WiCkEDrOcKS
#75re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:11pm

Where are all these reviews??

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#76re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:15pm

you guys did kinda set yourselves up for this. Still, I hope it gets at least one good review.

....but the world goes 'round

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#77re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:22pm

re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#78re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:23pm

courtnyj - I'm not here to defend the show or attack those who didn't like it. Songanddanceman, if I've ever come across as "pouncing" it was never my intention.

The reviews are what they are. I don't think even the biggest supporters will be surprised by mixed reviews. They can write whatever they want, it wont take away from how much I've enjoyed following the process or my admiration for the tireless energy, blood, sweat, and tears, (AND TALENT!) they've all put into creating the show.

Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:23 PM

bardolator
#79re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:24pm

Yes, Stephanie made it on tonight, and made it through the show, and apparently did well, according to a call I just got.

Once again with the "anyone who likes this show is a fangirl," songanddanceman? I thought you and I, at least, had gotten beyond that. re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

MargoChanning
#80re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:24pm

Brantley is Negative:

"Many and exhausting are the physical activities that occupy the long hours of “The Pirate Queen,” the loud and restless musical that opened last night at the Hilton Theater.

Sword fights, frolicsome jigs, flag hoisting, rope pulling, stately processions, mincing minuets and hearty river dancing (with ship paddles, no less): such circulation-stimulating exercises occur regularly in this singing costume drama of love and patriotism on the high seas — sometimes, it seems, all at the same time.

Yet everything ultimately blurs into what feels like the aimless milling of a crowd on a carnival midway. The operating theory behind “The Pirate Queen” would appear to be taken from an appropriately ocean-themed bit of zoology: if, like a shark, it never stops moving, then it will stay alive. The optimism is misplaced."

Grace’s journey of the heart takes place in breathless double time, and it’s often hard to tell how many years have elapsed between scenes. The special-event pageantry of Eugene Lee’s sets, Martin Pakledinaz’s costumes and Kenneth Posner’s lighting rarely clarifies the plot. And Mr. Galati’s staging tends to step on what should be breathtaking climaxes or curtain lines. (I was never sure in the death scenes when, or even if, characters had really died.)

Ms. Block works hard to give a truly felt, realistic performance, and she sings attractively in her quieter moments. (Under pressure, this Pirate Queen turns into a Celine Dion screecher.) But the production keeps undercutting her, both by haziness of focus and a slow drift toward campiness.

The show’s queen of camp is, as she should be, its Queen Elizabeth, played by Linda Balgord. (William Youmans, as her conniving courtier, gives her a run for her money with an interpretation that brings to mind Vincent Price at his snarkiest.)

Ms. Balgord, who played Norma Desmond in the national tour of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Sunset Boulevard,” appears to be continuing that performance here, which is kind of enjoyable when you’re starved for distraction.

Mr. Pakledinaz has given her an increasingly deluxe and unwieldy series of queenly gowns, which wind up being high points of visual wit — or, for that matter, of any wit. It says a lot that the most compelling question posed by this fuzzy musical is, “What will Elizabeth wear next?”

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/theater/reviews/06pira.html?ref=arts

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:24 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#81re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:26pm

I wassnt just singling you out Popular but you have jumped all over people at times But hey your passionate about the show and thats cool.

The reviews though so far have not been mixed they have been Bad

Did not understand the bad review Stephanie got though? i hate the show but she was outstanding

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#82re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:27pm

again, with some creative editing there are some quotes there

....but the world goes 'round

brdlwyr
#83re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:29pm

Well, Margo, I know what I will read tomorrow on my door step.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#84re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:29pm

"Ms. Block works hard to give a truly felt, realistic performance"

Almost every time I see a review of Block in any performance, the critic mentions that she is "working" or "trying." It seems to me that if she held back a little, she would turn in consistently phenomenal performances. She's a great performer who I think has a tendency to try a little TOO hard. Not to undermine her or her talent (trying TOO hard is much better than not trying at all) but I really wish she would find a show/role that showcased her talents to the greatest effect. I really think shes a great performer and a wonderful singer.

songanddanceman2
#85re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:30pm

hey i never used the word fangirl did i, if i did im sorry as i hate that term.

All im saying is some of the supporters of the show got a bit heavy with the non supporters.

I love the fact that people are so passionate about shows , we need more people like that

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#86re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:30pm

Some of our bitchy remarks may sound ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than some of the rabid posts that have been made by the defenders of the show, and that's the point.

And I'm with Taz on this one - I don't relish shows getting bad reviews.I don't like to see such hard work go for naught. And there is (probably) a lot of talent and hard work that went into that show. But the kind of idolatry that doesn't allow for any other point of view? Well, yes, some of you have set yourselves up for it.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#87re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:31pm

"A singing costume drama of love and patriotism on the high seas."

Sounds nice.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#88re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

Ah, a good old Brantley pan. Watch. Clive Barnes'll love this.

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#89re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

Good ole popular! I was wondering where you were. I am not taking any joy in seeing the possible loss of jobs for actors, crew, musicians, etc...but these reviews are just confirming what many of us have said from the beginning. I also feel that when so many of us stated our OPINIONS we've been bashed or our opinions picked apart which is unfair. Anyway..I'm speaking for me and saying..I like your opinions Popular..you always make sense. But, this show sucks, lol..

