to be described in the song lyrics? *Head explodes*

Even more off-topic:given Dave Malloy's penchant for 'quirky' shows and stagings, I wonder if some day he might try to do a piece of environmental musical theatre of the typewhich involves audience members wandering freely from room (or space) to room, if he hasn't done so already? It would have its logistical challenges but could be fun. (This came to mind because I was thinking about whether a 'haunted house' staging of Ghost Quartet might work...)
"

Here's some footage I found on vimeo for anyone interested

https://vimeo.com/136343712

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#80Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 7:22am

I won't pretend for a second that I understood the entirety of the plot, but I would much rather have gone in blind and not fully understanding what I'm seeing than having a full knowledge of the plot. It really does come together so elegantly at the end, missing small details will not hurt the overall experience (but arguably going in knowing too much might). 

Such a cliche, but it really is a piece that should be allowed to wash over you. Having a drink (or two ??) going in certainly did not hurt and added to the convivial atmosphere.  I'll get around to listening to the recording this weekend with the wiki entry for a fuller understanding and hope to bring others when it extends, but I'm very glad to have gone in knowing very little about the show. 

As for seating, it's in the round (three sides). Floor admission comes with a pillow and are situated directly in front of the first seats. Reserved seats looked scattered throughout, but I managed a center left seat even though walking in 5 minutes before curtain.  I'm sure there's not a bad seat in the house, but I would recommend the center seating so as to get the best view of all four performers. 

Updated On: 10/6/17 at 07:22 AM

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#81Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 7:26am

Do you possibly know what time the people on the cancellation line got there and how long it was? Sorry to hound you with questions!

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#82Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 7:49am

Not a problem at all. Unfortunately, I do not know how long they waited.  It looked to me that there were two people in line when I went to pick up my ticket a few minutes before the show. Conceivably, they could have been the ones to get in. 

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#83Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/6/17 at 5:00pm

Just checked the NYTW website. Seems like they've extended into November, but you can't buy tickets yet and I'm not sure which, if any, are all ages.

Exciting!

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#84Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/7/17 at 1:27pm

Cancellation line had 7 or 8 people on it when I passed by. Ambitious, but good luck to them.

theater_tech
#85Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/7/17 at 6:19pm

Play Esq. said: 
As for seating, it's in the round (three sides). Floor admission comes with a pillow and are situated directly in front of the first seats. Reserved seats looked scattered throughout, but I managed a center left seat even though walking in 5 minutes before curtain. I'm sure there's not a bad seat in the house, but I would recommend the center seating so as to get the best view of all four performers."

Thanks for this! I have my ticket for GQ Seattle in January.

gimlet2
#86Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/9/17 at 8:39am

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns said: "Cancellation line had 7 or 8 people on it when I passed by. Ambitious, but good luck to them."

Cancellation line last night (Sun) had one person until I went in, not sure he made it in and there were 5 empty seats. Please donate unused tickets back to the theatre!

smokeline2
#87Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/9/17 at 6:05pm

I have a ticket to see this Sunday the 22nd at 7:30, but a potential conflict just came up. This may be a long shot, but does anyone else who has a ticket for the second half of the run want to swap dates with me?

(I'm not looking to sell it, I only want to give it up if I can swap.)

Relevance81491
#88Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 2:00pm

an extension has been announced through November 5th!  The extension includes FIVE All-Ages performances (most Saturday afternoons and one on Halloween).  Tickets on sale tomorrow at noon  

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#89Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 2:03pm

Going to try my best to get tickets. Would love to hear my reports! Anyone sat on the cushioned seats (floor)?

UrNotAMachine
#90Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 3:51pm

LesWickedly said: "Going to try my best to get tickets. Would love to hear my reports! Anyone sat on the cushioned seats (floor)?"

I was at the show on Friday night and I absolutely loved it. I had floor seats (on a cushion) and though the plot of the show is hard to fully grasp on the first listen (and viewing), that didn't detract in the slightest from my enjoyment. The score is beautiful and moving, the show is interesting and varied, and all of the performances are brilliant (especially Brittain Ashford, whose performance of one of the final songs is stunning and heartbreaking). She was terrific in Comet, but her role as Sonya didn't really do justice to her full range as an actress. It's a very small venue and it truly feels like you're part of a communal experience, maybe even more so than Comet did, because of how intimate the space is. 

Re: The cushioned seats (and really all of the seats), plan to get there at least fifteen minutes to a half hour before they open the doors (they opened the doors at 9:15 for a 9:30 curtain). The best cushions are in the row directly facing the two microphones in the center of the room, and since it's general admission by section, you have to be lucky and early to get those seats. Some people came in a few minutes after the doors were opened and they weren't even able to sit with the people they came with (not that that's such a huge problem). That being said, all of the seats are great, but the cushion people probably have the most interaction with the cast during the show as they're the closest to the performers.

Updated On: 10/10/17 at 03:51 PM

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#91Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 4:44pm

Do we know which five are the all-ages? The ones on Saturday at 3:30?

pupscotch
#92Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:47pm

Anyone know/remember how expensive their tickets were? I’ve been looking for that info and can’t seem to find anything. So glad this has extended!

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#94Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 6:11pm

Cushion seating was $30, general admission was $60, and reserved seating was $90. Plus there is a $4 fee on each ticket.

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#95Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/10/17 at 6:42pm

Wonderful! Maybe this time it won't sell out within seconds (wistful thinking?)

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#96Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:24pm

Annd was not able to secure tickets. Oh well. 

BroadwayBeebe
#97Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:52pm

I'm a little bit upset with NYTW as this is the second time I've lost out as a result of their error. I had tickets to the only all ages show which they released early on their fault and then took back meaning that all sales are final only applies to those who buy them. Then today I was 130 in the queue right at noon and by 12:06 I was #29 and then I stayed there for about 10 minutes. Finally I see on their reply tweet to someone that I should refresh the page even though the instructions clearly say not to do that. By the time I finally see this it was 12:20 and everything was sold out. I guess this just wasn't meant to be for me. 

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#98Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:52pm

I'll swing by the cancellation line on Saturday before 3:30 to report back on what that's like. Hopefully some tickets go out to people on the line.

zedpi
#99Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/11/17 at 1:01pm

Hey y'all I accidentally bought 5 tickets (1 general, 4 premium) for the all-ages show on Tuesday October 31 at 3pm. I was trying to buy two general tickets but somehow clicked general and premium and couldn't edit cart without releasing the tickets.. so yeah. Anyway, I want to sell two of the premiums in a pair, and then sell either 1 general or 1 premium. PM me if interested. I'll be there that day with a friend so I'll definitely be able to pick them up. 

edit: all at face value!

Updated On: 10/11/17 at 01:01 PM

Videos