pixeltracker

Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London- Page 4

Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#75Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/21/23 at 12:51am

But 1 example … is 1 example… 

But I get what you’re saying. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#76Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 3/21/23 at 9:12am

Is it selling well? I'd think those who loved the movie would watch this play regardless of who the actors are. 

However, for mainstream folks, I'm not sure if they'd be willing to pay full price tickets to see a play based out of a movie that they can watch for less than $5 online... unless they're huge fans of the actors Mike Faist and Lucas Hedges.

In terms of representation, what made BOYS IN THE BAND play revival so exciting a few years ago was the fact that all the cast members were openly out and proud.

Balcony Bill
#77Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 4/3/23 at 6:37pm

"However, for mainstream folks, I'm not sure if they'd be willing to pay full price tickets to see a play based out of a movie that they can watch for less than $5 online..."

Yeah...Didn't work for Moulin Rouge... And now that Hamilton has been filmed, who's going to go see the stage version? Also, the play is not the movie. 

"I'm tired of the sad gay play"  Then here's an idea. Don't buy a ticket for it. Write your own happy gay play and keep us posted. I'm tired of jukebox musicals. So I don't go to them. Saves me a lot of agonizing.

How dare they not cast an out gay actor to play the gay men in this play?. So I guess if we follow that argument, gay actors shouldn't be allowed to play straight characters? We are going to limit work opportunities if we go down the road of  "these "Fill in the blank" roles can only be played by genuine "Fill in the blank" actors. Or is it only when it comes to gay characters that you want that rule followed? 

Lucas Hedges is a superb young actor. In the movie Lady Bird, he played a gay high school student, beautifully. He was equally good in Manchester by the Sea. I have not read the interviews in which he talks about his sexuality, but though I'm gay, I also don't happen to care, if he gives a wonderful performance.

If I happen to be in London, I would see this production, because I am curious to see how it is adapted for the stage. Maybe I will decide it should have been left as a story and a film. Or maybe it will be a beautiful piece of theatre. But I'm not going to boycott it based on whatever the sexual orientation of the actors happens to be. 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#78Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 4/3/23 at 7:02pm

Thanks for bumping the thread for this extremely enlightening comment.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Balcony Bill
TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
JasonC3
#81Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 5/9/23 at 5:31pm

Story in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/may/09/cuddling-cowboys-brokeback-mountain-musical-oscar

"The result is no facsimile of the film. Entering the auditorium, theatregoers will see a sixtysomething man asleep on stage – this is the older Ennis, who is present throughout as he gazes back at his younger self. “It’s essentially a memory play,” says Butterell. “It’s about the deep regret that Ennis still holds on to. People often say Brokeback Mountain is a love story. I don’t think it is. It’s a story of fear, and how it corrupts love.”

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#82Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 5/10/23 at 6:24am

Thanks for the link.

This is a poor article that says more about the writer's agendas than the piece itself.

The headline itself "cuddling cowboys"??? "Brokeback Mountain Musical"??? is enough to deter some potential ticket buyers. Irresponsible writing by the journalist.

JasonC3
MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#84Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 5/11/23 at 7:30am

Does anyone know when the press opening is? I can't find it listed.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#85Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 5/11/23 at 7:42am

MrsSallyAdams said: "Does anyone know when the press opening is? I can't find it listed."

I believe May 18 is their official opening night or Gala night, so probably the day before? I keep forgetting they technically have two opening nights, as one is for the press, and the other is the official gala opening when the big stars come out to see the show. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JasonC3
#86Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 6/10/23 at 6:57am

On the new Brokeback-adjacent movie:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/pedro-almodovars-strange-way-of-life-is-a-queer-western-without-repression

"When the celebrated Spanish auteur Pedro Almodóvar declined to adapt Annie Proulx’s “Brokeback Mountain,” the job went to Ang Lee instead. Almodóvar later watched Lee’s version, and was so struck by an exchange between protagonists Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) that he spent years nursing a response. Two decades on, he’s unveiled a queer Western of his own: a thirty-one-minute short entitled “Strange Way of Life.” The film, starring Ethan Hawke and Pedro Pascal, is decidedly an original creation, but the rhymes between the two love stories are revealing."

Updated On: 6/10/23 at 06:57 AM

Owen22
#87Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 6/10/23 at 11:20pm

I didn't know there was a threat about this but I saw it last month while in London and didn't think much of it except for Mike Faist was kind of terrific, Lucas Hedges was miscast, the songs added nothing, and the playwright somehow made a bore out of a great short story and even better film.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#88Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
Posted: 6/11/23 at 6:24am

Agreed Owen. Mike Faist really elevates things and my god is he sexy. Unfortunately the rest of the evening feels a little flat. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123

Videos