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

Julian2
#90re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:32pm

Just a guess, but the adding of the adjective "working" may have something to due with her recent illness.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Julian2
#91re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:32pm

Just a guess, but the adding of the adjective "working" may have something to due with her recent illness.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Yankeefan007
#92re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:33pm

Brantley is spot on - picked out all the criticisms.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#93re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:33pm

I definitely agree with the assesment that Stephanie is "trying" to make the best of the sub-standard material. I hope we will get the chance to see her in a better vehicle soon.
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:33 PM

songanddanceman2
#94re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:36pm

bardolator

yep i just looked back over my posts and i don't call anyone a fangirl

so i will have a sorry and a box of chocolates please hehe x

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#95re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:48pm

“Free to be Grace/So I can feel the wind on my face!”

- LMAO. That sh*tty lyric is actually in this show?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#96re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:49pm

eekk.

'Pirate': Not really musical theater's finest 'arrrr!'
By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — Before such hits as Grey Gardens and Spring Awakening, it seemed the story-and-song-driven musical was in danger of being replaced by camp-fests that mocked commercial musical theater.
Now The Pirate Queen (* out of four) has sailed along to remind us why: because by the 1990s, the commercial musical had pretty much devolved into a tuneless, witless spectacle.

Queen, which opened Thursday at Broadway's Hilton Theatre, is the latest bloated opus from Alan Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg, the duo behind Les Misérables and Miss Saigon; and the best thing that can be said about the new show is that it makes their previous ones seem like models of grace. Teaming with Riverdance producers Moya Doherty and John McColgan — and Richard Maltby Jr., who collaborated with Boublil and Schonberg on the book, and Boublil and John Dempsey on lyrics — they've constructed a visual and sonic assault that leaves no audience-pleasing trick untapped.

This package is wrapped in a faux-populist, pseudo-feminist story line, revolving around 16th-century pirate chieftain Grace O'Malley, an Irish lass whose skill and fortitude in battle were matched, we're assured, by her passion as a lover and mom. Because of a political situation beyond her father's control, Grace is promised to a louse who can't handle a strong gal like herself. We know this because he sings, "I'll be rough when she needs it/Rough as seas ever were/Up to now she's been steering/Now it's time to steer her."

If those lines make you cringe, wait till you meet the English interlopers. We know the Brits are morally inferior because they dress and speak grandly, and their songs sound like Gilbert and Sullivan rejects, as opposed to the Celine Dion throwaways crooned by the Irish. But Queen Elizabeth I feels for Grace; after all, they're both women leading men, and they both have red hair that's nicely offset by their costumes — glittery hoop gowns for Elizabeth; for Grace, earthier garb in flattering shades of green and blue.

Step-dancing-soaked production numbers provide more distraction, while the Celtic-flavored score offers forgettable showcases for the vibrato-drenched singing of the principals, led by Stephanie J. Block as Grace.

The cast deserves better, as do the tourists and casual fans whom The Pirate Queen aims to seduce. I'd advise the latter to catch a community-theater staging of an old musical instead. You'll spare yourself 2½ hours of tedium — and I'm not talking about the commute.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:49 PM

songanddanceman2
#97re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:56pm

ouch

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#98re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:58pm

The reviews are what they are. I don't think even the biggest supporters will be surprised by mixed reviews. They can write whatever they want, it wont take away from how much I've enjoyed following the process or my admiration for the tireless energy, blood, sweat, and tears, (AND TALENT!) they've all put into creating the show.

Mixed reviews??? It was pretty much universally trashed, love.

I also wonder where all those who would start a PQ love thread per minute back in the day are now? Holding a vigil outside the theatre?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

MargoChanning
#99re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:58pm

Theatremania is Negative:

"Sometime in the late 16th century, Queen Elizabeth I held a Tudor tete-a-tete with a fiery Irishwoman called Grace O'Malley, who had made her name by doing some unlikely pirating and had become a royal pain in the neck to the virgin monarch struggling for a firm grip on her empire. Now, 400-plus-years later, this top-girls' encounter has inspired the only enlivening patch in The Pirate Queen, the otherwise bombastically mediocre new musical courtesy of Les Misérables creators Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg (with assists on the book from Richard Maltby Jr. and John Dempsey).

Directed by Frank Galati, with musical staging by Graciela Daniele, the tuner was imagined by Moya Doherty and John McColgan, the brains behind the wildly successful Riverdance. This producing pair apparently decided it was time to ratchet up that property and figured the way to do it was by putting all that arms-straight-to-the-side jigging into a plot. The result is something that could be dubbed Highseasdance. Moreover, the creators seem to have thought the sight of two headstrong women banging their strong heads together would have particular relevance in an era when even the little mermaid is beloved for demonstrating her female gumption.

It's the Irish Troubles early-style, all right -- only these troubles are not political, but artistic. Grace's plodding story never rises above the reason behind its inception. Worse still, the musical subverts its title. Ticket buyers under the Pirates of the Caribbean influence will undoubtedly think they're going to witness a lot of sea-faring adventure; they aren't, even though set designer Eugene Lee has outfitted the Hilton Theatre's proscenium as a seafaring vessel. There is, however, a fair amount of swordplay (supervised by J. Steven White) whenever marauding English soldiers loom.

No blame can be pinned on the performers. Block, who resembles Sandra Bullock doing Geena Davis, fights the good sword fight and sings like an avenging angel. So do McCarthy, Fraser, Chait, Balgord, and Youmans in their supporting roles. Galati and Daniele could have done better at minimizing the clunkery of the blocking, although fans of Irish dance will probably be satisfied with Carol Leavy Joyce's authentic choreography."
http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/10454

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:58 PM

Videos