pixeltracker

What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?- Page 4

What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#75re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:57am

The Lion King -- as much as I like the costumes, I think they make the performers appear less important than they should be. And in some cases, the performances didn't measure up to the costumes. Also (at least when I saw it), the entire cast was very unprofessional -- VERY noisy in the back of the theatre every time they entered through the aisles. Finally, while I love the African "art" appearance of the sets and costumes, the Disney "signature" that were put onto Timon and Pumbaa (like Disney on ice) really took away from the environment that they tried to create.

". . . POP . . ."

COOOOLkid
#76re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:29am

A lot of people who say Wicked is the best musical ever created are probably bunch of first-timers... Afterall, it didn't get that good reviews (mixed), and didn't live up to the expectation of most theatre-goers, so I wouldn't say it's overrated...

I'd say Lion King.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

bwaybaby13
#77re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:37am

cats, yea just didn't love it...

Without Sondheim, when sensitive teenagers got depressed, they'd just kill themselves. 'this is wanting something, this is praying for it, this is holding back and keeping fingers crossed.'- light in the piazza 11.11.05

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#78re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:40am

I'll agree that The Producer's is not the beast show ever on Broadway, but it is certainly a good musical.

That, however, cannot be said for the likes of Cats, Phantom and Miss Saigon. Yes they have some pretty songs, but pretty songs don't make a musical...

Broadwaygirl22 Profile Photo
Broadwaygirl22
#79re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:19am

The Lion King

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#80re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:23am

The Producers, Avenue Q and Wicked.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

#81re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:41am

CAT----w/o a doubt. I saw Wicked early on---(before the hype)--didn't expect much and so, enjoyed it more than I thought. I was bored silly at Cats, tho'.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#82re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:49am

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#84re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:09pm

The Producers disappointed me on so many levels. People argue that it's because I didn't see it with the original cast, but shows are supposed to maintain their integrity once the originals are gone, otherwise it just shouldn't run! I just thought the score wasn't that great and the material wasn't that funny!

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
#85re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:15pm

If you are speaking "overrated" in critics' terms, "Wicked" is not overrated. The reviews were less than stellar.

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#86re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:17pm

Yeah I got bored in the Lion King also, I forgot about that one. I was kicking myself for standing through it.

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#87re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:29pm

A tie between "The Lion King" and Mamma freakin' Mia. I was SO bored during the Lion King and the thought "How the hell did this get so popular?" ran through my head.
Same with Mamma Mia. Not only was I bored, I was pissed that I spent money on that turd.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
manders Profile Photo
manders
#89re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:41pm

Phantom of the Opera. The book was way better.

But the secret ingredient is love. Dammit.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#90re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:57pm

Overrated by teh critics or the public?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#91re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:58pm

Another vote for THE PRODUCERS...without Lane/Broderick, it's pretty shabby stuff.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#92re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:41pm

We referred to the actors we saw in The Producers as "Flop Sweat Man" and "Neurotic Nancy". I can't even remember their names, but they annoyed me all night.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#93re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 5:56pm

I'm actually surprised at all the venom aimed at The Producers - I thought it was pretty funny. Sure, not the best score of all time by any stretch, but it was an entertaining evening. Out of curiosity, how many of you who said you didn't like it aren't Jewish?

I'm also surprised that a couple of people didn't like Avenue Q -- if you didn't find that or The Producers funny, then what DO you find funny?

Of course, I'm sure there are people on here who don't understand how I can say I didn't really like Hairspray...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#94re: What is the most overrated show on broadway you have ever seen?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 6:15pm

How come I have to be Jewish to enjoy "The Producers"? (if that is what you are inferring, jasonsf). I just found it overacted, over choreographed and the music was forgettable.

As for what I find funny in shows...I don't know what to compare to "The Producers" for "funny comparsion". I haven't seen Hairsrapy, so I can't comment on that show. Let me think about that.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Videos