Overrated Performers

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#75re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:37pm

maybe im going crazy, but when you listen to TTB, does anyone else notice that sometimes when Raul Esperaza (sp?) sings, it sound EXACTLY like Adam's..

I guess that type of voice just goes well with Jonathan Larson's music

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Yonah Profile Photo
Yonah
#76re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:45pm

I find Micheal Crawofrd to be overated. I liked Micheal Crawford a lot, until I saw him perform. I still think he's good in some shows, but he certainly isn't God's Gift to Broadway.

http://chianaq.conforums3.com/index.cgi - forum for Dracula: The Musical, Tanz Der Vampire, Elisabeth, POTO, Rocky Horror, Jekyll & Hyde, Wicked, Bat Boy, general theatre, and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicals

FrontRow
#77Gavin Creel
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:51pm

To SallyBrown--
I just don't see what's special about him.

Actually, I think he may be miscast in "La Cage." Or else misdirected. It's like they wanted to make him so hip. It just doesn't seem to work. But his role and even worse his girlfriend's are such horribly written parts (underwritten!) that it may not be his fault.
Still, I've yet to see him in anything that wowed me.

PleaseChangeMe
#78re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:52pm

I know you said majority, but I have seen her on stage in plenty, including Wicked, Steel Pier, and Candide, and IMO, yes she has a beautiful voice, but I just find her overrated.

As for Anika Noni Rose, she has a very pretty voice, and she just makes me smile. I love her.

bostonbroadwayfan
#79re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:54pm

Jason Alexander. Who told him he could sing?

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#80re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:59pm

I think Linda Eder is a bit 'overrated', I haven't seen her live on stage but I've heard the Jekyll & Hyde recordings and several of her solo CD's...she kind of screams too much, also (crossing fingers no one gets offended or interprets as disrespectful!!!) Carl Anderson (RIP). He was very talented, but....well, that's just my opinion.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#81re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:03pm

Idina Menzel
Idina Menzel
Idina Menzel
Eden Espinoza (not sure if she's rated at all...)
Harvey Fierstein
Matthew Broderick
Gary Beach (terrible)
Nathan Lane
Nathan Lane
Nathan Lane
Nathan Lane
Nathan Lane
Nathan Lane
Idina Menzel

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

insomniak
#82re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:14pm

Idina is good, not legendary and Mathew Broderick bored me to tears in the Music Man remake. Tell me he isn't that bad all the time...

I knew someone would mention Adam Pascal because, let's face it, he's not the best actor. Any of the regular inhabitants of the Love Thread will tell you that it only loosely revolves around the man who's name is in the title and I don't think any of us are terribly deluded about his acting ability (though I did think he did quite well in Cabaret. I was suprised). I absolutely love his voice, as I'm sure anyone would guess, but I and the other major Adam fans on this board are aware of his faults and somehow like him anyway. (And Plum, it isn't ONLY because of his nice body, as you implied) Anyway, please don't lump the entire group in with the likes of the twelve year old screaming Wickedites.

*steps off soapbox*

While we're on the topic of love/hate performers, may I ask why so many detest Sarah Brightman in POTO? I really don't think she's that bad.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#83re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:18pm

insomniak,

She's not an opera singer, and it's too obvious.
Besides, another obvious fact - she only got the role because she was married to Dr. Frankenstein...

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#84re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:33pm

Very well put, Nia. You hit the nail on the head about Adam.

Derech2
#85re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:14pm

AH! Another I forgot!

Sarah Brightman.

Ick. Maybe when she's not trying to sing like an opera diva she's decent (her take of Macavity from Cats I adored; she sounded great), but otherwise I cannot stand the tone in her regular singing voice. And she's too old to be dressing the way she does on all her CDs.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

munkustrap178
#86re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:20pm

Thanks for reminding me!!!

Michael Crawford. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#87re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:24pm

Slightly delayed, but great job insomniak.

I won't even try to step into this. re: overrated

A work of art is an invitation to love.

B.B. Wolf
#88re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:43pm

Word. Word, indeed.
Updated On: 2/25/05 at 11:43 PM

Plum
#89re: overrated
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:58pm

I actually wasn't really thinking of Pascal when I made my comment. Though the prettyboy accusation does apply to him, a lot of the fanaticism comes from the fact that he was in Rent, too. (And don't get me started on the way anyone involved in that show is raised to sainthood with very little reason.)

But at least Pascal has had multiple prominent roles on Broadway. He can be rightfully proud of his resume. No, I'm thinking of prettyboys who get craploads of attention and have done very little if anything at all on Broadway. No names, though. :) I don't feel like starting a fight.

munkustrap178
#90re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 12:03am

*cough* Cheyenne Jackson *cough*

luvtheEmcee
#91re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 12:06am

*glares unhappily at munk*

munkustrap178
#92re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 12:21am

*projectile vomits in emcee's hair*

Plum
#93re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 12:34am

That's a bit much, don't you think?

Hey, I understand the appeal of hormones as well as anyone. (You can look at my Fan Photos if you don't believe me.) But I just find it annoying when people ascribe to certain performers talents and accomplishments they just don't have, merely because they're nice to look at.

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#94re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 3:22am

Michael Crawford (the guys not really all that great. throat singing, horrible vowels, and he always seems to be just slightly flat)

Liza Minelli

Barbara Streisand

Sarah Brightman

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#95re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 9:50am

Plum, I've been meaning to talk to you about your fan photos. That one of Hugh dressed as Audrey Hepburn is quite disturbing...

luvtheEmcee
#96re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 9:54am

You're lucky I still love you, munk.

#97re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 10:00am

Wildcat - of course I had to go look at Plum's fan pics - got lost for awhile re: overrated

NOW, about YOUR fan pics . . .

parker russel
#98re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 10:39am

Just gotta say that Liza, Carol, and Ben Vereen are some of my favorite performers. They are able to make me laugh, cry, and thrill me every time I see them live.

And Hugh is pretty amazing too.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#99re: overrated
Posted: 2/16/05 at 10:54am

Have I gone too far?

Videos