pixeltracker

Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January - Page 4

Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:09am

mattmarkowski99 said: "Does anyone have a discount code that isn't BWAY week? Thanks!"

CHBBX22

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#76Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 7:22am

Jordan Catalano said: "Saw Jinkx tonight and my God, she was fabulous. The voice, the acting, the stage presence, it’s all just…correct. I truly truly hope this leads to more roles in the future."

Sucks that her Velma is AFW for two weeks though. I'll hold off until Lana is back to see this again. I'm also a big fan of James T Lane.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jarethan
#77Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 1:49pm

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Balcony2 said: "I believe we're witnessing something legendary."

I mean, legendary? Probably not. Saw it a few days ago. It was entertaining.

LuPone in Gypsy is Legendary.

Peters in Follies is legendary.

JHol in Dreamgirls, legendary.

This was smart stunt casting in a relatively small role. Jinkx doesn't carry the show. Charlo does.

That's the truly legendary performance you're seeing in Chicago at the moment.

I agree with your premise, just not one of your examples.

I love BP, but her performance in Follies was not legendary...the last production of Follies was the only one I have ever seen where the male leads were better than the women.  BP was on-the-ledge from her entrance, with nowhere to go.  As great a performer as BP is -- and she has a legendary theatre career -- I am not sure that she has ever given a single performance that rates legendary.

I agree re LuPone and Holliday.  They are legendary performances.  Lansbury in Mame and Gypsy are legendary performances; Nathan Lane in The Producers; Joel Grey in Cabaret; Dewhurst and Robards in Moon for the Misbegotten; Zoe Caldwell for Jean Brodie; Barbara Harris for The Apple Tree; James Earl Jones for The Great White Hope and Fences; Barbra Streisand for Funny Girl; Carol Channing for Dolly; Judy Holliday for Bells are Ringing; Mary Martin for Peter Pan; Ethel Merman for Gypsy and Girl Crazy; Yul Btynner for The King and I; Gwen Verdon for Can Can; Katharine Hepburn for The Philadelphia Story.  These are legendary performances.

Not Jinx Monsoon and not BP in Follies.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#78Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 2:13pm

ACL2006 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Saw Jinkx tonight and my God, she was fabulous. The voice, the acting, the stage presence, it’s all just…correct. I truly truly hope this leads to more roles in the future."

Sucks that her Velma is AFW for two weeks though. I'll hold off until Lana is back to see this again. I'm also a big fan of James T Lane.
"

When did Amra come back? I was looking forward to Lana Gordon again

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#79Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 3:22pm

Amra appears to be filling in while Lana is on vacation for two weeks.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JeffDaEgg2
#80Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 4:31pm

Does anyone happen to know Lana's return date?  I'm particularly curious if she'd be back on 2/6.  Would love to see both of them at the same time if possible.

theblackumbrella
#81Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 4:45pm

Jarethan said: " As great a performer as BP is -- and she has a legendary theatre career -- I am not sure that she has ever given a single performance that rates legendary."

Bernadette in Sunday in the Park with George I'd consider legendary. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#82Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 4/15/23 at 4:19pm

Jinkx performing "When You're Good To Mama" on last night's Drag Race finale, and saving it from being a total snoozefest:

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1647046823318634499

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#83Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 4/15/23 at 6:58pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Jinkx performing "When You're Good To Mama" on last night's Drag Race finale, and saving it from being a total snoozefest:

"

I'd bet money the producers of Chicago get her back in the show after her tour closes.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#84Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 4/16/23 at 10:46am

ACL2006 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Jinkx performing "When You're Good To Mama" on last night's Drag Race finale, and saving it from being a total snoozefest:

"

I'd bet money the producers of Chicago get her back in the show after her tour closes."

I doubt it, she's also been cast in a major role in the upcoming season of Doctor Who. And no offense to Chicago, it's a great show, but it's the Broadway stunt cast ghetto. It was a good spring board to show that Jinkx can bring in an audience but other producers should have her name in their mouths for more ambitious roles. Don't let her just become part of the Chicago machine and come in whenever she's got some time down. She should be making waves on Broadway, not settling. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#85Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 4/16/23 at 11:31am

If Jinkx were to ever come back it would be years and years from now. Star/stunt casting for Chicago needs to feel like an event. If they have her in it constantly, it won't feel like as big of a deal and won't get people to rush to buy tickets.

I DO think they will start looking at other Ru girls though. Monet X Change could be a great Mama. Peppermint, Bob, Jujubee, Ginger Minj, Alexis Michelle, they could all do something unique with the role.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#86Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 2/12/24 at 9:27am

She's back, from June 27 through July 12.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#87Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 2/12/24 at 9:51am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "If Jinkx were to ever come back it would be years and years from now. Star/stunt casting for Chicago needs to feel like an event. If they have her in it constantly, it won't feel like as big of a deal and won't get people to rush to buy tickets.”

Well, guess what, Mimi.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#88Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:58am

Arguably, their best stunt casting in years. She’s proven that she’s not just a moneymaker, but a phenomenal talent who gives an incredible performance in the show. They’ll be smart to get her back whenever they can.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#89Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 2/12/24 at 12:01pm

And having her return for Pride is a smart decision. If anybody missed her last year, go! Even if the idea of seeing Chicago makes you roll your eyes. Jinkx revitalized the whole production.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/12/24 at 12:01 PM

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#90Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 2/12/24 at 12:15pm

Kad said: "And having her return for Pride is a smart decision. If anybody missed her last year, go! Even if the idea of seeing Chicago makes you roll your eyes. Jinkx revitalized the whole production."

Absolutely! There was an energy to the whole production when she was in it last year that carried through every number and performance. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#91Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 2/12/24 at 12:20pm

Odd it's just for 20 performances. Hopefully AFW is gone by then.

Updated On: 2/12/24 at 12:20 PM

Videos