pixeltracker

Woman in White Reviews...- Page 4

Woman in White Reviews...

jo
#75re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:45am

Here's a solid rave review from NYDailyNews Howard Kissel --

https://www.nydailynews.com/11-18-2005/entertainment/col/story/366840p-312113c.html

re: Woman in White Reviews...

jo
#76re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:48am

Sorry,MB - we must have posted at the same time. But nothing wrong about saying something good twice re: Woman in White Reviews...

Jo
Updated On: 11/18/05 at 01:48 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#77re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 2:15am

Seems it's going to end up mixed to positive.
I can't believe Michael Ball is not mentioned more, I thought he was really good in it.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#78re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 2:36am

ALW's shows never get good reviews. People are always surprised that even EVITA was mostly panned by the New York critics (and it ended up winning the Tony for Best Musical).

But there are PLENTY of good quotes to pull from these reviews and the show is selling very well, particularly to groups, so I think it will be around at least a year or so.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#79re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:45am

To be quite honest I thought the video was lovely, a bit jumpy, but a few points were chill worthy. The voices of Maria Friedman and Michael Ball are fabulous, as are the voices of the rest of the cast and ensemble. I think it is a fabulous show, and will definitely be around for a while. The staging and style of this are are of a breed that aren't very common anymore, and the music is of a scale to which composers of musical theatre today don't write. I think that this show is definitely an aquired taste. With all of the rediculous shows that are opening or have been mentioned, I welcome Woman In White, and its genre back to the Broadway stage. Too many composers and designers today write music that is predictable and design the show in a very gaudy and overdone fashion; a bit more Vegas-ish, if that makes sense...We all have our own opinions with this one and in terms of the critics, they aren't the brightest individuals on the planet, lol. I'm excited for the Broadway production!

*P.S...Whoever said that it looks amatuerish must be completely blind, go get your vision checked!

Later!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

VinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
#80re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 4:12am

Well, there you go folks. How you could possibly call Brantley's review anything other than an outright pan is hard to believe. Because of the advance, the numbers will be good for the holiday season and then slowly dry up. I imagine it'll make it through 2006 and then waste away in 2007. Anyone seen namfug?

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#81re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:34am

Those reviews are mixed at best.

And Phantom, to say that other composers are predictable, UNLIKE ALW, is somewhat...strange.

Not even really the raves for Maria Friedman I was hoping for...

rockfenris2005
#82re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:55am

Quote from Kissel:

For the first time in decades Lloyd Webber has had the wisdom to use an American lyricist. The last time he did so it was dead poet - and cat lover - T.S. Eliot, whose words were sometimes muddied by the superlush music.

And what about Jim Steinman? Oh right... he's British!!!

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#83re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 6:29am

Wife and I saw it last night of previews. Wife was totally bored, I just thought it was "OK". I REALLY don't like the video set, I actually was getting a bit sick during parts of it as it moved (sat in Row B). The one song was great, but much too long to sit through for one song. Go see "Jersey Boys" first! We won't be going to see it again (saw "Les Mis" 22 times so far" - it's no "Les Mis").

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#84re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 7:36am

I wonder if it was the show they didn't like or because it was ALW who wrote the music. I mean, almost every blame in most of these reviews is directed toward ALW. I kind of think that if it was someone's name attatched to it that is would do a lot better in the reviews.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

VinnieTheIceman
#85re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 7:49am

Uh....I think I found out where namfug is. I think he won't be posting on these boards for a bit. He'll have to watch the pounding while in detention.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#86re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 8:40am

Brantley's assessment of the score at least has some back door nods to new influences like Britten. But once again, he's trashed for his (over) use of melody.

I personally think BEAUTIFUL GAME to be the far more ambitious piece, with a really compelling score, and wish it had crossed instead. I saw it near the ned of its run, eerily, just before 9/11. But its narrow milieu, subject matter (IRA), and gritty and profane lyrics no doubt make it a commercial nightmare. Too bad, because it really did take on the world we live in, without being too simplistic or sentimental. What people cry out that the musical theater is missing, yes? Lloyd Webber is rather consistently damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

LouW95
#87re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 8:43am

The one comparison that seems to irk Sonheimophiles is that Webber's shows usually make more money and provide more jobs. Art and genius are wonderful BUT our community needs tickets sales and jobs. This is not an opinion but a simple fact: Webber shows usually sell more tickets for a longer period. Disney runs a close second but is still new to the community. Steven gives us brilliance and many revivals but not long runs. Assassains, Pacific Overtures, etc.

LouW95
#88re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 8:44am

Compare show for show of each composer and see if I am not correct. Let's write some facts here not only emotional opinions. Updated On: 11/18/05 at 08:44 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#89re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 8:49am

Yes, the same way that Harry Potter will sell a lot of tickets and Good Night, and Good Luck won't. My viewing preference would happen to be the latter in that case, ergo, I'll be seeing Sweeney Todd tonight.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 11/18/05 at 08:49 AM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#90re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 9:54am

I have to say that Brantley got it right. I really thought it was mediocre at best. I didn't hate anything, but really didnt love anything either about this production. I did not see Maria, tho.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

junglered Profile Photo
junglered
#91re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 10:43am

I saw "The Woman in White" on its second day of previews. I generally agree with most of the reviews - I would give the show a "mixed" review, also. Individual performances from Maria Friedman, Michael Ball, Jill Paice, and Adam Brazier were terrific! The score featured some good songs early on, but it was generally cloying. I kept expecting the "Say You'll Love Me" refrain from "Phantom" to pop into the mix. The 180 degree video projected onto the backdrop moved at way too fast a pace. I wish the set designer had mixed some more traditional design sets with a better paced video. I think "The Woman in White" would struggle if a lesser cast was in place. The wonderful cast is the reason to see this musical.
Updated On: 11/18/05 at 10:43 AM

sharon1
#92re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 11:12am

I have to agree, every member of the cast is fantastic. Wonderful voices. Starting with Maria Friedman and Michael Ball. To me being able to watch two such performers is worth the price of admission to me anytime.

FriedmanFan
#93re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 11:25am

Rob (our webmaster) has done a Review Roundup for "Broadway Pulse" on Broadwaywayworld.com.
Seems he is VERY favroable of this production! Always great to hear from another WIW fan!

Here are his last thoughts after the review qoutes:
"Overall, The Woman in White appears to have quite possibly garnered one of the better set of American reviews that Lloyd Webber has seen in a long time, as well as a more enthusiastic set than the show received in London. Some of them are mixed, but there's more than enough positive quotes for this one's advertising campaign as well as raves for the cast."

This show has not been panned by any means. Ben Brantley didn't like it. Big deal. We all new what he was going to say since he already reviewed the show in London. That being said...his review was still not scathing! And he even says himself in the end "its not an awful show". Andrew Lloyd Webber never gets good reviews. I'm actually happy to see that we have some raves! Thats pretty amazing on its own. I love this show and won't let any critics opinions (good or bad) sway me from making my own.

VinnieTheIceman
#94re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 12:11pm

The show received negative reviews from nearly everyone. One or two positive and a few mixed. It's not pretty. You can slice it however you'd like, this show is in big trouble. "Saying Ben Brantley didn't like it. Big deal" means you have no understanding that this was the final knife into the show. They will discount like crazy to keep it going for some time and then eventually pull the plug. Sorry to bring the bad news once again.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#95re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 12:20pm

Vinnie, I think your assessment is honestly a little exaggerated. Many shows have had very successful runs without Brantley's (or the Times' endorsement). Quality or not, Andrew Lloyd Webber is still the biggest name composer of the last twenty-five years and because this can be touted as a show in the "mold" of PHANTOM, that will mean a lot to outside tourists, in particular groups who are less worried about a rave in the Times. EVITA, CATS and PHANTOM all ran years without virtual pans from the New York Times.

I don't believe anyone involved in the production of WOMAN IN WHITE was expecting raves - remember that most of these critics saw and reviewed the show in London.

The production team obviously was aware of this and I'm sure are planning their strategy thus. If this show were currently playing at 60 percent, the reviews would have meant more. But its at 95, so they are clearly doing something right.

snookyookums
#96re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 12:50pm

Vinnie, you have no idea what you're talking about. I know people in the show, and they had NO REHEARSAL on Wednesday. The matinee was cancelled because Maria was not quite up to two shows a day yet, and the producers did not want reviewers to see the show without her. That is the absolute truth. There were no last-minute fixes.

VinnieTheIceman
#97re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:09pm

They were tweaking this show until the very end. And, they knew what they with the critics in London and still couldn't get it fixed. Don't look at the grosses now -- they were sold long ago when there was hope. Look at the numbers after the holidays when the advance starts running out and they have to discount to fill seats. Won't work. No one asociated with the show expected it to be this bad and that they would be unable to fix it. It's a shame -- I like the show.

FriedmanFan
#98re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:18pm

Vinnie-
I'm sorry but your posts are becoming laughable. I completely agree with "Michael Bennet" Ben Brantley already reviewed this show in London. Do you not understand that? They already knew what he was going to say before he wrote it! Also, they are probably pleasanlty surprised that with all the "Down with Webber" critics that the show didn't get worse reviews. ALW rarely (if ever) recieves good notices yet his shows run for years. I also laughed at your post about last minute fixes on Weds. They already had press night on Tuesday and another on Weds. Obviously they were giving the cast an afternoon of rest. Plus there is a date that a show must be "frozen" before it gets reviewed. After that they are no longer allowed to make changes. So your assumptions and statements are just totally off the mark. Oh and I LOVED that you said Brantley's review was "the final knife into the show." Was selling at 95%during Previews the FIRST knife into the show? I am unaware of the many "stabbings" you are alluding to. Please PLEASE fill me in here. If anything, Brantley's review was the FIRST punch. A very weak punch at that, saying himself that it's not an awful show. Vinnie even you yourself said you liked the show. I am sure this one will be around for awhile. Sorry you have to bring the bad, I mean FALSE news once again. Go pick on another show.

Greg in Dallas
#99re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:24pm

I saw WIW in London about a month ago and could barely keep my eyes open. The set (newly changed in London to match the new Broadway set) is awful...there were times I felt like I was watching a Harry Potter movie and flying over Hogwarts!

The cast was great and had some amazing voices, and I do agree that ALL FOR LAURA was one of the best songs. Otherwise just a slow moving and boring show....If you see it and like it good for, this is just one persons opinion.

Videos